Solved

Voicemail Number

Userlevel 2

Hi, I have just purchased a Samsung S23 and am trying to change the voicemail Number from +447782333129 to +447782333123, however it gives the message 'Failed to read data - your voicemail number can't be changed'.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks.

Alex.

icon

Best answer by Nikhil P 7 February 2024, 12:13

View original

132 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Can you dial the number from the phone keypad successfully?

This should be automatically picked-up from the iD Mobile carrier settings for your device @AlexMichaels.

Doing a NETWORK RESET might force your device to load the correct carrier settings from iD. 
The handset user guide should explain how to do this.

🤞

Userlevel 2

I can contact voicemail by dialing 123, however I wanted to change the number so I can access it by pressing and holding No 1 on the keypad.

I reset the network adapters, but unfortunately no change. 

Perhaps an update needs pushed out.

Thanks.

AlexM

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I can contact voicemail by dialing 123, however I wanted to change the number so I can access it by pressing and holding No 1 on the keypad.

I reset the network adapters, but unfortunately no change. 

Perhaps an update needs pushed out.

Thanks.

AlexM

Probably a question for iD @AlexMichaels - I’d recommend contacting iD support using one of their preferred channels:

• Online Live Chat at https://idmobile.co.uk/live-chat (via a popup window in a browser).
  • Sending a private message with Facebook Messenger.
  • Sending a DM using X (formerly Twitter).

The agents work until 8pm on weekdays (6pm at weekends).

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @AlexMichaels,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about the issues you are having with Voicemail.

I hope that the team managed to help via one of the methods that @andewhite provided.

If you still need some help you can get back to us here and we can PM you.

Kash

Userlevel 2

Hi Alex - I have got the exact same issue and I am being bounced back and forth between IDmobile customer services and Samsung.  Im on the chat again with IDmobile now but not getting anywhere so far.  I ported my number over from Smarty to IDmobile on 17th Nov and it all went smoothly apart from this issue with the voicemail number being wrong and unable to change it.

Samsung suggested I did a “Reset all settings” which I did but it didnt fix the issue.  They have escalated to their tech support but initial thoughts are it would be for IDmobile to update.

Userlevel 2

Jon, 

My number was also ported over from Smarty, I had both SIM cards in the phone and used the Smarty card as the primary until the number successfully ported. 

Perhaps the phone has retained the Smarty voicemail details as both Smarty and ID use the 3 network.

Userlevel 2

Hi Alex

Again, exactly the same as me in that I had both SIMs in my phone until the number completed porting over.  The confusing thing is that the SMARTY voicemail number is +44 7782 333123, not 129, so I dont know where 129 has come from.  Of course our issue is that we are unable to manually edit the number in our settings, presumably because a carrier sets the voicemail number automatically in which case this should be for IDmobile to sort out by sending an update.  

Very coincidental that we both had the same issue on the same day which makes me wonder if there was a blip in the IDMobile process when pushing an update to our phones.

Checking the IDmobile and SMARTY websites they both use the same voicemail number (as both use Three network I assume) which is +44 7782 333123, so no idea how we ended up with 129!

Userlevel 2

My number ported over on the 15th Nov. As you say it must be a blip in the porting process. Hopefully there will be a fix!

Userlevel 2

If I get anywhere with IDMobile or Samsung then I will post an update on here.

Userlevel 2

Thank you. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @jonlane & @AlexMichaels 

I see it was mentioned above that a reset of network adapters was done, but was a full network settings reset done?

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Tom

Userlevel 2

Just reset all mobile settings and performed a reboot. Unfortunately unsuccessful!

Thanks.

AlexM

Userlevel 2

As I mentioned earlier @Tom , I did a  “Reset all settings” but it didnt make any difference.

I ported over from Tesco Mobile a couple of weeks ago and I have the same issue.  How is this incorrect number retrieved?  Is it stored on the SIM card itself?  Could be a batch of incorrectly configured SIM cards?

I have tried different devices and it retrieves the same incorrect number

Userlevel 2

@Crispy123 Thanks for commenting - it shows this isnt just a one off, or even a coincidence now there are 3 of us.  I have just sent the logs and screen share of my phone to Samsung as well as made them aware of this post, but their current thinking is that it is an issue on the IDMobile side (although they will review the logs and confirm).

@Tom - any thoughts now there are 3 of us?

Thanks

Userlevel 2

I’m having exactly the same problem after my number was ported from Smarty to iD Mobile two days ago.

I can dial voicemail OK with 123, but a long press of number 1 on the key pad dials the number ending in 129 which says I have no service.

Trying to change the number in the phone app settings fails with the message:

Failed to read data

Your voicemail number can’t be changed

I’m having exactly the same problem after my number was ported from Smarty to iD Mobile two days ago.

I can dial voicemail OK with 123, but a long press of number 1 on the key pad dials the number ending in 129 which says I have no service.

Trying to change the number in the phone app settings fails with the message:

Failed to read data

Your voicemail number can’t be changed

Exactly the same messages and issues, having recently ported from Lyca in the last few days on a Pixel. Must be an ID mobile issue due to the variety of former providers and handsets. 

Userlevel 2

Possibly one of the configuration files that get sent to the phone by a new provider, in this case iD, has the wrong number embedded in it.

Userlevel 2

Well I’ve just reinstalled the configuration files but it made no difference.  Obtained here:

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/get-your-settings/settings-tool

Can only assume it is embedded in the SIM.

Userlevel 2

My other phone, which is on O2, has 901 which similarly cannot be changed in the phone app settings, but is the correct number and works with a long press on 1.

I have just put my iD SIM in this phone and it now comes up with the 129 number which I think proves that it is embedded in my iD SIM.

After putting my O2 SIM back in it has changed back to 901.

So, over to iD - please issue us with new SIMs with the correct number embedded in them.

Userlevel 2

This is great in a way as it makes it clear this is an issue for ID mobile to sort out.

@Tom - can we get some support from ID mobile please.

Thanks

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Purely speculation, but could the 129 number have been used by Three UK while testing their new voicemail service, which currently appears to be being deployed to customers using the Three UK network.

What happens when you dial 129?
Which handsets are affected by this issue?
Maybe the network profile for some devices has been misconfigured for voicemail services - using test voicemail service number, instead of live voicemail service number. 

Userlevel 2

IDmobile have told me 129 is not one of their numbers. Various handsets according to the various posts above.  We need ID mobile to comment on this now.

@Kash  @Tom 

Userlevel 2

Purely speculation, but could the 129 number have been used by Three UK while testing their new voicemail service, which currently appears to be being deployed to customers using the Three UK network.

What happens when you dial 129?
Which handsets are affected by this issue?
Maybe the network profile for some devices has been misconfigured for voicemail services - using test voicemail service number, instead of live voicemail service number. 

When you dial the number you get a recorded message saying:

“Sorry, you’ve not been given access to this service.”

Maybe it is a new 3 voicemail service which is just not live yet and iD are intending to migrate us to it later so are including it in all of their recent SIMs.  If so, I guess it will eventually start working.   

If this is not the case, then I think they need to re-issue all the affected SIMs with new ones which have the correct number. 

Userlevel 2

IDmobile have told me 129 is not one of their numbers. Various handsets according to the various posts above.  We need ID mobile to comment on this now.

@Kash  @Tom 

Three are currently quoting a number ending in 123 for their voicemail so it seems that is what the iD SIMs should have.

Why iD Mobile?