Solved

Voicemail Number

Show first post

132 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Some iD customers have already been moved to the new voicemail service, judging by other forum posts. 

Userlevel 2

Some iD customers have already been moved to the new voicemail service, judging by other forum posts. 

Can you link to a post about this - I’ve not been able to find it through the search function.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Can you link to a post about this - I’ve not been able to find it through the search function.

Userlevel 2

Thanks.  That is nteresting and seems to indicate that there is a new voicemail system, though does not confirm that this requires a different phone number to access it.

I would think that if they are gradually migrating people to a new system then they would do this by some sort of behind the scenes selective redirection based on the number you are calling from.

I think it unlikely that they would do this by making people use a new VM phone number, as given that the old VM number appears to be embedded in the SIM, this would stop the long press 1 dialling from working, and force people to manually dial the new number.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

FYI @FredJB, my voicemail has been migrated to the new service.

Being an iPhone user I’ve tended to use the Voicemail icon in the Phone app to access voicemail - just tried long press on the “1” key, which has worked. 

Perhaps there’s an issue in the Samsung One UI interface.

Userlevel 2

Thanks for that information.  Can you tell us what number gets dialed when you long press 1?

If it is the same number ending in 123 as before then it would prove that the number ending 129 that some of us have in our SIMs is just wrong, and is not there to access the new VM system.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @FredJB, the number called was +447782333123.

This number is displayed as the “Mail” number within the iOS Settings app, under: 
Settings > Mobile Data > Network Provider Services.

Userlevel 2

OK, thanks.  That seems to confirm what I thought, namely that the new VM system does not use a different number.

If that is the case then we are back to the situation whereby some of us have an incorrect VM number ending in 129 embedded in our SIMs.

We need iD to confirm this and to issue new corrected SIMs to restore the long press 1 functionality that we have lost.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

This issue will probably need iD support to raise a ticket with Three UK, which unfortunately is likely to mean getting the issue rectified won’t be quick. 

🤞

Userlevel 2

This issue will probably need iD support to raise a ticket with Three UK, which unfortunately is likely to mean getting the issue rectified won’t be quick. 

🤞

Yes, though depends on whether Three generate the SIMs for iD or if iD do it themselves.  If the latter, it should be a bit easier to resolve.

Userlevel 2

I have now had a chat session with a support person after getting past the useless chatbot!

They did not seem to be aware of the problem and the only suggestion was to send me a new SIM which is what they are doing, so I won’t know if this fixes the problem until I receive it.

They said that if it does not fix the problem to get back to them and they will then register it as an issue with their technical team.

I will report back here when I have tried the new SIM.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Good luck @FredJB - my suspicion is a replacement SIM card won’t fix this issue (with voicemail access from a long press on the “1” key). Hope you’re able to report otherwise.

FYI, replacement SIM cards from iD are NOT active - they need to be activated online before use.

In addition, to avoid the annoying 24/7 chat-bot, just type “talk to a person” after connecting to chat.

Userlevel 2

I have already been escalated to the technical team on Monday and heard nothing since, hence why I was hoping someone from IDmobile would reply to this post to follow it up.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Every time I’ve had a query passed to the tech team, it’s taken days, and sometimes weeks, before anyone replies.

Staff from iD may read forum posts once daily, but it can be less frequent. This forum is not a primary channel for customer support - use online chat, or private messages via iD social media pages.

Userlevel 2

Good luck @FredJB - my suspicion is a replacement SIM card won’t fix this issue (with voicemail access from a long press on the “1” key). Hope you’re able to report otherwise.

FYI, replacement SIM cards from iD are NOT active - they need to be activated online before use.

In addition, to avoid the annoying 24/7 chat-bot, just type “talk to a person” after connecting to chat.

Yes, I agree that a new SIM card won’t fix this unless they have modified their SIM card programming since the problematic ones were issued.  Thanks for the activation warning. It was mentioned in the blurb about the new SIM card so I was aware.

At the end of the day it is only a minor inconvenience having to dial 123 rather than a long press on 1 so I am not going to stress about it.  It’s just annoying that they have done this.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed @FredJB, at least there’s a work-around.
Perhaps most frustrating of all is the apparent ineffectiveness of iD Mobile technical support. 

Hi, I have just purchased a Samsung S23 and am trying to change the voicemail Number from +447782333129 to +447782333123, however it gives the message 'Failed to read data - your voicemail number can't be changed'.

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this?

Thanks.

Alex.

I also have the same issue, i ported in on 21/11/23 from vodafone but the number saved in the sim ends in 129 and not 123 so cant hold 1 to dial voicemail, anyone been able to fix, it looks like the field on the sim need updating.

Userlevel 2

Come on ID mobile tech support - chip in whenever you want now.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Wishful thinking unfortunately @jonlane

Userlevel 2

I'll get in touch with customer services tomorrow to see what they are doing and highlight this chat.

Userlevel 2

I have been on the chat just now.  I was told there is a note on my account saying “Sorry this device feature so we can't help if voicemail number is not calling out when pressing 1.  if customer wanted to access voicemail number then advise dial 123 or can dial +447782333123”

I told them about this community post again and sent them the link as well as pointing out it is now affecting several people so cannot be an issue with my device.

I told the agent I do not accept this as a resolution so they have logged a complaint with their complaints team who will get in touch in 3 days (not sure if I believe them bearing in mind they didnt get back to me with their “fix” in the first place).

Userlevel 2

Yes, that response is rubbish.  It can't be a phone problem if the issue will move between devices if you transfer the SIM card between them as I have proved. This incorrect and uneditable number is clearly provided from the SIM, and as such it is an iD problem.

While the workaround of dialling 123 is OK for the UK, if travelling outside the UK you would need to keep a record of the full number and dial that manually, whereas if the SIM provided the correct number you could just use a long press on 1 while abroad, so I don't think that is acceptable.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just to note that voicemail access, from abroad, is supposedly only possible if you’ve setup a PIN for your iD voicemail.

Userlevel 2

I just dont see why we should have to use a workaround at all as new customers.  They obviously ignored my reference to this post, so whats the point of having ID Mobile techs even on this community site.  It seems that as soon as it becomes an obvious issue with ID Mobile then all the techs have stopped commenting on this post and are ignoring it.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

In many cases, it appears iD technical support is provided by raising a ticket with Three UK. There doesn’t seem to be an SLA in-place for these technical support issues/requests. 

Given the voicemail service is operated and managed by Three UK for iD Mobile, there might not be a realistic prospect of this issue being rectified.

Why iD Mobile?