Sticky Tutorial

What to do if your new SIM isn’t working.

Show first post

449 replies

Userlevel 1

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

Need more info on this? Read our ‘How to check coverage’ article.

2. Are you using a compatible handset?

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

Tried the above and it’s still not working?

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Check that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

Have tried all above

Done it all

Want to know if my account is activated

I was told it would be by 1800hrs today, not happy

Userlevel 8
Badge +4

Hi @Lynda Fishburn 

Please note here on community we aren’t a live chat service so won’t be able to respond to every post quickly.

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Garpov,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Just got  my new SIM today but the none of my phone's are detecting the SIM. Can I get a replacement asap please.

Done all above and aim not recognised

well guys I’m having similar issues.

oneplus 8 pro. no sim probs for 2 years +

broke screen, replaced phone, another 8 pro.

old sim doesn’t work in the new phone. 

it initially accepts it, in some sort of restricted mode, no internet.

after a day it no longer detects the sim.

wiping switching reinserting - no sim.

it still works in the old phone. 

other sims all work in the new phone with no issues.

replacement sim:

the same thing happens.

it initially accepts it, in some sort of restricted mode, no internet.

after a day it no longer detects the sim.

I have been having these problems for at least 6 weeks and if it can’t be sorted I’ll have to terminate my account, its cost me money already.

I need to be able to use my sim in my phone, not just in my old phone.

I have been through all of the above and my sim is still not working. I have message on Facebook still no answer I can’t go to work without my phone tomorrow. This customer service is awful. I believe the fault might be because we didn’t receive our first SIM card so the sim might be blocked? Just says no signal? 

If you receive a new SIM card from us and it doesn’t seem to be working, we recommend you check a couple of important things first:

1. Check your coverage

Use our handy online coverage checker to find out the signal strength in your area. You can search by postcode - so you can check all the places you usually use your phone, like your home and work addresses. And you can view both 3G and 4G coverage.

If your handset isn’t approved/compatible with iD Mobile, your ability to use our services may be affected. Click here to view our list of approved and compatible handsets.

All the handsets we provide with an iD Mobile plan are compatible with our network, as you’d expect. So if you’ve got one of those you should be fine.

If you purchased a SIM only iD plan and are using an iD compatible handset you bought elsewhere with it, you should also be fine!

If you've tried the above and your SIM still doesn’t appear to be working, follow these troubleshooting steps.

• Put your phone into flight mode, leave it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
  • Restart your device.
  • Turn off your device, remove your SIM, and clean it using a micro-fibre cloth. Then re-insert it and try again.
  • Try the SIM card in another 'iD compatible handset', and test the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects. If you don’t experience any issues with the other handset, your original phone may be at fault.

If none of the above works you can post a question below, and we'll help you out.

Have done all these steps and even tried the SIM in a few different phones and it still doesn't work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Huwtdc,

We are sorry to hear this.

It may be worth visiting a Curry’s store so that someone can look into this.

If the SIM is working in another handset and other SIM’s work in the new handset it could be an issue with either.

Kash

Hi, I just got my new contract and phone, and the sim card is not seen by any of my phones. I went through all the steps advised, and it's not working. I thought it wasn't active but I checked online, and it is. Looks like the physical sim card is faulty?

@Kash not very helpful sorry i’ve already been to a currys and got a replacement sim. it worked at first, with no internet. after 12h or so maybe, it no longer registers the card present. this has and still is causing me grief. all other sim work normally. the two ‘identical’ id sim both fail in the same way as described above.

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

1. Check your coverage

• Restart your device.

Tried it all, STILL not working. NOT a great start to a new relationship. If no SPEEDY resolution, will cancel contract and go elsewhere.

My sim is not working despite trying the online chat 4 times now. The first person asked me to go to iMessage and enter my number, there was no option to do that. The second and third people assured me the sim would be activated within an hour and it wasn’t. The 4th couldn’t help me either. I received an initial welcome to ID mobile text with “your sim will be activated within the next hour” but nothing since. 8 days of paying and not being able to do a thing on my phone. I am close to cancelling as I can’t speak to a person on the phone and no shops to go into. Can someone contact me as a last resort please? 

cleaning the sim, trying airplane mode, taking the sim out, checking coverage in the area, turning the phone on and off I have tried multiple times and nothing works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @EmiliaL,

Welcome to the Community!

We can either get a SIM sent out or you can pick one up from your local Curry’s store.

Collecting one from Curry’s is the quickest way to get a replacement but you’ll need to get back to us to activate it.

Kash

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Have done all these steps and even tried the SIM in a few different phones and it still doesn't work.

Hey @mackroy57 

Sorry to hear that your SIM card is not working.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Mohammed

Userlevel 8
Badge +4

Hi @Huwtdc 

Does the SIM card work in other devices?

A replacement SIM card failing in the same way would indicate a device issue.

Tom

I am currently without a phone as I have been given a SIM card that does not work. Last time I contacted the live chat they told me it would be live by 6pm today however it still is not working. It says NO SIM on my phone even after trying all the steps in this forum. Could it be that the SIM card is faulty? How do I go about receiving a new one if so?

I am in exactly the same position, interesting someone else is too!

Hi @Huwtdc 

Does the SIM card work in other devices?

A replacement SIM card failing in the same way would indicate a device issue.

Tom

Doesn't work j in my old phone either

Ive just switched to IDmobile from Three.  My Three sim and service has been ended today.  Ive tried fitting the new sim and get a No SIM message in settings.  I’ve tried the following

Checked the coverage? - ID mobile covers CF62 8BA

using a compatible handset? - iphone 15 promax

Have put my phone into flight mode, left it for 30 seconds, and then disable flight mode.
have checked that the SIM card is inserted correctly.
Restarted  my device.
Turned off my device, removed the SIM, and cleaned  with a micro-fibre cloth. 
Tried the SIM card in an iphone 8 , and tested the connection in a few locations to see if the SIM connects.  - I get the get message no SIM in the iphone 8 as well as the Iphone 15

Please advise

My sim card isn't working and I'm not connected to the network since yesterday I can call or messge people nore resve messages or calls I've tryed all suggested processes nothing is working 

Ordered a new sim. It doesn’t appear to be working. Have tried troubleshooting all the above. This is a work mobile so I really need it back working again. Wondering if I should just order another replacement? 

Hi. I’ve just ported from GiffGaff and received my new pay monthly sim. 

the port seems to have completed as I have lost signal on my GiffGaff sim. The problem is my new iPhone 11 doesn’t recognise the new ID sim. Whenever I insert it, I get an error saying sim not recognised. I don’t get this error when I put the GiffGaff sim inside (although I’ve obviously not got signal any longer on my GiffGaff sim). 

I’ve tried turning phone on and off, and also toggling aeroplane mode, neither work. 

i can’t speak to a human from ID as I believe it’s all online. 

the SIM card doesn’t work in my partners unlocked iPhone 14Pro

Any help appreciated. 

Userlevel 1

I just collected a replacement SIM from curry’s and it also isn’t working. Instead of it saying “NO SIM” it now says “No Service” on my phone. However I have tried turning flight mode on and off, turning the phone off and tried it in different locations (even different towns) still nothing. The live chat doesn’t put me through to anyone as they are constantly busy so might just cancel my new contract.

My sim card isn't working and I'm not connected to the network since yesterday I can call or messge people nore resve messages or calls I've tryed all suggested processes nothing is working 

It wasn't a new sim also 

Why iD Mobile?