Question

Open Data Policy and Data Add-On whilst roaming in EU

• 11 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 1

I’m currently awaiting my SIM to be delivered as I’m wanting to try ID Mobile, but have a question about data usage whilst roaming in the EU (specifically Spain).

I know that since I’m paying £8 per month for 30GB of data I have an Open Data Policy fair usage limit of 6.17GB.  I see on the info page that it states that the surcharge does not apply to data add-ons.

I would therefore like to know if I can purchase a data add-on (15GB for £30) so that I can use more than my 6.17GB allowance whilst abroad and avoid the surcharge.  If so, would this add-on kick in as soon as I’ve used my 6.17GB ODP allowance, or would I be charged a surcharge on 23.83GB (my 30GB allowance minus the 6.17GB ODP limit) and then start using the add-on, or would the add-on avoid the surcharge altogether?

This topic has been closed for comments

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @Dae,

From my understanding, add-ons only kick in when your inclusive data has been used to prevent you from using out of plan data usage.

I didn’t think add-ons could be used abroad from past contact, however, the page does seem to indicate otherwise.

Therefore, if you set your cap to £0.00 to avoid out of plan spend, then purchase the add-on, you should be able to use data from the add-on once your fair usage data has been consumed. 

I’ve actually never come accross the situation before so that’s the only reason I haven’t given a definite response but based on how the systems work and my understanding of it, this is what I’d expect.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?