Skip to main content

Hi, 

I’m going to Tunisia tomorrow and don’t want to be charged by ID mobile for roaming charges, so I’ve turned off roaming and international calls on the app for my phone. I’ve also capped my bill to £0. I’m intending on using an ESIM from Holafly for data roaming, if I turn my data roaming off on my handset too will this prevent the eSIM from working please? I really just don’t want to be charged by ID mobile. Thanks in advance  

It depends.

IF the eSIM you’re using is in it’s native environment, then this won’t  count as “roaming”.  Disabling roaming on the handset will have no effect. As it isn’t roaming.

IF the eSIM is on another provider’s network, then this will count as roaming, and disabling it in the handset will interfere with intended operation.

Personally, I’d just disable roaming on the ID SIM in your account settings. Screenshot it. Then screenshot the page that shows you’re able to gain £0 extra charges onto your bill. You can then prove in court that you never intended for this to happen, and ID have told you it can’t. This puts culpability at their feet, not yours. Including legal costs when they inevitably lose.

Thank you so much for your response this is so helpful and I’m doing as you suggest now ☺️

Hi @Paulie752, welcome to the community!

@LordFeltchly is correct here. As long as roaming is switched off on the iD Mobile account, and your bill cap is set to £0, you shouldn’t get charged for any usage while abroad. 

-Lauren