Boost Your Mood This Blue Monday

Boost Your Mood This Blue Monday
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

January often marks a time of new beginnings and goal-setting for the year ahead. However, it can also bring a sense of melancholy for many. The festive cheer and close family gatherings of the holiday season give way to a quieter, more reflective period. 

Despite this, there are several ways to infuse your days with positivity. We have some great tips to help brighten your mood.

What is Blue Monday?

'Blue Monday' started in 2005 as part of an ad by a travel company. They said they figured out the saddest day of the year using things like weather, how long until the next holiday, and how long since people have been paid. But the expert who helped come up with this idea later said we should think about happy things instead, especially when making new goals.

Now, people use Blue Monday as a reminder to take care of themselves. Here are some fun things to try:

Get moving.

Exercise is a great way to feel good. It doesn't have to be boring; you can ride a bike in the park, go for a run, or play a game like football with friends. This can make you feel better, get you outside, and let you hang out with others.

Watch a Happy Movie or TV Show

Happy movies or TV shows can lift your spirits. Watching a movie with a good ending or a funny TV show, even if you've seen it before, can make you feel better. Try watching something like “The Pursuit of Happyness”, “The Sound of Music”, "Forrest Gump," or a movie with Adam Sandler. Watch with family or friends for more fun.

Go shopping for yourself

January is a good time to buy something special for yourself, especially with the sales. Maybe you've been wanting a new laptop, a trip, or cool shoes. Go ahead and treat yourself!

Read a Good Book

Reading can take your mind off things, which is good for you. Whether you like stories or books that help you learn, there's a book for everyone. Find a quiet place, turn off your phone, and start reading.

Talk to family and friends

We’re talking about the people that are always rooting for you, no matter what you do or where you are, in your mind and in reality. These are the people that make you feel better just for having chatted. They may be there for Christmas and other festive moments, but they’re also there when you’re feeling blue. Pick up the phone and call them, text them or set some time for a video call. 

Ask for Help if You Need It

Sometimes, feeling sad in January is more serious. It's important to look after your mental health just like your physical health. Talking to friends and family is good, but sometimes you need extra help.

Groups like CALM and the Samaritans are there to talk to you. Asking for help is the first step to feeling better. Remember, you're not alone.

Blue Monday Giveaway

To help boost your mood this Blue Monday, we’re doing an exciting giveaway! This is where the Community comes together and in doing so, the reward just gets better! 

To enter simply tell us below what makes you happy in life. It could be anything, from family and friends to trips away at the weekend. Once you’ve entered your response, click send! And you’ll be entered into the draw. 

You have until 23:59 (GMT) 1st February to enter at which point we will tally up all the unique entries to work out which prize you could be winning. So if you want a chance to win a Samsung 4K TV let's get over 800 entries! T&C’s apply.

The lucky winner (and the final prize!) will be announced on the Community shortly after entries are closed, so make sure you come back to check if it's you!

Here’s what you could win: 

1012 replies

The sheet enjoyment when I see my 4 year old granddaughter and she runs to me yelling grandad and jumps on to my lap, gives me a big hug and then starts pressing the buzzer on my wheelchair. It never loses its magic and makes me smile every time and afterwards thinking about it. :) never realised how special it is to be a grandad

Going for a brisk walk over the moors when the frosty ground underfoot crunches and hopefully the skit will be blue.  It really lifts your spirits and gets the heart pumping.

Go for a run along the Canals

Userlevel 1

The happiness from enjoying a homemade cake and strong cup of coffee in a cafe half way through a long cycle ride through the amazing landscape of the Peak District.

Spending time with My Lovely Family.

Sunshine, my beautiful wife, Photography and travel. Preferably all together.

Winning a Samsung tv

Userlevel 1

My wife

My children 

My grandchildren 

A sunny day makes me happy. The smile on my face means I appreciate what I have and a good laugh and family time is all I need.  😊

winning a television in a competition,

It has to be the sun! Winter sun, summer sun, doesn't matter, as long as it's warming up my skin. I'm like a solar panel who's mood is highly mirrored by the star! Sun screen and sunglasses are part of my life. Let's hail the light 🌞

January often marks a time of new beginnings and goal-setting for the year ahead. However, it can also bring a sense of melancholy for many. The festive cheer and close family gatherings of the holiday season give way to a quieter, more reflective period. 

Despite this, there are several ways to infuse your days with positivity. We have some great tips to help brighten your mood.

What is Blue Monday?

'Blue Monday' started in 2005 as part of an ad by a travel company. They said they figured out the saddest day of the year using things like weather, how long until the next holiday, and how long since people have been paid. But the expert who helped come up with this idea later said we should think about happy things instead, especially when making new goals.

Now, people use Blue Monday as a reminder to take care of themselves. Here are some fun things to try:

Get moving.

Exercise is a great way to feel good. It doesn't have to be boring; you can ride a bike in the park, go for a run, or play a game like football with friends. This can make you feel better, get you outside, and let you hang out with others.

Watch a Happy Movie or TV Show

Happy movies or TV shows can lift your spirits. Watching a movie with a good ending or a funny TV show, even if you've seen it before, can make you feel better. Try watching something like “The Pursuit of Happyness”, “The Sound of Music”, "Forrest Gump," or a movie with Adam Sandler. Watch with family or friends for more fun.

Go shopping for yourself

January is a good time to buy something special for yourself, especially with the sales. Maybe you've been wanting a new laptop, a trip, or cool shoes. Go ahead and treat yourself!

Read a Good Book

Reading can take your mind off things, which is good for you. Whether you like stories or books that help you learn, there's a book for everyone. Find a quiet place, turn off your phone, and start reading.

Talk to family and friends

We’re talking about the people that are always rooting for you, no matter what you do or where you are, in your mind and in reality. These are the people that make you feel better just for having chatted. They may be there for Christmas and other festive moments, but they’re also there when you’re feeling blue. Pick up the phone and call them, text them or set some time for a video call. 

Ask for Help if You Need It

Sometimes, feeling sad in January is more serious. It's important to look after your mental health just like your physical health. Talking to friends and family is good, but sometimes you need extra help.

Groups like CALM and the Samaritans are there to talk to you. Asking for help is the first step to feeling better. Remember, you're not alone.

Blue Monday Giveaway

To help boost your mood this Blue Monday, we’re doing an exciting giveaway! This is where the Community comes together and in doing so, the reward just gets better! 

To enter simply tell us below what makes you happy in life. It could be anything, from family and friends to trips away at the weekend. Once you’ve entered your response, click send! And you’ll be entered into the draw. 

You have until 23:59 (GMT) 1st February to enter at which point we will tally up all the unique entries to work out which prize you could be winning. So if you want a chance to win a Samsung 4K TV let's get over 800 entries! T&C’s apply.

The lucky winner (and the final prize!) will be announced on the Community shortly after entries are closed, so make sure you come back to check if it's you!

Here’s what you could win: 

Family, friends, food and foreign travel floats my boat!

Spending Time with the grandkids and family going for days out 

Just a warm sunny day - blue skies and a few puffy white clouds do it for me.

Family, friends food and foreign travel floats my boat on a blue Monday!

Fresh winter walks, no matter what the weather (within reason!).

"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing" as Billy Connolly says.

Although when it is too grim to go walking, then tea and boardgames win! 

My little boys laugh even when he’s driven me mad and had 10 times more sleep then I have 🤪

Userlevel 2

Spending time with family and friends 

Dog walks with friends 

My granddaughters!

Seeing my kids having fun 

Booking our 2024 holidays!😎

A nice weekend away does me good 

My granddaughter,  she has a mean sense of humour.  For example she was learning to read by letter such as a for apple in a picture of same until she had to identify the animal beginning 'ch' and there was a picture of a chimpanzee..... She identified it as a "ch monkey"

Hearing my children laugh- no better feeling or sound in the world. 

Why iD Mobile?