Sticky F.A.Q.

Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling

Show first post

109 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi Kash,

Yes - mobile is fully up to date. As I mentioned earlier - dialing *#*#4636#*#* for phone information, shows both VoWiFi calling is greyed out and activated, along with VoLTE (4G). Looks like it's non-tamperable / idiot-proofed against being able to turn it off 😂

Cheers,

Dave.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@boothy99,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Ok, thanks Kash ... just seen message. I'll respond 👍

No issues with WiFi calling though ... just curious regarding VOLTE / 4G calling & whether it's just automatically "ON" (with no settings to edit).

Userlevel 1

The preference system needs to be activated, as at the moment my phone can only get a weak 4g signal inside that doesn’t actually work when it comes to talking to someone but it is enough to stop the phone switching to WIFI calling.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Embattle 

Having swapped my SIM temporarily into my previous phone - Xiaomi Mi 9T, I saw that on the older android system's Network settings, that the "missing" option toggle for VoLTE was there. It was also automatically turned on. From that, I've surmised that on the Google Pixel 6 (android 13 or 14) that the option for VoLTE is fixed "ON" and hidden from being tampered with..

As you suggest, a fairly poor indoor 4G doesn't necessarily cause VoWiFi to kick in. I've since turned airplane mode on with WiFi also on when I've occasionally had that situation. Takes a few seconds or so for the phone / system to acknowledge that VoWiFi is then available, but works fine. Not particularly useful if you have poor signal but don't want airplane mode on all the time, but for making an outgoing call, it works fine as a temporary measure.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Embattle 

Having swapped my SIM temporarily into my previous phone - Xiaomi Mi 9T, I saw that on the older android system's Network settings, that the "missing" option toggle for VoLTE was there. It was also automatically turned on. From that, I've surmised that on the Google Pixel 6 (android 13 or 14) that the option for VoLTE is fixed "ON" and hidden from being tampered with..

As you suggest, a fairly poor indoor 4G doesn't necessarily cause VoWiFi to kick in. I've since turned airplane mode on with WiFi also on when I've occasionally had that situation. Takes a few seconds or so for the phone / system to acknowledge that VoWiFi is then available, but works fine. Not particularly useful if you have poor signal but don't want airplane mode on all the time, but for making an outgoing call, it works fine as a temporary measure.

Much like you I've seen the work around using airplane mode, however it just seems unnecessary if ID/3 would just set it up properly so you could use WIFI calling as the priority which would only really work in my home where I need it.

Userlevel 1

Yes, it would make more sense to have a toggle to prioratise VoWiFi in a poor reception area.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yes, it would make more sense to have a toggle to prioritise VoWiFi in a poor reception area.

I notice this option is available with Android on the EE network - well, with the Galaxy S10 anyway. 

Perhaps Three UK (the iD network partner) can’t support this option on Android, with the IMS solution they’ve deployed (for 4G Calling aka VoLTE and WiFi Calling aka VoWiFi). Otherwise, maybe Three UK can’t/won’t invest in creating the network profiles required for a wide range of Android devices. 

Could MergeCo solve this?

Hi all ... Quick question does iD support WiFi Calling & Volte on the Pixel 7a ... 🧐

Why iD Mobile?