Sticky F.A.Q.

Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling

Show first post

108 replies

Wi-Fi calling is now provisioned and working on my Sony Xperia XZ1 with Lebara. I’ve noticed I get better 4G reception at home, which is useful even without Wi-Fi calling, as iD was frequently dropping out mid-call. An added benefit is the human customer service phone line that is answered without a long wait. Anyone looking for a UK MVNO that supports Wi-Fi calling on many Sony Xperia phone models might find this useful.

Userlevel 1

Hi does this mean I am using Volite or as you call it 4g calling please

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi @Ryan ,

That explains it perfectly - thank you. In that case, can I please ask:

I’ve recently signed up to idmobile hoping that I would be able to use VoLTE on my LG G5. When I force my phone to use “LTE only” (by using the menu available under *#*#4636#*#*), the phone successfully connects using 4G. The “VoLTE Provisioned” switch is showing on “On”, the “Voice Network Type” shows “LTE” and the “Data Network Type” shows “LTE”, but the “IMS Service Status” menu option shows:

IMS Status

IMS Registration: Not registered

Voice over LTE: Unavailable

Do you know whether this is likely to be a problem on my end (device) or on your end (carrier), and whether there is anything that I can do to fix it? TIA, Jaime

Hey @jaimet,

If I understood correctly, you’re forcing the device to connect to 4G/LTE calling and that works fine for making calls over 4G but it simply says it’s not available?

Or is it saying it’s connected but in fact it’s not connected and you can’t make 4G calls?

Mohammed

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @PickleRick 

Glad to hear this thread helped you come to a decision here.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I have a note 8 on the list, wifi calling is turned on and software updated but still not working.  Any ideas????

Userlevel 1

Hi,

I've recently (re)joined iD Mobile again. Very happy with coverage on 3, and the ability to use WiFi calling - tried today by turning airplane mode on. Works perfectly 👍👌

However, I'd like to know about 4G calling. I obviously found the settings for WiFi calling but can't see any 4G (or voLTE) settings on my Google Pixel 6 (fully up to date). Am I missing something, or should there be an option in settings somewhere?

I'm currently on SIM only deal.

Thanks 

Userlevel 1

In addition to my query above - I'm wondering whether 4G calling (VoLTE) is automatically provisioned, with no settings to view or edit after all?

I dialed   *#*#4636#*#*  to view the phone information, and "VoLTE provisioned" is greyed out and automatically turned ON. Same with WiFi calling = ON.

Userlevel 2

I have a note 8 on the list, wifi calling is turned on and software updated but still not working.  Any ideas????

Try enabling air plane mode, then turn on WiFi. It sometimes doesn't work if you are in an area of good coverage.

Userlevel 1

Sadly doesn't seem to have worked. Do ID need to activate the SIM for wifi calling?

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Article updated with Google Pixel 6 and 6 Pro. 

Emil

Userlevel 2

Sadly doesn't seem to have worked. Do ID need to activate the SIM for wifi calling?

Are you trying this on your home wifi network? I would suggest you try a public hotspot. Some routers need the correct ports opening up to allow wifi calling traffic. E.g. I found I couldn’t use wifi calling at work because out internet provide had blocked the required ports! I am sure if you try a different place (or two) you will find it works. There is no specific setting on the SIM card, if you can make calls you should be able to route via wifi.

You can read more at this thread: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/ports-and-protocols-needed-for-wifi-calling-31811

Userlevel 1

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me

It is on my home network but my other note 8 works perfectly on it !! I'm not sure what else to try.

Userlevel 2

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me

It is on my home network but my other note 8 works perfectly on it !! I'm not sure what else to try.

What network is that one on? Have you contacted ID?

Userlevel 2

It is on ID as well.  I keep trying to talk to ID  but I cant seem to get a person to talk with. Their online system says it's an agent but they keep just giving generic answers like a robot. I don't know what to do.

Maybe daft question, have you tried swapping the sim cards round?

There is no such phone as the Sony Xperia X10. There is the Sony Xperia 10 and the Sony Ericsson X10. I assume you mean https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/sony-xperia-10-64gb-black can you update please, its confusing.

Also will you support at least one “Android One” handset? https://www.android.com/one/

As outside of an iPhone or Google Pixel 4 most other phones have woeful update schedules and I don’t like to risk my security on a quickly out of date phone. I would happily purchase direct from yourselves if offered. Unfortunately the Nokia 2.2 and Moto One Macro are not Android One like many of their siblings.

I realise that these are niche compared to Samsung or Apple, but at least one option would be very much appreciated.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

This article has been updated with new devices 31/08/21

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @boothy99 

The Pixel 6 should work just fine with Wi-Fi and 4G calling while on iD Mobile, I don’t see an option in my device for it (Pixel 7 Pro, similar/same software), I’m unsure Google show the option there.

Have you tried using it to see if it does work despite there being no option in the settings?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi Tom 👋

Thanks for your reply 👍

When I tried WiFi calling (forced on with airplane mode turned on), the information on the call screen displayed "WiFi call". However, I'm not sure whether the same should happen if I'm on a 4G VoLTE call or whether it'll just display "iD Mobile" - which I've seen so far. Thanks for letting me know there's no option on your Google Pixel 6 Pro too. Perhaps it's just automatically set & works without interferrence? Let me know if your screen suggests 4G / VoLTE or just "iD Mobile".

Cheers,

Dave.

Hi, ive just bought an Alcatel 3L (2019) specifically because its on the wifi calling supported list... but it doesnt seem to work…. is there something i need to do to ‘activate’ it?  Latest sw update applied etc..

Thanks

Userlevel 2

Hi, ive just bought an Alcatel 3L (2019) specifically because its on the wifi calling supported list... but it doesnt seem to work…. is there something i need to do to ‘activate’ it?  Latest sw update applied etc..

Thanks

Under network>mobile network, there might be an option to turn on WiFi calling. You can sometimes check if it's working by enabling airplane mode, then turning on WiFi again. If not, you might be our of luck. Please let me know how your get on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Wi-Fi calling was working brilliantly on my Samsung Galaxy S8 for a few weeks (I notice it's not on the official list), but now seems to have stopped.

Please reconsider adding it back again - like I said, it worked very well.

Thanks.

Welcome to the new iD Community Paul!

Whilst the Samsung Galaxy S8 isn't currently on our list, we're working on expanding our list of supported handsets.

We hope that this is available in the near future.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
When will wifi calling be available on Samsung Galaxy handsets? The area I'm in has no signal from ID. I saw that you supported Wifi calling which is one of the reasons that I chose to move to you but hadn't seen that you only supported Apple products. I have an S7.

Hi Slaine,

We're working on with the manufacturers on expanding our list of supported handsets. We don't have any set dates but will update this topic when a new handset is added.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hey @luutjamie, @Isaac & @Teeks91,

Welcome to the iD Community.

We're working with the manufacturers directly to add new handsets to our list.

We'll keep this topic updated when a new handset is added.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
Hello @Bosshogg,

We already have a WiFi Calling topic on our forum already.

Please use the search function next time before creating a topic.

I've merged your topic to the existing one.

At this moment in time, we're working with manufacturers to add new handsets to our supported lists and we'll keep this topic updated when newer handsets are available.

Mohammed
Userlevel 7
Badge +10
I have switched from ee to id purely for the great deal i was offered. However i have just found out that my phone lg g5 is not compatible with wifi calling.

Will this be added as we live in a black spot for your signal.

Regards

Mark

Hello @Tommo1967,

There's already a Wi-Fi calling topic so I've merged your topic with this.

We don't have any dates we can confirm for when/if this handset would be added to the supported lists.

Sorry about that.

Mohammed

Why iD Mobile?