A tech-tacular Christmas tale...

• 11 December 2023
  • 0 replies
A tech-tacular Christmas tale...
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Our story begins with a quaint little scene, Nick and Anita, and a glowing TV screen. With a sudden look of shock, Anita shouts “Nick! We’ve forgotten the brussels sprouts!”

Nick's heart sank. "I'll sort it," he said, pulling out his phone and scratching his head. So many apps, but which one to choose? “Tescos” he thought, “and I’ll add some booze…”

With a swipe and a tap, the order was placed. "Click-and-collect tomorrow morning," he announced with a smile on his face.

The next day, Christmas Eve, Anita looked perplexed. "Nick! The kids' gifts from Aunt Joy haven't come yet!"
"No worries," Nick replied, opening the ParcelTrack app. He found that lost package with a few little taps. "Ah, looks like it ended up at number 26!" A quick trip to the neighbours, and Nick returned with the gifts.

Feeling festive, Nick put on some songs. “Something cheerful” he thought, “let’s all sing along”. Spotify on his phone, smart speakers connected, Nick loaded some tunes but was soon disrespected!

“Come on dad!” The little ones cried, “It’s 2023, not 1989!” “Fine!” Nick relented, “What would you like, Claire?” “Anything’s good, just not Walking in the Air!”

While Anita wrapped the last of the pressies, Nick gathered the kids in front of the telly. "Movie time!" he declared, casting Netflix from his phone. The kids quickly lost interest and left poor Nick all alone.

The big day arrived, and it was time for a feast! Nick gawked at the turkey, “how do I cook this beast!?” Hearing the grumbles, Anita peeked in, "Everything okay, dear?" “Yes! I’m just… focussing!”

Grabbing the phone once more, Nick opened BBC Good Food. After a few minutes scrolling, he calmed his foul mood. A recipe so simple, he couldn’t go wrong! He took up his tools and put on a song.

The table was set, the turkey was roasting, but Anita didn’t quite feel like toasting. "I wish Mum could've made it," she said with a sigh. Nick nodded solemnly. “I know, love, so do I”.

With a smile the likes Anita had never seen, Nick said with a flourish, “Let’s get her on screen!” He opened WhatsApp and dialled dear old nan. Grandma was thrilled, “What a clever young man!”

As evening fell, Nick had one more treat for the family. He snuck outside, but things had gone badly. The lights were all out! What could he do? "Plan B," he muttered, opening Phillips Hue.

With a few taps in the app, the house lit up like a dream. It wasn’t quite as planned, but it made a lovely Christmas scene.
"Wow, Dad!" the children exclaimed, their eyes sparkling with joy. Their faces filled with wonder and Nick thought to himself, “Better than any new toy.”

As the house quieted down, Anita gave Nick a nudge. "Did you take any photos today, my love?" With a mischievous “ho ho ho”, Nick took out his phone. He opened it up to Google Photos.

Captured within, a most magical day. Four faces of joy and happiness there on display. With a cheeky smooch on the sofa, the happy couple settle down. “I think next year, we’ll just do turkey crown”.

The day had been saved, multiple times it seemed! A simple smartphone, the only elf Nick needs. From rescuing dinner, to connecting loved ones, the apps on his phone had brought much more than fun.

"Best Christmas ever!" his kids had declared. Nick couldn’t believe it; he’d been so unprepared! Another year gone; they all go so fast! So, from Nick and everyone at iD, Merry Christmas!

0 replies

Be the first to reply!

Why iD Mobile?