Meet the new Galaxy S23 family

• 2 February 2023
  • 3 replies
Meet the new Galaxy S23 family
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Great news, Galaxy fans! Samsung has launched its new S23 series, with three models available: the Galaxy S23, Galaxy S23+ and high-end Galaxy S23 Ultra.

These flagship phones are Samsung’s finest, which makes them - arguably - the best new phones of 2023. To help you decide if you need one in your life, let’s check them out.

Galaxy S23 and Galaxy S23+

These two phones share a lot of the same features, so we’ll talk about them first (and leave the best to last).

Design and display
The new S23 family sticks to Samsung’s classic design, as you’d probably expect – if it’s not broken, why fix it? That means familiar smooth rounded edges with a frosted glass back, and a gorgeous FHD+ Dynamic AMOLED display to look at.

The S23 has a 6.1-inch screen, so it’s perfect for those that prefer compact phones. If you want something bigger, the S23+ has a 6.6-inch screen. Both phones have adaptive outdoor visibility – a fancy way of seeing you’ll be able to game, stream and scrolling when you’re out in bright sunlight.

Cameras
The S23 and S23+ have the same impressive triple lens set-up as last year’s S22 (50MP main lens, 12MP ultra-wide lens, 10MP telephoto lens). The telephoto lens is capable of 3x optical zoom and up to 30x digital zoom, so you’ll be able capture detailed shots even when you’re far away from your subject.

Nightography mode has been improved a lot. With more processing power and advanced AI, all your low-light photos will be packed with detail and colour. The same goes for selfies - the front camera focuses faster and more accurately even in low light, and object-based AI fills your shots with realistic colour. Video selfies are even better too, as the front camera now has the skills to shoot pin-sharp footage in the dark.

Under the hood

Both phones feature Samsung’s latest processor, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2. Samsung says this will improve everything from heavy mobile gaming to video streaming or filming sessions. Plus, it’ll help the long-lasting and fast-charging battery to last through a day of heavy use.

You’ve got a couple of storage options on each phone. The S23 gives you the choice of 128GB or 256GB sizes, while the S23+ offers 256GB and 512GB.

Samsung S23 Ultra

If you’re looking for the very best Android phone in 2023, then say hello S23 Ultra. The other S23 phones are fantastic, but the S23 Ultra’s specs are even more impressive, with a dazzling display, pro camera, huge battery and tons of storage.

Design and display

In terms of design, the S23 Ultra looks almost the same as its predecessor. Its curves are slightly less rounded than the S23 and S23+, while it has the same frosted glass back. As you’d expect from a Samsung flagship, it’s an eye-catching phone that feels as good as it looks.

The stunning 6.8" Quad HD AMOLED display is a real treat for the eyes. It makes everything you like watching and doing on your phone feel absolutely epic, from multiplayer mobile games to blockbuster movies.

Cameras

Remember the 102MP main lens on the older S22 Ultra? That’s had a massive upgrade. The S23 Ultra now boasts a quad rear camera with a 200MP main lens - the largest that Samsung has ever put in one of its phones. Alongside that you’ll find a 12MP ultrawide lens and two 10MP telephoto lenses.

More megapixels doesn’t always mean better photos, but Samsung has made loads more of improvements to make this camera a world-beater. Portrait mode can now capture more true-to-life skin colours and textures. Night shooting now looks better and ever, with the advanced camera sensor and processor working together to reduce noise and tone down annoying flare. You’ll literally light up the night!

An Ultra S-Pen

The S23 Ultra comes with a built-in S-Pen (just like S22 Ultra), giving you the power to work, create and multi-task more effectively. It’s Samsung’s most advanced and fastest S Pen yet - responsive, realistic and precise. Nice.

Under the hood

Just like the S23 and S23+, the S23 Ultra is powered by the Samsung’s latest and greatest Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 processor. So you can expect a super-smooth and speedy experience no matter what you’re doing – even if you’re running lots of beefy apps at once. Plus, the intelligent 5,000mAh battery is a real beast, so you should be able to game and stream well into the night.

When it comes to storage space, you’ve got three storage options to choose from – 256GB, 512GB or 1TB (that’s a whopping 1000GB).

3 replies

Userlevel 2

The S23 Ultra 1Tb looks a proper beast! So much so, I have been convinced to move away from Oneplus after many years!

Samsung.com were offering great online deals for sim only phones, and also great trade in prices. 

I'm expecting mine next week! 

Userlevel 1

I’m on a Samsung A42 5g on ID. Genuinely the worst “smart” phone I’ve ever owned, buyers remorse kicked in within 2 months. My next phone, and many afterwards will not be a Samsung device again. It’s such a frustrating piece of junk, so many irritating quirks.

I like how waving at the camera takes a photo!

Why iD Mobile?