Skip to main content
Solved

Still no Network

Would one of you guys out there who can contact iD Mobile please ask them to contact me by email, at {removed} I posted my problem earlier with my situation, I have been without any Network for a fortnight so far, I was switched off whilst I was in hospital where I go for treatment every other day. I am 85years old & severely disabled I now have no means of contacting anyone if I fall or become ill. When I try to get in touch it comes up with ‘we have sent a code to your phone’ enter it for security reasons, these are the intelligent ones, I have NO Network. So if someone would be kind enough to let them know, my phone works fine on 4G at Skegness where the hospital is I’m 28 miles away in Woodhall Spa no network. Basil Kelly on {removed} Sony Xperia L1 - Getting really worried the hospital are talking about a Home I don’t need it I’m fully ‘compos mentis’. Thank You.   

Okay @Basil Kelly, might be best to contact the iD Mobile Vulnerable Customer Team regarding your situation.

Contact the team on 0800 049 2376 - I hope they’re able to help.

There’s more online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/legal/accessibility.

Thanks for your suggestion, I wish I could call them if you look at my plea you’ll see that I have no network I’m completely cut off (just in the shaded area on the iD map) Thank You anyway, cheers.

Never post your mobile no. or e mail address on a public forum; stand by for scammers exploiting you.

Woodhall Spa no network. Sony Xperia L1   

Basil, the 3g radio network has had its day and has been retired in parts of the Midlands. Where you are, you are right on the edge of the switch off area!
Here’s the map. You will know more precisely where you are on the map.

<conjecture on my part>
If you have had 3g switched off in your vicinity, then the Sony L1 is not supported by iD mobile for 4g calling. Here is the compatibility list. The Sony Xperia L3 seems to be the first Sony L-series phone on the list for both Wi-Fi routed calls and calls over the 4g network.
If you have lost the 3g signal at your home, you will need to obtain/buy another phone, I’m afraid. I had to do the same last week at great pain to my wallet (£50 second hand) and time setting it up. Phones not on the list might work, but you’d be taking a risk.  Sony Xperia L1 are selling for about £20 on ebay, and Xperia L3 for about £30. The quickest route to a working phone is apparently to pop into a Currys store (iD mobile’s parent company) as all the phones they sell work with iD mobile. An alternative is to port your number away from iD mobile to EE or some other provider that has a 2g network --- this might be the cheaper option but take more time.
There’s a bit more info, and another compatibility checker on the iD mobile site here.
</conjecture on my part>

I think you have been treated very shabbily. A decent company would have just posted you a replacement phone out of duty of care rather than let you stew with no signal and telling you to ring them on your phone that can’t make calls!

Thank you so much for that information, I’m on my third week without a network. It’s odd I get 4G perfectly well outside the shaded area it’s only when I go home after treatment I loose the signal. I will look for another phone as you suggest  hope there’s not too much hassle sorting it out, I have heard from the company on Friday he’s promised to look into it I’ll just see what happens, must admit it all came as a shock to me I would have thought 4G would have been set up & running before switching off 3G, any way thanks again for your advice I’ll certainly follow one of the suggestions, Regards, Bas Kelly. 

I still keep getting told to call this & that number, I have no network & have not heard from anyone from iD mobile. 

Thank you so much for that information, I’m on my third week without a network. It’s odd I get 4G perfectly well outside the shaded area it’s only when I go home after treatment I loose the signal. I will look for another phone as you suggest  hope there’s not too much hassle sorting it out, I have heard from the company on Friday he’s promised to look into it I’ll just see what happens, must admit it all came as a shock to me I would have thought 4G would have been set up & running before switching off 3G, any way thanks again for your advice I’ll certainly follow one of the suggestions, Regards, Bas Kelly. 

There should be a 4G mobile network, in the shaded area, @Basil Kelly

The 4G was setup and running before 3G switch-off, in the shaded area. 

It’s an odd situation, when I go to the hospital for treatment I exit the shaded area on the way when a tick comes up along side iD Mobile in 4G in available networks and works perfectly well, with what you’re saying it must be my phone (Sony xperia L1) although it’s set on 4G preferred & works ok outside of the shaded area, I will have to have a look on ebay, thanks very much for your help andewhite much appreciated.   

eureka, finally connected thanks to all who replied, I took the advice of ‘AAAGH’ and replaced my phone with a second-hand smart phone. Feel safe again, thanks so much.

eureka, finally connected thanks to all who replied, I took the advice of ‘AAAGH’ and replaced my phone with a second-hand smart phone. Feel safe again, thanks so much.

Pheww. I’m glad my suggestion has worked, but I’m sorry it has hurt your pocket. Other readers might be interested in what phone you now have that works, as many other iD mobile users are in the same boat as you. For myself, I bought a Motorola G 5G plus, because it was on both the Wifi calling and the 4G calling compatibility list. It works, but it is huge and doesn’t really fit in a pocket, and I’d rather have my old phone.

The answer to you puzzlement might be that, although your Sony Xperia L1 phone said ‘4G’ at the top, that was for data, but it was only ever using 3g for voice calls. The 3g network is still up and running in Skegness, which is why your phone works there. My previous phone was the same: it stated ‘4G’ in the status bar at the top, but when I looked closely, on a call, it displayed H+, which is short for HSDPA, a 3g technology. People don’t often look at their phones when on a call, so this little detail goes unnoticed.

Hi @Basil Kelly,

Welcome to the Community!

Glad to hear that this is resolved.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Hi Kash, Certainly was a help, thanks again to all of you.