Skip to main content
Blog

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

Whether you’re stressed from work or just need to take a moment of calm, it can be hard to remember to fit it in when you have a busy schedule. There is even a day to help people do just that - National Relaxation Day, celebrated annually on August 15th. On that day, we’re encouraged to take a break from stress and anxiety and do something they truly find relaxing. Whether it’s going on spa break or just reading a book – it’s all about having time to chill in a way that works for you.

And if you’re looking for another kind of chill, be sure to check out our competition at the bottom of the page. We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan. Not only is it super powerful, it’s whisper quiet too. So, it won’t interrupt your moment of peace.

One of the best ways you can reduce stress in your day is with a little meditation or mindfulness. And there’s no need to run off to a yoga retreat. There are loads of amazing apps that can help you get into the healthy habit of taking some quiet time. Here are 4 of our faves. Deep breath…

Apple Fitness+ and Apple Mindfulness

Apple Fitness+ has guided meditation sessions with experienced teachers – from 5 to 45 minutes per session. But it’s not all just sitting and breathing. Their Mindfulness Cooldown combines stretching with relaxation, and they have lots of yoga classes too. As for the meditation, it’s cut into different categories to help you with specific issues - whether it’s stress reduction, improved sleep or enhanced focus. Meanwhile, Apple Mindfulness is specifically for Apple Watch owners. On the small, square screen you can either follow a full meditation session or you can get a reminder to take a few rejuvenating breaths.

Fitness+ on iOS

Mindfulness on Apple Watch

Headspace

Headspace is one of the most well-known meditation apps, famous for its user-friendly interface and massive library of guided meditations. With its search function, you can find a meditation for almost any situation. Woke up in the night and can’t get back to sleep? There’s a meditation for that. And sleep stories too. Going on a walk and what to be more mindful? There’s a mindful activity you can listen to. They have podcasts, daily schedules that are easy to follow and courses galore. Headspace makes meditation accessible for beginners while also providing advanced content for aspiring yogis.

Available on iOS and Android

Calm

Calm is another highly popular app that focuses on meditation, relaxation and getting better sleep. Not only will you find traditional meditation practices, but there’s famous voices reading bedtime stories, soothing soundtracks and breathing exercises designed to help you unwind. The app's Daily Calm feature provides a new meditation each day, making sure you stick to mindfulness practice. And there are also long-term courses you can take tailored to what you want to get out of mindfulness. 

Balance

Balance was created to fit the needs of whoever’s using the app – so no two experiences are alike. Balance asks users a series of questions to understand their goals, then tailors meditation programs to fit. Whether your goal is to reduce anxiety, improve focus or get on in your career, Balance helps you build a mindfulness practice you can stick to - and that will evolve with your progress. You can always adjust the time of your meditation sessions. So, there’s always the chance to find a quick moment of calm, even if you’re rushing out the door!

Right now, Balance is doing a one-year free membership – so it might be worth a go.

So, why not whip out your phone, download a few of these apps and see which one works for you.

Win a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK!

Want to stay calm and cool? We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK. It’s cool, super quiet and has 12 different modes – including outdoors, cordless and tabletop – so you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. It’s also water resistant, so is even pool splash and British summer weatherproof too! 

To enter, just share your best relaxation and mindfulness tips with the Community below.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th August 2024. Winners are chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after. Stay calm, you’ve still got time to win.

Yoga always helps me unwind. Or an amazing massage!

For me it’s taking my dog for a walk around the farm where I live and on the track that takes us down to the river. It’s so relaxing and just being out in nature really helps to relax me and clear my mind. 

I get myself outside either going for a walk, pottering around at the allotment, paddle boarding or sitting in the garden reading. 
Just taking myself away from my stresses even for a short while helps me to reset. 

I just go down to my pigeon loft and sit with the pigeons 

My favourite time to relax and unwind is after work, especially on a Friday! This consists of getting my pjs on, chilling in front of the tv with my dog (Millie) or scrolling through tiktok on my phone with lots of snacks. The last few days, relaxing has consisted of appreciating the sunshine whilst it lasts! ☀️

To relieve stress or tension that life naturally brings, I think one sure fire way is to run a lovely bubbly bath, put on some feel good tunes and unwind in the bubbles. Then in lovely fresh pj's, and fresh bed sheets, put on your favourite movie or series and forget all your worries. 

I like to unwind by reading a book and cooking tea for my family and cat.

Just go fishing and watch nature 

I go swimming to relax, especially back stroke letting the warm water cradle and sooth my head

Build yourself a workshop or a shed

I love snuggling with my pupper, then doing a crossword and binge-watching Below Deck! 

When the hustle and bustle of life become too much to bear, I escape into my own world of relaxation, a realm where tranquility reigns supreme. Picture this: a cozy nook bathed in the golden glow of fairy lights, a soft blanket wrapped around me like a warm hug from an old friend. I sink into my plush armchair, a steaming cup of cocoa in hand, its rich aroma dancing in the air like a serenade to my senses.

As I take that first heavenly sip, it's as if the worries of the day melt away like marshmallows in hot chocolate. My favorite tunes play softly in the background, a symphony of serenity that lulls my mind into a state of blissful calm. I close my eyes and let the melodies wash over me, each note a gentle caress that soothes my soul.

And then, there's the pièce de résistance: a captivating book that whisks me away to far-off lands and fantastical adventures. With each turn of the page, I'm transported to a world where magic is real and dreams come true. Time stands still as I lose myself in the story, the outside world fading into oblivion.

In these precious moments, I find my sanctuary, a place where I can recharge and find peace. It's not just relaxation; it's a celebration of the simple joys that make life sweet.

When I'm looking to clear my head, I like to go on a long walk. The fresh air very much helps to calm my thoughts.

To relax I enjoy reading a book, preferably on the beach somewhere sunny!

At the start of the day, I find taking an early morning walk in nature (i.e. a nearby park or a stroll down a local canal) puts me in a relaxed mood before I begin my feats for the day. While at the end of the day, I find journaling to be an effective way to reflect on the day so as to be mindful of key events that occurred over the course of the day to identify those that I might like to manage properly or differently.

I like to go for a nice walk in the woods 

I love walking my dogs along the shoreline everyday. It gives me a great anchor point and I look forward to it every day, and so do my doggos :) 

A cup of tea in the garden listening to the birdsong

Play cricket with my daughters 😃🏏

I live in London, and also have chronic health issues, but when I can I like to get to one of the many parks we have here and relax.  At home I like to watch real crime documentaries, or play pointless games on my phone, like Lily’s Garden. I’m not much of a reader but do listen to audio books.  At night I use rain calming apps or brown noise you tube videos. My fane is always on too, which is soothing.  I wish I lived in the countryside, wasn’t ill and could still drive!

Taking a break at lunch time, going for a walk, listening to an audio book. Just that little bit of escapism helps reset the brain.

I love sitting near moving water. Listening to the calming and soothing sound 

Hands on your heart breath in love and breath out love do it for long enough it’ll make you feel high as a kite!!

also another good one is breathe in for 4 seconds hold for 6 seconds and exhale for 8 seconds. very good for getting you out of your head after a busy day.

I like to cuddle my cat, play video games and sleep

To go to my hideaway in France small French farm house relax and unwind with a book or sit in the summerhouse and do some creative art with a bottle of red wine fruit and cheese to sit in the sun and have the breeze coming through the garden listening to the birds and to be in total silence

I like to turn my brain off and watch some episodes of a random series at the end of a stressful day trying to entertain and keep a toddler alive!