Skip to main content

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

Whether you’re stressed from work or just need to take a moment of calm, it can be hard to remember to fit it in when you have a busy schedule. There is even a day to help people do just that - National Relaxation Day, celebrated annually on August 15th. On that day, we’re encouraged to take a break from stress and anxiety and do something they truly find relaxing. Whether it’s going on spa break or just reading a book – it’s all about having time to chill in a way that works for you.

And if you’re looking for another kind of chill, be sure to check out our competition at the bottom of the page. We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan. Not only is it super powerful, it’s whisper quiet too. So, it won’t interrupt your moment of peace.

One of the best ways you can reduce stress in your day is with a little meditation or mindfulness. And there’s no need to run off to a yoga retreat. There are loads of amazing apps that can help you get into the healthy habit of taking some quiet time. Here are 4 of our faves. Deep breath…

Apple Fitness+ and Apple Mindfulness

Apple Fitness+ has guided meditation sessions with experienced teachers – from 5 to 45 minutes per session. But it’s not all just sitting and breathing. Their Mindfulness Cooldown combines stretching with relaxation, and they have lots of yoga classes too. As for the meditation, it’s cut into different categories to help you with specific issues - whether it’s stress reduction, improved sleep or enhanced focus. Meanwhile, Apple Mindfulness is specifically for Apple Watch owners. On the small, square screen you can either follow a full meditation session or you can get a reminder to take a few rejuvenating breaths.

Fitness+ on iOS

Mindfulness on Apple Watch

Headspace

Headspace is one of the most well-known meditation apps, famous for its user-friendly interface and massive library of guided meditations. With its search function, you can find a meditation for almost any situation. Woke up in the night and can’t get back to sleep? There’s a meditation for that. And sleep stories too. Going on a walk and what to be more mindful? There’s a mindful activity you can listen to. They have podcasts, daily schedules that are easy to follow and courses galore. Headspace makes meditation accessible for beginners while also providing advanced content for aspiring yogis.

Available on iOS and Android

Calm

Calm is another highly popular app that focuses on meditation, relaxation and getting better sleep. Not only will you find traditional meditation practices, but there’s famous voices reading bedtime stories, soothing soundtracks and breathing exercises designed to help you unwind. The app's Daily Calm feature provides a new meditation each day, making sure you stick to mindfulness practice. And there are also long-term courses you can take tailored to what you want to get out of mindfulness. 

Balance

Balance was created to fit the needs of whoever’s using the app – so no two experiences are alike. Balance asks users a series of questions to understand their goals, then tailors meditation programs to fit. Whether your goal is to reduce anxiety, improve focus or get on in your career, Balance helps you build a mindfulness practice you can stick to - and that will evolve with your progress. You can always adjust the time of your meditation sessions. So, there’s always the chance to find a quick moment of calm, even if you’re rushing out the door!

Right now, Balance is doing a one-year free membership – so it might be worth a go.

So, why not whip out your phone, download a few of these apps and see which one works for you.

Win a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK!

Want to stay calm and cool? We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK. It’s cool, super quiet and has 12 different modes – including outdoors, cordless and tabletop – so you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. It’s also water resistant, so is even pool splash and British summer weatherproof too! 

To enter, just share your best relaxation and mindfulness tips with the Community below.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th August 2024. Winners are chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after. Stay calm, you’ve still got time to win.

This topic has been closed for comments

356 replies

Userlevel 1

For those of us who sit in front of computer screens for most of the working day, try to take a 10-15 minute break every hour, stand up and stretch those legs, whether thats to grab another cup of tea/coffee or taking some time to reflect & meditate. Moving away from the office desk helps decompress the spine, keeps the blood circulating and helps prevent eye strain after looking at screens for long periods. I know it’s sometimes hard to find the time, but taking small breaks at regular intervals can be fundamental to physical health & mental wellbeing.

Userlevel 2

Carve out some time every day to do something you love/enjoy.

I always make sure I have time to read a chapter or two of a book each day

Userlevel 1

I enjoy sitting near moving water. Listening to the calming sound. 

Nothing fancy. Just nature at its best.

I use the “Rain Rain” App to help me sleep at night. Particularly the rain on tent sound. Takes me back to when the kids were little and the wonderful memories camping, All feeling snug and comfy  while the rain pitter patted upon the canvas. 

Userlevel 1

Best relaxation & mindfulness is to have a afternoon nap & also to pray 5x a day to Allah. It bring peace & love to the mind, body & soul. 

Utilise the sleep sound videos on YouTube to bring a calming atmosphere. 

Userlevel 1

As a horse rider my one and only way that I relax is to tack up and go for a nice long walk with my best friend through the woods and across fields :) 

Userlevel 1

I found a standing desk to be a great help, I can carry on working whilst allowing my spine to straighten out. Regular screen breaks are a must too. 

Userlevel 1

Find a wood/forest and just sit and listen to the nature. It’s in every direction!

It’s important to listen to your body but it’s important to ask it difficult questions sometimes too.  I like to balance on one leg while I’m making a pot of tea - once that became routine I added complexity to it - singing a song, making a circle with the raised foot, doing something with the free hand.

Userlevel 2

A siesta. A short nap after lunch of less than 30 minutes. To me it’s the same as meditating for that long and aids digestion, drops blood pressure and sets you up for the afternoon. Especially useful for insomniacs like me if you didn’t get a good nights sleep the night before!

Relax with a meditation playlist and take regular breaks from work

Walking in nature and/or having a nap daytime works the best. 👌

glass of hot water first thing in the morning

Set aside some time in the day to do a quick meditation, it only needs to be 5 or 10 mins.

Once I week I focus on self care and don't use phone or watch TV

Userlevel 1

Make time for you, do what you want and don't feel guilty for it

I find simple deep breathing works great for sudden anxiety/stress. 

Make a list but include some easy wins that you know you can tick off

I use Progressive Muscle Relaxation.

Userlevel 1

Taking a short break away from the workspace can help to recenter.

Userlevel 1

I love going for a nice quiet walk, listening to wildlife around me.

Mindful walking always helps me.  Take a slow walk and pay really close attention to your surroundings and take notice of all your senses.  Whilst you are walking, listen to every sound you can hear (traffic/birds/people talking/wind etc), then everything you can see (as though it is for the first time), every smell (grass/sea/food/flowers) and everything you can feel, for example your feet touching the ground, your clothes against your body as you walk, the sun/wind/rain/cold etc on your face. The aim is to turn off the chatter in your head to give yourself a well deserved rest from stressing out and worrying etc and just to focus your attention onto one thing at a time.

Userlevel 1

It’s got to be tacking up and taking your horse on a ride on your own in the open countryside! Nothing but the soft thud of hooves on the ground

Userlevel 1

Cuddle a dog :) 
If I’m feeling stressed, anxious, worried, angry etc… there is nothing more soothing and comforting than having a cuddle with my dog <3