Skip to main content
Blog

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

4 apps for meditation and mindfulness.

Whether you’re stressed from work or just need to take a moment of calm, it can be hard to remember to fit it in when you have a busy schedule. There is even a day to help people do just that - National Relaxation Day, celebrated annually on August 15th. On that day, we’re encouraged to take a break from stress and anxiety and do something they truly find relaxing. Whether it’s going on spa break or just reading a book – it’s all about having time to chill in a way that works for you.

And if you’re looking for another kind of chill, be sure to check out our competition at the bottom of the page. We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan. Not only is it super powerful, it’s whisper quiet too. So, it won’t interrupt your moment of peace.

One of the best ways you can reduce stress in your day is with a little meditation or mindfulness. And there’s no need to run off to a yoga retreat. There are loads of amazing apps that can help you get into the healthy habit of taking some quiet time. Here are 4 of our faves. Deep breath…

Apple Fitness+ and Apple Mindfulness

Apple Fitness+ has guided meditation sessions with experienced teachers – from 5 to 45 minutes per session. But it’s not all just sitting and breathing. Their Mindfulness Cooldown combines stretching with relaxation, and they have lots of yoga classes too. As for the meditation, it’s cut into different categories to help you with specific issues - whether it’s stress reduction, improved sleep or enhanced focus. Meanwhile, Apple Mindfulness is specifically for Apple Watch owners. On the small, square screen you can either follow a full meditation session or you can get a reminder to take a few rejuvenating breaths.

Fitness+ on iOS

Mindfulness on Apple Watch

Headspace

Headspace is one of the most well-known meditation apps, famous for its user-friendly interface and massive library of guided meditations. With its search function, you can find a meditation for almost any situation. Woke up in the night and can’t get back to sleep? There’s a meditation for that. And sleep stories too. Going on a walk and what to be more mindful? There’s a mindful activity you can listen to. They have podcasts, daily schedules that are easy to follow and courses galore. Headspace makes meditation accessible for beginners while also providing advanced content for aspiring yogis.

Available on iOS and Android

Calm

Calm is another highly popular app that focuses on meditation, relaxation and getting better sleep. Not only will you find traditional meditation practices, but there’s famous voices reading bedtime stories, soothing soundtracks and breathing exercises designed to help you unwind. The app's Daily Calm feature provides a new meditation each day, making sure you stick to mindfulness practice. And there are also long-term courses you can take tailored to what you want to get out of mindfulness. 

Balance

Balance was created to fit the needs of whoever’s using the app – so no two experiences are alike. Balance asks users a series of questions to understand their goals, then tailors meditation programs to fit. Whether your goal is to reduce anxiety, improve focus or get on in your career, Balance helps you build a mindfulness practice you can stick to - and that will evolve with your progress. You can always adjust the time of your meditation sessions. So, there’s always the chance to find a quick moment of calm, even if you’re rushing out the door!

Right now, Balance is doing a one-year free membership – so it might be worth a go.

So, why not whip out your phone, download a few of these apps and see which one works for you.

Win a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK!

Want to stay calm and cool? We’re giving away a Shark FlexBreeze Portable Fan FA220UK. It’s cool, super quiet and has 12 different modes – including outdoors, cordless and tabletop – so you can take it with you pretty much anywhere. It’s also water resistant, so is even pool splash and British summer weatherproof too! 

To enter, just share your best relaxation and mindfulness tips with the Community below.

Entries close at 23:59 on 19th August 2024. Winners are chosen at random, and we'll announce the lucky iD community member shortly after. Stay calm, you’ve still got time to win.

I usually focus on my breathing and try to clear my mind to calm down and then will do something nice like play my favourite game, read a book, colouring etc. to give my mind something to focus on which can help 😊 

Take some time out from whatever you are doing, relax and have a yourself moment. I walk my dogs alone. That’s my relaxing headspace time. 

Set boundaries on screen time, especially before bedtime, and take regular breaks from social media to reduce stress and improve sleep quality.

Spend a few minutes closing your eyes and really listening in the garden, walk around and study the insides of flowers and smell the fragrance. 

Get up from the computer screen at 10 mins every hour, walk around, focus on distant objects to exercise the eyes and drink plenty of liquids.

I have a bath every Sunday evening with magnesium salts to relax the muscles, do a little face mask etc. It’s like my weekly spa time and resets me for the week ahead!

Personally I think being outside, in my garden, just appreciating the green space and the foliage 

Deep breaths, be kind about your wandering mind.

Just getting outside in a green garden makes a world of difference. 

I close my eyes a few times a day to reduce distractions and focus on my thoughts.
What’s going through my head, and of those thoughts which are within my control or influence to change and which are outside my control? This helps to keep me calm and reduce stress, anxiety and overwhelm.

I go for a swim in the local lake. Nothing like swimming in nature to clear the mind. I feel really good afterwards.

watching films

If you are on a walk make sure you take time to stop and just listen to sounds around, look up at the trees if you are in woods and try to connect to what is around you. Marching along you can miss out on the benefit of a mindful pause. X

I go for a 45min run on my bike on my way home from work (I cycle to work) which resets you from work to relax mode.

I work in finance in the city. I make time to do a daily walk in the countryside where I live. The sounds, fresh air and nature relaxes me from the environment of my work place. 

Yoga is a great way to relax, improves sleep quality and also give more energy.  It helps manage stress and is beneficial to many health problems.  The gentle stretching caneven  be done sitting for those with mobility problems.  A definite proven benefit for both mind and body.

I will take my dog into the woods at my nearest National Trust property and just breathe in the air.

A walk in nature listening to something good

Going for a walk in my lunch hour refreshes me for the afternoon 

Practice PMR (Progressive Muscle Relaxation) involves tensing and then slowly releasing each muscle group in your body, starting from your toes and working your way up to your head. This can help relieve physical tension and promote relaxation.

Going out and enjoying friends company 

Try to get outside into nature if you can. Try for a quiet, calm place with air that smells fresh. Find a place to sit and just be at one with your surroundings.

If you feel safe shut your eyes and take some deep breaths. Try to clear your mind if you can.

Animals are very therapeutic and I have two cats who I take time to fuss everyday. This is very calming for me. 

Taking a couple of minutes just to breathe and plan instead of jumping into the next task at work. 

When I am feeling stressed a hug and cuddle from my family always makes me feel better