Blog

How to choose the right power bank

• 15 January 2019
  • 1 reply
How to choose the right power bank
Userlevel 8
Badge
When it comes to portable chargers, size matters! This handy guide will help you choose one that’s powerful enough for your whole day.

Most of us know that sinking feeling - the battery has gone on your phone, no charger in sight, and you’re left looking back at yourself in the black screen of your phone. A power bank will help you keep your phone powered up all day, so you’ll never miss another photo opportunity or important phone call. There’s plenty to choose from, so which one is right for you?

What size power bank do you need?

It’s nice and simple to figure out which size power bank you need. Just find out how big the battery in your phone is (in mAh – milliamp/hour) and make sure the power bank is bigger. That way, you’ve got plenty of power to fully charge your phone at least once.

For example, the Samsung Galaxy S9 Plus has a 3,500 mAh battery, so a 12,000 mAh power bank will be able to fully charge it 3 times – with a bit left over. Enough for even the busiest day!

Anything else to consider?

Some power banks don’t yet support the newer USB-C type charging, so if your phone has got the latest charging technology, make sure you get one that’s compatible. Most of the newer ones are up-to-date, so there are still plenty to choose from.

Got other devices that you use on the go? A power bank can provide power for most of them. A Kindle, a Nintendo Switch and even an iPad can all benefit from some extra charge, so now you can use your devices for the whole commute and still have plenty of juice for the day.

What power banks are available?

If you use quite a lot of power, why not get yourself a Belkin 15k (15,00mAh) power pack from Carphone Warehouse? It’s so mighty it can charge most phones five times over – making dead devices a thing of the past.

Don’t need something quite so big? There’s a great range of power banks to choose from here, so you’re sure to find something to suit.

Got a question on which power bank is right for you? Post it in the comments below.

1 reply

Userlevel 4
I got one of these for Christmas and I hadn't realised just how handy they are before. Typically my iphone will make it through a full day but is below 20% by the time I am heading home which leaves me a bit nervous of running out of juice if I get delayed - and of course when you are delayed that is when you want more battery time. I can now set it to top up while walking to the tube so by the time I get back onto the train home I am back up above 80%. If you have never considered a powerbank, they are not expensive and it might just be that little bit of extra comfort feeling you need at the end of the day. Jase

Why iD Mobile?