How to spring clean your phone

• 24 February 2023
  • 73 replies
How to spring clean your phone
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Now that there’s a tiny hint of sun, it’s time for a good spring clean. And that includes your phone. It’s all well and good giving your screen a quick wipe with some anti-bac – but what about decluttering the stuff that’s on it too?

Having a proper clear out can help with your phone’s performance. From longer battery life to quicker loading times. Plus, when you want to find that great holiday snap, you won’t have to dig through years of memes and screenshots to find it.

Delete photos and videos

This is a pretty obvious one. Having tons of photos and videos in your camera roll can take up a lot of storage space. So, the best place to start is by having a good tidy. Get rid of anything not worth keeping – after all, you don’t need 45 versions of that one selfie. Then move everything else to external or cloud storage. Even if storage isn’t a massive issue, this is still worth doing. If you do ever lose your phone, you’ll have everything backed up.

Remove some apps

We’ve all got apps we don’t use anymore. Or the ones we keep around for those just-in-case situations. But do you really need them? We don’t think so. A lot of apps work in the background, even when you’re not using them. So, having a root around and getting rid is a quick way to free up some space – and save your phone from working harder than it needs to.

Tip: once you’ve binned your unused apps, check that the remaining ones are all up to date. You don’t want to miss out on up-to-date security or handy new features.

Clear out your contacts

You’re scrolling down your contact list. Who’s Mark? Your guess is as good as ours. If you’ve got one too many unfamiliar names in there, it’s definitely time to delete some numbers. But, if you want to double check before you remove them entirely, fire up WhatsApp. Their profile picture should remind you. And while you’re on WhatsApp, why not clear out your old chats? That group organising your friend’s hen do from a couple of years ago hasn’t been touched since. It’s time for it to go.

Turn off location tracking

You don’t need Twitter to know where you are every second of the day. And when it comes to improving battery life, turning off location tracking can make a big difference. Especially if your phone is just sitting in your bag. Apps constantly checking to see where you are drains your battery. And let’s be honest, it’s a little bit creepy too. Turning location tracking off – or at least controlling which apps can see where you are – is really easy. Just search for ‘location tracking’ in your settings and you can tweak everything from there.

Clear your cache

Websites and apps store info on you to help you log in, fill out forms, or remember what’s in your basket. But over time, this saved data can slow things down. You can clear your cache through your internet browser (whether that’s Chrome, Safari etc) and it only takes a few minutes to do.

Reset

If all else fails and your phone is still painfully slow, it might be time for a good old factory reset. It’ll wipe everything from your phone as if it was brand new - giving you a complete fresh start. Before you take the plunge though, make sure you back everything up properly. Use iCloud for iPhones and Google Drive or OneDrive for Android. Otherwise, all your stuff will be gone for good.

Physically clean your phone

You’ve cleaned up the digital side of things. Now for the physical bit. Phones can get pretty grimy. After all, most of us use them every single day. And that can cause a right mess over time – from gunk in the charging port, to a sticky screen.

Before you start cleaning, unplug any cables, and switch off your phone. Then you can get to work. Google and Apple recommend using a 70% alcohol wipe for the job. But only use it on your screen and the casing at the back. Because you don’t want to risk damaging it by getting moisture in the headphone port or speakers.

Don’t forget your phone case either. Just take it off the phone before you clean it. With plastic, silicone, and rubber cases, you can soak them in some warm water and dish soap for a couple of minutes. If there are any stains left over, use an old toothbrush to get rid of them. And make sure to dry the case off with a cloth before you put it back on your phone.

Giveaway Time!

Want to give your house a good spring clean too? We can help you there as well because we are giving you the chance to win a brand new EUFY RoboVac 15C!

To enter, all you need to do is tell us what your top spring cleaning tip or hack is. Whether it's weird, wonderful, or just plain common sense we want to know!

Simply write your response below and click reply. 

Entries close at 23:59 on 17th March 2023, and we'll announce the lucky iD community winner shortly after.

T&C’s apply

73 replies

Amazing! I love spring cleaning and the phone is with us all the time. Cluttered phone, cluttered mind

My top tip is to make sure the kids are out because nothing ruins a good clean like kids instantly undoing all the hard work!

Userlevel 1

I always start by decluttering my wardrobe, never thought before about doing my phone.

Userlevel 1

The fastest way to spring clean is to get your partner to do it. Works every time 😃

My top spring cleaning tip is think about what you'd miss if you were moving house and get rid of the rest!

My top tip is to take it 1 room at a time when decluttering so you don't become overwhelmed!

Top tip is to get the dog groomed so there is less dog hair everywhere. 

I blast it one evening a week and one day on the weekend.

Userlevel 1

Top tip … only do it on February the 29th.

A little each day keeps the chaos away!

Helpful 

The best cleaning hacks /tips

Always vacuum the floor before wiping or mopping.

Use white vinegar instead of fabric softener.

You can clean your washing machine inside with a fish washer tablet. When empty put the dishwasher tablet in and run a hot cycle.

Best tip of all don't clean the house when the children are playing in it, its like asking a child to brush their teeth whilst eating Oreo's 😁

Userlevel 1

Top tip: Before hoovering the sofa, carpets or car upholstery, sprinkle baking soda over it 10 mins before. It clings on to the stink my mucky dogs leave behind and is more cost/effective than buying the shake’n’vac tubes :) 

Userlevel 1

Magic sponge on shower screens to ensure no line scale or grime shows

So vinegar and paper for cleaning glass. Best method and cheapest! 

Userlevel 1

Uploading old photos to your chosen cloud (I like google drive which is free) or a free photo storage service (e.g. Amazon photos, free with Amazon Prime membership) and deleting them from my phone memory is a great to free up lots of storage quickly.

I would love this robot vac as I’m disabled so it would be one less job for my hubby to do.

My top tip is this: if an app is not used in a whole month, then it must be uninstalled immediately. Realised I don’t really need apps at all. 

After descaling the kettle, if you have a stainless steel sink and drainer, use the descaling solution to clean it. You may need to rub it a bit but it will will remove limescale and sparkle! 😊

Userlevel 1

I have 3 piles when spring cleaning, for all the stuff I don't need. One is for the dump, another charity shop, other is sell. I usually put the money made towards a family trip somewhere. Also motivates the little ones to get rid of stuff they never use. 🙂

Userlevel 1

Use magic eraser sponge to clean all your kitchen cupboard doors.

and Astonish paste to clean your worktops!

I design kitchens and find these products amazing!!

I love cleaning my phone screen and putting on a new screen protector, it’s like getting a new phone

Userlevel 2

Start by decluttering and organizing your space. This will make the actual cleaning process much easier and efficient.

For a wood Fire scrunched up newspaper cleans glass really well and doesn’t smear.

To spring clean my phone, I install a new launcher. Still miss Buzz Launcher, as they’re all pretty similar now, when 5 years ago we had 3d and all sorts.

Have cleared the shed and greenhouse, next is the loft and then my phone, although I generally keep on top of it. 

Userlevel 1

My spring cleaning routine will be, uncover my motorcycle, dust it off, wax it, fit battery, check it over, then ride it!! :)

Why iD Mobile?