The epic evolution of gaming!

• 1 September 2023
  • 295 replies
The epic evolution of gaming!
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

From Pong to PUBG: the epic evolution of gaming

Get ready to power up, because September 12th is National Video Games Day—the ultimate celebration for all things gaming. Once upon a time, gaming was just for a small clique of computer programmers. Now the gaming industry makes more money than the music and movie industries combined. Wow!

So, grab your snacks and buckle up as we dive into the incredible journey of how video games and gaming tech have evolved over the years. And (since we’re all about phones) let's not forget the mind-blowing rise of mobile gaming from the days of Snake to the next-level phenomenon we see today.

Level 1: Pixel pioneers

Way back in the day, when dinosaurs roamed the Earth (or so it feels), video games were all about pixels and beeps. We're talking about classics like Pong and Space Invaders. For the time, these games were like magic in a box - where two rectangles bouncing a ball back and forth could keep us entertained for hours.

Level 2: Console craze

Fast forward a bit, and boom, we hit the era of the home console. Remember the original Nintendo Entertainment System (NES)? Mario and Luigi became household names, and we were all battling over who got to be player one.

Consoles brought the gaming arcade experience to our front rooms. And then the console wars kicked off in playgrounds across the country – which was better: Nintendo or Sega? These days it’s PlayStation vs Xbox, but the rivalry is just as passionate. Every generation brought better graphics, bigger games and more immersive storytelling.

Level 3: Games go 3D

2D platforming brought us plenty of classics, but the leap to 3D was a real gamechanger. Super Mario 64 made our jaws drop with its 3D world, and suddenly we were exploring entire worlds instead of just jumping over pits. Grand Theft Auto went from top-down 2D action to navigating city streets. And who could forget the thrills of adventures like PlayStation's Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII?

Level 4: Mobile marvels

Gamers of a certain generation will remember Nokia’s classic game Snake. Controlling a snake sliding around eating pixels may not sound like much, but it was a worldwide phenomenon. And then there were giants like Tetris that made the jump from home PC to handheld.

Level 5: Smartphones enter the game

With the launch of the iPhone in 2007, more and more people had powerful computers in their pockets. And that meant the ability to run bigger and better games.

Suddenly, our phones weren't just for calls and texts—they were our gaming consoles too. Angry Birds stormed in and became the face of mobile gaming's new era. Tapping and swiping our screens to slingshot birds? Yep, we were officially living in the future.

Mobile games have made gaming easier to start than ever – with millions of free-to-download games available at the touch of a screen. Whether iOS or Android, 3 billion gamers use mobile devices, making it the world’s most popular way to play.

Level 6: Online play

Although playing online has been around for a while, faster internet speeds and more online devices have turned it into an online juggernaut. Now battle royale games like Fortnite and PUBG have millions of players and can be played on everything from console to mobile. So, more people than ever are parachuting onto islands, scavenging for gear and duking it out to be the last one standing.

Level 7: Virtual Reality

Today, we're living in the future we used to dream about. VR has been around for a while, but it’s never felt more real. Games like No Man’s Sky VR and Among Us have us exploring fantastical worlds and unravelling mysteries with friends from all over the globe. Augmented Reality (AR) has made our towns and cities a playgrounf to catch Pokemon!

AR and VR are blurring the lines between the digital and physical worlds – and headsets from the likes of Meta and PlayStation are bringing VR adventures home.

It’s amazing how far gaming has come. And with such a huge evolution in such a small time, from the humble beginnings of Pong to the immersive worlds of AR and VR. It’s mind-blowing to imagine what could be next! And with the rise of more powerful smart phones, it seems certain that we’ll be able to play whatever we want anywhere we want.

So, whether you fire up Candy Crush or launch into Starfield, let’s celebrate National Video Games Day with hours of fun and adventure. Keep gaming!

Giveaway Time! 

This month we’re giving you the chance to win an £100 Currys gift card! 

To enter, all you need to do is tell us what’s your favourite video, mobile or board game! 

Simply type your response below and click send. 

We’ll select one random winner and we’ll message them via direct message here on the Community. 

The giveaway will be closed for entries at 23.59 (BST) on 20th September 2023.

Good luck! 

295 replies

Userlevel 1

I got to say I’m a softie for old school board game classics 

Monopoly. It doesn’t get any better than that!

Userlevel 1

Gotta say, I'm a pokemon fan myself 

Userlevel 1

The original Forza Horizon. So many hours of memories just driving around with friends, building and customising cars and virtual road trips before we had real licenses

Userlevel 2
Badge

Warhammer 40k was my childhood choice of game. Now I prefer to play warzone 🤷‍♂️

Userlevel 1

My favorite is Brothers Mario. Spend many hours playing that game

I absolutely love cluedo the board game. Have played that since I was a kid it's a classic!

Old school for me.. always loved Space Invaders!! 

Loved Doom on the commodore 64. Thought graphics were great then. What a difference now!

Userlevel 2

Nothing beats a board game. Something like Camel Up or Azul. 

I would say my favourite board game is Monopoly or Cluedo, both great games!  

Stratego board game, many evenings playing that with my mates. Great game. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite board game is Dice Hospital.

Cluedo

It has GOT to be ‘Snake’, the first mobile game! Killing time on the bus to school, trying to set records and compare with friends.  Until a rumour came about that getting a million score would cause £5 free network credit, then we all went crazy trying to get a million LOL! Safe to say, no one did get any free credit :P

I've always had a love for Gear of War, every game is a gem and great graphics.

Userlevel 1

Favourite game of any kind........one that I win!!

Userlevel 1

I’d say my favourite board game is ludo 

Userlevel 1

I have so many games that i like but my favourite is Roblox

Userlevel 2

The Yakuza franchise. I love how quirky these games are! 

Or Android its got to be Hungry Harts Diner, little Japanese diner game where you get to know the stories of the customers.

It's gorgouse and very heartwarming 

Chess

Userlevel 1

I only know board games so let's say monopoly and chess 

Userlevel 1

Super Mario All Stars on the SNES

Userlevel 1

My favorite game is 'The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.' I love it because of its vast open world that lets me explore and discover something new around every corner. One memorable moment was when I climbed to the highest peak and paraglided across the breathtaking landscape. This game has not only entertained me but also inspired me to explore the outdoors more 

Userlevel 2

Ooh this is hard , I love all board games and esp card games . However , playing crash bandicoot and Pong on  PS1 started a 30 year journey of gaming - I’m still enjoying it at 55 years old . Now play a switch and Zelda , you are never too old ! 

Userlevel 1

Got to be Red Dead Redemption 2, such an amazing game!

Why iD Mobile?