Virtual reality vs. augmented reality vs. mixed reality

Virtual reality vs. augmented reality vs. mixed reality
Userlevel 8
Badge +3

Virtual reality. Augmented reality. Mixed reality. That’s a whole lot of reality to get your head around. And with Apple’s recent announcement of the Vision Pro, this tech is only going to get bigger and better. But what’s the difference between the three? And what kind of cool tech is out there at the moment to try out? We’ve got the full lowdown…

Virtual reality

Some people will argue that this is the most immersive of the three. VR fully replaces your view – with a headset that goes over your eyes - putting you slap bang in the middle of a computer-generated space. And you can explore and interact with this 3D environment like you’re really there. Video games, live concerts, education, and sport are just some of the sectors taking full advantage of the tech.

If you’re gaming, you literally become the character. You’ll see and hear exactly what they do, making the experience way more engaging and hands-on. Sony’s PlayStation VR2 is a good place to start, with loads of different games to get stuck into. Whether it’s a high-octane racer that puts you in the driving seat, or a bone chilling horror. Those jump scares will definitely hit different in VR, that’s for sure!

Sports fans get in on the action too. With the Meta Quest 2 you can watch the big match like you’re really there. VR Premier League matches give you a front row seat in Sky’s virtual stadium. Get real time analysis, switch camera angles to catch every shot and tackle, or just enjoy the game with your mates.  

Augmented reality

AR is like something out of a sci-fi movie. Using your phone – or some stylish smart glasses – augmented reality overlays what you can see in real life with computer-generated info. It’s the real world, just with extra digital layers.

Pokémon GO – which took the world by storm when it launched (and is still going strong) – is probably the most popular example out there. Different kinds of Pokémon are sat on a map of the area you’re in. Then, when you get to that spot, you use the camera on your phone to see them on your screen in the real world. And all you’ve got to do next is catch them! Easier said than done…

Other companies and brands use it for more practical reasons too. Airlines like easyJet have a handy augmented reality tool in their app. Combined with your smartphone camera, you can check whether your hand luggage is small enough to fit under the seat on the plane. Which can definitely save you an awkward moment at the airport later on.

Shoe giants Adidas use AR in their app as well. For their classic footwear, you can get an even better look at every detail before you buy. Just point your camera at a flat surface, and you can spin, zoom, and flip the shoe to your hearts content. Exactly like if it was really in front of you in the shop. And it goes even further. Buying trainers can be a drag. But with certain running shoes, you can virtually try them on. Aim your phone at your feet and the augmented models will appear. So, you don’t even have to leave the house!

Mixed reality

MR is a blend of digital and real-world elements. It takes ideas from augmented reality and virtual reality, mashing them together into one cutting-edge whole. Worn around your eyes, these head-mounted displays are equipped with cameras. And these cameras are constantly mapping the space you’re in, shooting digital assets into physical spots in front of you. Which, as you can imagine, is especially cool for gaming. Characters in the game you’re playing can stroll about the room you’re in, making your gaming sessions really come to life.

They’re also used more and more now in the world of work too. Designers, artists, architects, and other creatives sometimes use mixed reality to show off their projects. Thinking about adding an extension to your house? An architect might show you around their vision of the final build with the help of an MR headset. Pretty cool.

The recently announced Apple Vision Pro is the biggest step forward for mixed reality so far. You’ll navigate entertainment, apps and docs using just your voice, hands, and eyes. Project your favourite shows onto the wall in front of you. Sit at the kitchen table while you work – no laptop required. Or video call with the family, with everyone from dad to your nan appearing as life-size tiles in your room. You’ll have to wait a little while to get your hands on it though. It doesn’t launch until 2024.

Giveaway time!

This month, we’re giving one lucky winner the chance to win a SONOS Roam Portable Speaker. All you need to do is tell us where you’d go if you could travel anywhere with the help of virtual reality. Your favourite holiday spot? Visit a loved one? The depths of space?

For your chance to win, simply enter your response below and click reply! Please note, you’ll need to be registered on the iD Community to enter. 

We’ll select one random winner and we’ll message them via direct message here on the Community. 

Good Luck! 

221 replies

Userlevel 1

I'd go to the beginning of time to try and understand if the universe is the start of just one continuous loop!

If there was anywhere in the world I would love to go then it would have to be the carribean 

I would stand on the edge of horizon (of black hole)

I'd go back to see what dinosaurs actually looked/sounded like

Userlevel 1

I'd go to Scunthorpe 

I would like to travel through space and visit different planets and galaxies to try and understand how big the universe is.

I would take it to my friend’s house- we’d have a blast! Like a Star Trek Holodeck! 😁

Would love to go to Lake garda

I'd go back to Mauritius, the most beautiful place I have ever been

I'd use a VR headset on my wife who lives in a care home to take her to Venice, so we could ride the Grand Canal in a Gondola, and see the art in the Doges' Palace! X

Userlevel 1

I’d like to go to New Zealand, hire a motorbike and then ride around both the South and North Islands.

Sunny beach 🏖️

Simply- Mars

It would be the Great Barrier Reef for me so that I could explore the depths of the biggest reef in the world without actually getting wet and having to travel to Australia.

I would go back to the day my daughter was born 

I would love to fly around all of the beautiful Greek Islands then scoot over the Venice!

Summer 🌞 Switzerland 

I would use this every time I take the explorer scouts away camping.

It would be Austria for me since I haven't been and my best friend lives there, the pictures that she takes in the mountains seem so surreal and I would love to learn to ski there! 

I would travel to the Ladybower Reservoir in the Peak District, in order to check the level. 

I'd go to Shirley heights in Antigua to watch the sunset. I went there in 2015, but it was overcast at sunset!

Userlevel 1

I'd spend time with my mum, she's no longer here and it would be amazing to spend a day with her again.

I would travel to Saturn's super large moon, titan and search for signs of life

Cuba

Userlevel 2

70’s

Why iD Mobile?