Blog

6 gift ideas for every type of dad

• 7 June 2019
  • 2 replies
Userlevel 8
Badge

The iD Community loves celebrating real-life heroes. For most of us, the best heroes on the planet are our parents. They’re the ones who come to our rescue and save the day, time after time.

As Father’s Day is coming up very soon (Sunday 16th June), we’ve come up with some exciting ideas every super-dad will love! Buy one for dad to get in his good books, or if you’re a parent yourself – drop some hints with the kids.

1. For the music loving dad

Every dad deserves quality time without distractions now and again, and that’s exactly what wireless noise-cancelling headphones are designed for.

Our gift suggestion: Sony WH-CH700N Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Cancelling Headphones

Sony WH-CH700N Wireless Bluetooth Noise-Cancelling Headphones have clever noise-cancelling technology that shuts unwanted noise out, so you can lose yourself in your favourite sounds. The sound quality is crystal clear, and there’s a smart function on board that lets you temporarily disable the noise-cancellation, so you can hear the world around you without taking them off.

The foldable design lets you pack them away neatly in the compact case when you’re not enjoying your favourite music. And the battery will provide up 20 hours of listening on a single charge.

And don’t forget – because these Bluetooth headphones are completely wireless, they work on latest smartphones that have ditched the headphone jack.

2. For the dad that wants to be the boss

Make your dad feel like he’s the boss of his home with a handy voice-controlled speaker. It gives him the power to issue commands and get things done from the comfort of his favourite chair, and he won’t have to lift a finger.

Our gift suggestion: Amazon Echo

Amazon Echo can find and play music, read out the latest sports news, give weather updates and answer any trivia question under the sun. And if you connect other smart home products to it (lights, locks, switches, thermostats), you can control your entire home. The days of dad moaning about the heating being too high and telling you to turn it down may finally be over.

3. For the dad that needs to upgrade his phone

If your dad could do with a new smartphone, why not treat him to a brand new one that won’t break the bank?

Our gift suggestion: Samsung Galaxy A20e

The Galaxy A20e really delivers, with a 5.8-inch Infinity-V display that lets you see every inch of your favourite games and videos in incredible detail. There’s also an ultra-wide dual camera, to help you capture the whole scene and get spectacular shots.

The best thing about the Galaxy A20e has to be its super low price. You can get it from iD Mobile (who else?) from just £9.99 a month with no upfront cost, and £30 cashback.

Check out our Samsung Galaxy A20e deals here

4. For the dad that loves big screen action

Is your dad a TV lover? Then give him the power to watch what he wants, when he wants.

Our gift suggestion: Google Chromecast Ultra

This nifty little dongle simply plugs into the TV, and lets dad stream content onto it from his phone, tablet or laptop. He can now watch his favourite YouTube videos, Netflix movies and catch-up TV shows, even if the TV doesn’t have those apps already built-in.

And just because dad’s streaming the picture from his smartphone, it doesn’t mean he can’t do other things on it at the same time. If he minimises the Google Home app, he can take calls or send messages without interrupting what’s playing on the TV.

5. For the dad looking for super power

We all get tired of fiddling with wires and ports when we need to power up our phone. So why not go for a wireless charging pad instead?

Our gift suggestion: The Belkin Wireless Charging Pad

The Belkin Wireless Charging Pad quickly and easily charges any Qi-enabled smartphone, without the need for wires. You simply place your phone on top of it, and it starts charging.

Qi is one of the most popular wireless technologies available, and it’s used by leading smartphone manufacturers like Apple and Samsung. The best way of checking whether your phone is Qi enabled is to check the itruction leaflet (or just Google it).

6. For the dad that wants to get fit

Obviously, you’ve got to tread carefully if you’re buying a fitness device as a present for someone. But if dad’s been talking about improving his health or shedding a few pounds, he’ll really appreciated getting an activity tracker as a gift.

Our gift suggestion: Fitbit Flex 2 Activity Tracker

The Fitbit Flex 2 is a great little device for anyone looking to get into shape. With a slim and lightweight frame it can be worn 24/7 to monitor activity throughout the day, as well as checking the amount and quality of sleep throughout the night. It monitors everything from the steps you take to the distance you travel. And, if you spend your days sitting at a desk, it’ll remind you to get moving occasionally to help you keep on track.

The Fitbit Flex 2 doesn’t even need to be told what activity to track either… it just knows! Go for a swim, and with ‘SmartTrack' it automatically recognises the activity and starts tracking it. Then when you’re done, it syncs everything to the Fitbit app on your smartphone, making it easy to view your progress towards your fitness goals.

With a large display for viewing all your fitness stats, and a water-resistant design that can handle adventures in any weather, the Google Pixel 3 XL is one of the best phones for fitness currently available.

What do you think of our suggestions? Will you be buying one for Father’s Day, or will you be treating yourself? Do you have any other gift ideas for different dad types? Post a reply below and share your thoughts with the rest of the Community!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Some great ideas for what I could get my dad for Father's Day and also something I could get myself. 😂 I really need a wireless charger, I am always losing my wire or destroying them. 😑 I will definitely be getting the wireless charger and Amazon Echo for my dad. 😁
Userlevel 2
Love the first suggestion, really need some wireless noise-cancelling headphones, I keep getting my wires caught on my buttons 😂, this will certainly help that, plus good when in noisy places like the tube. I will spread the word and maybe some will turn up as a gift for me 😉

Why iD Mobile?