Sticky F.A.Q.

Wi-Fi Calling & 4G Calling

Show first post

108 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,

Had my iD SIM for about a week now. I'm aware that Three only broadcasts VoLTE on Band 20 (800 MHz). One thing I'm noticing is that if both LTE bands are available, I'm tending get Band 3 i.e. no VoLTE. In areas with limited Band 3 but good Band 20 the phone is constantly switching between VoLTE and UMTS (I.e. 3G) I tested this on my partner's phone and the results were the same.

E.g. Currently I'm in Lancaster City Centre, on 4G but not on VoLTE. Anyone else experiencing this?

Hi,

What phones are you using?
Userlevel 2

Hi,

Had my iD SIM for about a week now. I'm aware that Three only broadcasts VoLTE on Band 20 (800 MHz). One thing I'm noticing is that if both LTE bands are available, I'm tending get Band 3 i.e. no VoLTE. In areas with limited Band 3 but good Band 20 the phone is constantly switching between VoLTE and UMTS (I.e. 3G) I tested this on my partner's phone and the results were the same.

E.g. Currently I'm in Lancaster City Centre, on 4G but not on VoLTE. Anyone else experiencing this?
Hi,

What phones are you using?

Cheap Chinese model and a Moto G4 (which doesn't support VoLTE). Irrelevant though as I know that iD is not utilising Band 20 as much as it could. Plus the Umidigi worked flawlessly on EE 2 weeks ago 😐
Userlevel 1

Are you guys working on adding older phones to the list, or is it just newer models that get included? 

I've moved to a new office at work, where we get no signal, and my poor Moto G6 can't send/receive any calls through the day (maybe this is a blessing in disguise).

There is no such phone as the Sony Xperia X10. There is the Sony Xperia 10 and the Sony Ericsson X10. I assume you mean https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/pay-monthly/sony-xperia-10-64gb-black can you update please, its confusing.

Also will you support at least one “Android One” handset? https://www.android.com/one/

As outside of an iPhone or Google Pixel 4 most other phones have woeful update schedules and I don’t like to risk my security on a quickly out of date phone. I would happily purchase direct from yourselves if offered. Unfortunately the Nokia 2.2 and Moto One Macro are not Android One like many of their siblings.

I realise that these are niche compared to Samsung or Apple, but at least one option would be very much appreciated.

Hello,

I would like to join ID.

I have a device on your wifi calling list (Sony Xperia XA2) but I didn’t buy it from ID. It is unlocked and up to date.

Will it definitely work for wifi calling and volte on ID?

Thanks!

NickP

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Good to hear that @Meritez 

Sometimes devices unlisted can work, it’s just that with subsequent updates to firmware the ability then gets lost.  So in the effort to not disappoint people it’s best to usually leave them off the list just so that we don’t potentially disappoint people in future by reporting something falsely.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello there @nrsp 

The only reason I could think that it wouldn’t work is if the firmware for the phone is one that is flashed in particular with a previous network so that certain features (WiFi calling in this case) are only compatible when used with said networks own SIM’s.

We’ve heard customers tell us they’ve flashed the firmware to make things work fine thereafter, but that’s not something we’d be able to help with from our side.

You’d be welcome to purchase a SIM and cancel it within the cooling off period to test if your phone allows for WiFi calling though.

Userlevel 1

I have a note 8 on the list, wifi calling is turned on and software updated but still not working.  Any ideas????

Userlevel 2

I have a note 8 on the list, wifi calling is turned on and software updated but still not working.  Any ideas????

Try enabling air plane mode, then turn on WiFi. It sometimes doesn't work if you are in an area of good coverage.

Userlevel 1

Sadly doesn't seem to have worked. Do ID need to activate the SIM for wifi calling?

Userlevel 2

Sadly doesn't seem to have worked. Do ID need to activate the SIM for wifi calling?

Are you trying this on your home wifi network? I would suggest you try a public hotspot. Some routers need the correct ports opening up to allow wifi calling traffic. E.g. I found I couldn’t use wifi calling at work because out internet provide had blocked the required ports! I am sure if you try a different place (or two) you will find it works. There is no specific setting on the SIM card, if you can make calls you should be able to route via wifi.

You can read more at this thread: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/ask-a-question-18/ports-and-protocols-needed-for-wifi-calling-31811

Userlevel 1

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me

It is on my home network but my other note 8 works perfectly on it !! I'm not sure what else to try.

Userlevel 2

Thank you again for taking the time to get back to me

It is on my home network but my other note 8 works perfectly on it !! I'm not sure what else to try.

What network is that one on? Have you contacted ID?

Userlevel 1

It is on ID as well.  I keep trying to talk to ID  but I cant seem to get a person to talk with. Their online system says it's an agent but they keep just giving generic answers like a robot. I don't know what to do.

Userlevel 2

It is on ID as well.  I keep trying to talk to ID  but I cant seem to get a person to talk with. Their online system says it's an agent but they keep just giving generic answers like a robot. I don't know what to do.

Maybe daft question, have you tried swapping the sim cards round?

Userlevel 1

Good idea I'll give it a try but I'm in europe at present do I'll try it on Sunday. 

Hi, ive just bought an Alcatel 3L (2019) specifically because its on the wifi calling supported list... but it doesnt seem to work…. is there something i need to do to ‘activate’ it?  Latest sw update applied etc..

Thanks

Userlevel 2

Hi, ive just bought an Alcatel 3L (2019) specifically because its on the wifi calling supported list... but it doesnt seem to work…. is there something i need to do to ‘activate’ it?  Latest sw update applied etc..

Thanks

Under network>mobile network, there might be an option to turn on WiFi calling. You can sometimes check if it's working by enabling airplane mode, then turning on WiFi again. If not, you might be our of luck. Please let me know how your get on.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @sunnybank 

Did Kurt’s message above help at all?

If not, do you happen to know if the phone you bought was previously sold through another network at all?

Some of the other networks flash the firmware of phones sold directly through them which unfortunately make it so certain features become exclusively locked unless you’re using their SIM’s.  EE being one in particular we’ve seen examples of this being the case.

SIM-free phones that have never had any network affiliation prior should always be fine if they’re on our compatibility list though. 

Phones sold through iD Mobile on contract don’t get locked in such a way if you were to use them elsewhere later down the line neither.

Hi, no i'd already tried this based on the other comments…  its a brand new SIM-Free phone so as you say I did expect it to work as its on the list… not great as it was bought specifically for this reason as i have no phone signal at home… the list clearly cant be trusted at face value.. is the “Alcatel 3L” support for the 2020 version only?  if so it needs to be stated!

Userlevel 2

Hi, no i'd already tried this based on the other comments…  its a brand new SIM-Free phone so as you say I did expect it to work as its on the list… not great as it was bought specifically for this reason as i have no phone signal at home… the list clearly cant be trusted at face value.. is the “Alcatel 3L” support for the 2020 version only?  if so it needs to be stated!

Do you have any others phones that you could test your ID SIM in? Or try that phone on a different WiFi network. (Sometimes the problem can lie with the router)

Hi, yep i borrowed an iphone 6 to test the IDmobile sim on wifi calling (on the same wifi network) and it worked fine.. tested that before i went and bought the Alcatel 3L.. 

Userlevel 2

Hi, yep i borrowed an iphone 6 to test the IDmobile sim on wifi calling (on the same wifi network) and it worked fine.. tested that before i went and bought the Alcatel 3L.. 

Oops sounds like the phone then, id be sending it back, lol. Did you have specific reason for wanting the Alcatel?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

When did you buy the Alcatel @sunnybank?

Was it from ourselves or someone else?

Have you been able to use WiFi calling with it when you pop in a friend/ family members SIM do you know? 

No i didnt come from CPW - it was a tesco’s refurb from ebay… it could have had some history i guess but its an immaculate refurb and works perfectly other than wifi calling… wifi calling appears to be a bit bleading edge hit and miss at the moment

Why iD Mobile?