Solved

Pixel 6 Pro not working with ID mobile?

• 26 October 2021
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1

Pixel 6 Pro arrived today from Google, put my ID Mobile SIM in it....no signal. Put the SIM back in my Pixel 5a, all working.

Tried the wife's SIM card, she's also on IDMobile, not working.

Tried an EE SIM and a Vodafone SIM in the Pixel 6, all working fine.

IDMobile trying to fob me off on that the handset has an issue, that it's network locked. Google saying it's a network issue as it works with the other Sims.

Google do not sell network locked phones.

Anyone else get this? Or on Three/Smarty? (IDMobile use threes network)

icon

Best answer by rorymitchellster 27 October 2021, 10:49

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

38 replies

Userlevel 1

Facing exactly the same issue on my new Pixel 6! Tried two different iD Mobile SIMs (including a newly activated one) and they work on my old Pixel 3 XL, not on the 6.

Userlevel 1

Me too. Pixel 6. Temporarily unavailable message. Can only use wi-fi calling.

Partners EE SIM works fine

Userlevel 1

Okay so this isn't just my handset!! Thank God it's not just me.

Theres clearly an issue but I don't know if it's with ID or Three in general. I'll try a Smarty SIM tomorrow!

Facing exactly the same issue on my new Pixel 6! Tried two different iD Mobile SIMs (including a newly activated one) and they work on my old Pixel 3 XL, not on the 6.

Userlevel 1

Me too. Pixel 6. Temporarily unavailable message. Can only use wi-fi calling.

Partners EE SIM works fine

Wifi calling is working. Voda and EE working. ID by itself NOT working

Userlevel 1

Seems Pixel 6 isn’t yet on the list of supported devices from iD mobile? I imagine it’ll be sorted in the next few days but I don’t know why they’re waiting until 2 days before the official release date (when people always get devices early) to change this!

Userlevel 1

Forgot to link said list above: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets

Userlevel 1

Seems Pixel 6 isn’t yet on the list of supported devices from iD mobile? I imagine it’ll be sorted in the next few days but I don’t know why they’re waiting until 2 days before the official release date (when people always get devices early) to change this!

They're selling the damn thing! I bought a Pixel 5a, betting they don't support that but it works!

Having the same issue with my Pixel 6, went to currys and got replacement sim and still not working. Partners o2 sim works fine.

Userlevel 1

Having the same issue with my Pixel 6, went to currys and got replacement sim and still not working. Partners o2 sim works fine.

Someone on Reddit reported not working with Giff Gaff, someone else Saif O2 worked,  so I wonder if it's MVNOs not working..

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

How very odd! Has anyone got another MVNO SIM that they could try? E.g. GIFF GAFF, Voxi, Smarty etc...

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I can't edit my post above…

I found this post:

https://community.giffgaff.com/d/33381341-5g-sim-in-pixel-6-pro

Userlevel 1

How very odd! Has anyone got another MVNO SIM that they could try? E.g. GIFF GAFF, Voxi, Smarty etc...

I should be able to try a Smarty SIM today.

I hope ID aren't doing something stupid like waiting for actual release day.

My daughter should be able to try Voxi today in her Pixel 6

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I recommend that you all raise the issue with Google Support.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

I should be able to try a Smarty SIM today.

I hope ID aren't doing something stupid like waiting for actual release day.

My daughter should be able to try Voxi today in her Pixel 6

ID mobile won't be stopping the device from registration on their network. This will be a firmware/carrier setting issue most likely. Google will need to push an update to fix it (I think).

Userlevel 1

Have contacted Google Support about this but they don’t appear to think it’s a problem on their end. Have sent them a link to this discussion (especially the point about GiffGaff users facing the same issue) and will post here as soon as I get an update.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Well they will come the 28th and all the UK MVNO networks make contact with them! 🤣

Userlevel 1

I have insisted that the issue be escalated to the IDMobile “technical” team, but I don’t hold out much hope. The first line operative I spoke to was extremely dismissive of the issue. They claim I should hear something in 48 hours. Might be worth someone else raising it with them and pointing to this thread.

Userlevel 1

Hey. Security update on pixel 6 this morning. SIM card works now. Not sure if related or ID did a fix. All good now though - 5g as well. Pixel 6

Userlevel 1

Hey. Security update on pixel 6 this morning. SIM card works now. Not sure if related or ID did a fix. All good now though - 5g as well. Pixel 6

Great news! 

I factory reset my damn phone, so I can’t check! Will do now!

Userlevel 1

Ah amazing, thanks

Ah amazing, thanks for the update!

Userlevel 1

Can anyone else confirm?

Userlevel 1

So after what seemed like an eternity to install a 75MB security file on my Pixel 6 Pro (that only popped up when the SIM card was added), I can confirm it’s working, although I’m not getting 4G like I do on my Pixel 5a.

Userlevel 1

Also fixed it for me!

Userlevel 1

So after what seemed like an eternity to install a 75MB security file on my Pixel 6 Pro (that only popped up when the SIM card was added), I can confirm it’s working, although I’m not getting 4G like I do on my Pixel 5a.

4G is working - just took it’s time.

So I wonder if that was a Google issue, or a provider issue?

Userlevel 1

4G is working - just took it’s time.

So I wonder if that was a Google issue, or a provider issue?

Yeah, sounds like a Google one if it was fixed via a firmware update, seems they didn’t add support for UK MVNO networks? Maybe they were always planning to roll it out before release but didn’t do so in time?

Why iD Mobile?