F.A.Q.

5G: Everything you need to know

• 15 April 2021
  • 0 replies
5G: Everything you need to know
Userlevel 8
Badge

Discover everything you need to know about 5G with iD Mobile – the UK’s fastest 5G*.

*1 July 2022 to 31 December 2022

What is 5G?

5G is the fifth generation of mobile network. It’s around 9x faster than standard 4G and offers lag-free streaming, smooth gaming, rapid downloads and greater connectivity. Woah.

5G connects thousands of different devices, helping to create new smart services and provide real-time information about your local area.

How does 5G work?

5G runs on bandwidth that’s faster and wider than ever before. In fact, it offers up to five times the bandwidth of a 4G connection – that's why it’s so speedy!

Even better, 5G has a much larger data capacity than 3G or 4G. 5G on iD Mobile can support around 1000 more phones per metre than 4G, so you’ll get a much stronger signal in crowded places.

Think of 5G like a motorway with hundreds of lanes. There’d never be any traffic and everything would flow smoothly. That’s exactly what using 5G is like.

How will I know that I’m on 5G?

To enjoy super-fast 5G, you need to be in a 5G area with a 5G capable phone. Once you have all these, you’ll see the 5G icon at the top of your screen, next to the signal bar. Hooray – you’re on speedy 5G!

If you’re on Wi-Fi, the 5G icon may not appear. Make sure you’re disconnected from Wi-Fi before checking your 5G status.

In areas without 5G, your phone will automatically connect to the next best thing: 4G. It will reconnect to 5G when you’re back in a 5G area. Phew.

Am I in a 5G area?

You might well be! iD Mobile 5G is available in over 400 locations across the UK. Use our handy network coverage checker to find out if you’re in a 5G, 4G or 3G zone.

Does 5G use more data than 4G?

Not necessarily. You’ll use the same amount of data as on 4G, but because 5G is so speedy, you might end up using your phone (and data) more.

Take this: if you were to download a 3GB film, it'd take around 1 hour 8 minutes on 3G or about 40 minutes on 4G.  With 5G, it’d take around 35 seconds – that’s a huge difference! You could download tons of films on 5G in the same time it’d take to download one on 4G. That’s why, theoretically, you might end up using more of your data on 5G. It all depends on your use.

Can I run out of 5G data?

5G works the same as 4G and 3G, meaning you’ll get the same amount of data (but might use it faster). Whether you run out or not depends on your plan’s data allowance and how you use your phone.

If you’re worried about it, make sure you keep an eye on your data consumption. Log into the iD Mobile app or ‘My Account’ online to view your remaining data allowance. Alternatively, choose a plan with unlimited data so you can focus on the important stuff. Like winning that virtual race.

Can I get unlimited 5G data?

Yes! If you’re in a 5G area with a 5G capable phone and are on a plan with unlimited data, you can enjoy unrestricted streaming, browsing, gaming and downloading. Nice.

How much does 5G cost?

5G is always free on iD Mobile. You don’t have to pay any extra for our super-fast network.

Will all iD customers get 5G?

Of course! 5G comes as standard on all iD Mobile plans. So, all customers who are in a 5G area with a 5G capable phone can use our 5G network. High five.

Is 5G safe?

Yes. 5G follows the same health and safety guidelines as 4G, 3G and 2G, so we can assure you that it’s safe to use. Ofcom carries out extensive tests to ensure mobile phone signals are emitted in safe levels for people to use.

Can I talk to someone about 5G?

Got a question about 5G? Ask the Community!

This topic has been closed for comments
Why iD Mobile?