Solved

Android updates on Samsung S7 Edge

• 21 December 2018
  • 2 replies

Hi, I have a Samsung S7 Edge. It regularly receives app updates as usual but doesn't seem to receive Android security patches or Android updates. I've checked in Settings > About phone > Software info and it shows that the Android version is 7.0 and the Android security patch level is 1 October 2017. I've also tried checking for updates via Settings > Software update > Download updates manually, but it always says 'The latest updates have already been installed. Current version G935FXXU1DQJ3/G935FOXA1DQJ3/G935FXXU1DQIL'. Any idea why? Can someone help please?
icon

Best answer by terrywebbs 22 December 2018, 12:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @kelechi.chima

Phone manufacturers usually provide 1-2 years of updates, Samsung in my opinion is particularly bad about updating its phones for prolonged period of time. Because we are about see announcement of S10 in couple of months max, older devices are being dropped for update support. Very likely this is why phone like s6 or s7 are not receiving updates anymore.
Badge +10
@kelechi.chima you might want to check again, worth checking every month.

open the Settings app, go into the Software update menu, and tap the Download updates manually option to see if the update is available for you. If not, you can take a look at our firmware database and download the latest firmware for your country.

Most of this is network based, I read o2 are the worst for delaying handset updates so they can test the software themselves, always wise to buy a sim free mobile that way you are not tired to the network for updates.

Sony is the worst for dropping software updates even after 6 months, thought Samsung was the better of the evils.

Why iD Mobile?