Solved

Carphone Warehouse not fixing a handset under warranty

• 5 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Carphone Warehouse have refused to fix my handset which is still under the manufacturers warranty after it stopped working due to a software update. The reason they gave is that there is a crack in the screen although this has nothing to do with the phone not working! Obviously without a working handset I cant use ID Mobile services and wont be able to continue paying for them. Where does ID Mobile stand on this?
icon

Best answer by Ryan 5 March 2019, 17:56

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Goran,

It is unfortunate to hear that your phone has developed a fault. Usually, the Carphone Warehouse would be able to repair your phone under the warranty, however, certain aspects can affect the warranty status of the phone, and a cracked screen is one of those issues that is not covered by the warranty.

Even if the fault is not linked to a broken screen, it still voids the warranty as a whole and the next step is to undertake a chargeable repair. You could speak to the manufacturer and ask them for assistance, but it's likely they will reject the repair too based upon the accidental damage to the device.

Ryan
So am I to understand that if I just fix the screen they will then fix my phone? Further the phone had stopped working because of an update. are they just trying to get a sale out of this? Sounds like a strange business model given I wont be able to continue as an ID Mobile customer. Immediate loss for for all concerned.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Goran,

Having the phone screen fixed by an manufacturer accredited repairer should mean that the phone could be booked in for a warranty repair as long as the issue is solely based upon a software defect and not hardware related in any way, as other hardware faults can arise if another aspect of the phone is damaged.

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, yes that does sound like racketeering and it's illegal. The law says that an electrical appliance like a mobile phone must be functional for up to 6 years. Given that the phone was broken by none other than the software manufacturer that created its original software this is a pretty simple case of a company refusing to fix something they've broken in hope they can get another sale out of it. Sad. Not the first or the last.
Userlevel 6
Badge +10
Hi @Goran,

I can only apologise that a more favourable response can't be offered, however if an aspect of the warranty status applied to a phone is not adhered to i.e physical damage being present, then the warranty as a whole becomes void I'm afraid.

Please speak with the manufacturer for further assistance regarding your warranty claim.

Ryan
Userlevel 8
Badge +9
Hi @Goran

I would like to share here a little bit to try and explain. Carphone Warehouse has voided your warranty not because they want to in order to make a sale but because they have to follow guidelines received from Samsung. They are authorised to repair Samsung warranties as long as they follow these guidelines. I am working in a shop which is selling second hand technology and we offer our own warranty on these products. When we receive a phone with crack on the screen we would void that warranty as well even if fault does not relate to cracked screen.

Your only option here is to contact Samsung directly as @Ryan advised.

Kind Regards

Why iD Mobile?