4 essential apps for hikes and walks

4 essential apps for hikes and walks
Userlevel 8
Badge

With all the helpful mobile apps to help guide your way, there’s never been a better time to go for a walk. And whether you’re finding your way around a new city or lacing up your boots and heading into the hills, you’ll find a great range of free and paid for apps to get you started.

Here’s 4 of our faves that you won’t want to leave home without. Make sure you read to the end, as there’s a chance to win a brilliant prize too!

Google Maps

What it’s best for: Casual walks around cities or parks.

The chances are that you’re already using this app. It often comes installed on android phones and has a variety of uses – from checking train times to looking for somewhere to eat.

But it has some features that are just made for walking. Want to get off the roads when walking around towns or country parks? Pick walking mode and it’ll usually take you down some quiet paths that are a little off the beaten track.

For another thing, you can download maps and use them offline. That means that you can go for walks where mobile reception is a bit patchy and, because you still get GPS, you’ll know where you are in relation to your downloaded map.

You can also find reviews of nice places to stop on your walk. It’s a great app for a casual walk, but if you’re going for a more serious hike, you might want to try AllTrails. Keep reading!

Available on: iOS & Android

Price: Free

Met Office

What it’s best for: Making sure you don’t get caught in the rain!

If you’re heading out in the UK, make sure you keep half an eye on the weather. Download the Met Office app for daily and even hourly weather updates. You can search by location and you’ll get alerts if there’s extreme weather on the way. It’s also a great tool for people who suffer from allergies – since you’ll also get pollen alerts too.

If you prefer a portable weather forecaster, you can watch Met Office videos giving you UK summaries. And if you’re tackling a mountain, the Met Office provides detailed mountain weather forecasts.

There are interactive rainfall maps too, so you can plan your holiday walks the day before. So, you’ll know whether to strap on your walking boots or have a longer lie in.

Price: Free

AllTrails

What it’s best for: Serious rambling in the countryside.

Fancy a hike in the middle of nowhere? AllTrails features 300,000 – so you’ll never get lost. Maps are detailed and clearly mark footpaths – even telling you which land is private and where you have right of way. It’s a great feature if you’re hiking cross country.

If you’re stuck for inspiration, it’s also packed with suggested walks. You can search by difficulty level, length and even whether it’s dog-friendly or if there are waterfalls on the route.

The base app is free, but Pro (£29.99 per year) lets you download maps, unlocks more map details and sends you alerts when you’ve taken a wrong turn. Great for when you can’t find a signpost.

Price: Free with premium features

Fitbit App

What it’s best for: Monitoring your progress and health on a walk.

The Fitbit app can be used to track your route, distance walked, pace and a lot more – all via GPS. You can also use it for daily steps using the motion sensor on your phone.

While you don’t need a Fitbit to use the app, it will open up a whole load more features - so you can keep an eye on your heart rate, weight and calories burned. You can also challenge your friends to get active.

Price: Free with premium features

Giveaway Time - Closed

To be in with a chance of winning, we want to know where your favourite place to go for a walk/hike is? And feel free to add a pic! It could be your local park, a walk along the river, or even a leisurely hike up Ben Nevis.

Those who share their thoughts will be in with the chance to win... a FITBIT Charge 5!

The giveaway ends at 23:59 on 22nd August 2022, and we'll announce one lucky iD community winner shortly after.

Good luck!

IMPORTANT INFO: The Winner will be notified by Private message on the Community. The message will come from the official iD Mobile account or from on of our Community mods (Our mods can be identified by a small ‘iD’ badge on by their profile picture. You can check your private messages by clicking on your icon on the top left of the screen, and selecting ‘Private messages’. When you receive a private message on the Community, you’ll also receive an email informing you that you’ve received a message on the Community - this email will be sent to the email address you registered on the community with, if you signed up with Facebook, the email will be sent to the address registered on your Facebook account. So, keep an eye out! 

T&Cs Apply

79 replies

Userlevel 1

My favourite place to walk is around the South West coast

Userlevel 1

My favourite place is Snowdon. Lots of routes to choose from, depending on your mood you could have a chill walk or an adventurous one with gorgeous views each way!

Userlevel 1

My fave place to walk/hike (cycle 😜) is the Forest of Dean. Love it there if it’s the sculpture trail or Gruffalo trail walks or the Family trail cycle path there is so much to do and it’s so pretty. 

Userlevel 1

MARGAM COUNTRY PARK, PORT TALBOT.

One wonderful walk in one of the most loveliest walk locations in south Wales. 

My favourite place to walk is in north Wales up to Mao Famou

My favourite place is sankey valley park it has a canel  with swans & old building  & loads of knooks & walk ways that take you all over the country in cheshire & town u can go for an hour or 2 walk & u end at the other side of town 

Userlevel 1

Dymchurch beach - at low tide 

Userlevel 1

My favourite walk/hike, is around the tip of the Llyn peninsula, north wales. Starting from Sarn Bach, along to Port Ceriad beach, then along the cliffs Wales Coastal path to Machroes Beach, stoping for some coffee, or an ice cream. Then onward through Machroes, back to Sarn Bach. 

A Fantastic 8km walk. 

Userlevel 1

My favourite place is right on my doorstep - the Malvern Hills in Worcestershire where I now live...

Userlevel 1

It doesn't matter where I walk it is always enjoyable for me, as long as I have my camera and my four legged friend! Her favourite place is the beach. Luckily we live in Arbroath, on the east coast of Scotland so we could walk for hours and hours and not run out of sand...until the tide comes in that is!! 

Userlevel 1

My favourite place to walk is the North Pembrokeshire coast path - sea on one side, rugged coastline and beautiful scenery. Walk as little or as far as you want and find new beaches to paddle hot feet - bliss!

Userlevel 1

I love walking in’God’s Own Country’, where I live. Otley Chevin is wonderful. Yes please.

Userlevel 1

My favourite place to walk is in the evening just before sunset to absolutely any pub 😄

my favourite places to walk is the Lake District  where I was born , I don't live there now but visit lots and always feels like home 😊 

Userlevel 1

My new favourite spot is the Scilly Isles - long journey to get there for most, but the reward is a paradise! 

Userlevel 1

my favourite places to walk is the Lake District  where I was born , I don't live there now but visit lots and always feels like home 

I’m beyond lucky to live at the base of the Pennines. During lockdown it was a godsend. There are loads of different walks ranging from half an hour to several hours walking over to tintwhistle or holmfirth. Lots of wildlife too - deer, pheasants, rabbits to name but a few. See lots of other walkers out on my ventures.

Userlevel 1

Definitely North Wales. There is so much variety, you could be scrambling up a practically vertical rock face one day and a relaxed waterside amble the next! 

Userlevel 1

I really enjoy a run around the local trails of bear park Langley moor in Co Durham!

My favourite place to walk is through Bewdley and along the river Severn. 

I love walking through Bournemouth gardens from Coy pond down through the various gardens each with there own unique feel and earthy floral scent, a variety of greenery down to the where the beach opens up to a beautiful wide panoramic view of the bright sandy beaches with a soft blue ocean with the fresh smell of salt, feeling recharged for tackle anything that comes my way.

I love walking either at Stafford Castle  or cannock chase it clears my mind 

My favourite place is Leamington spa ☺️..I go once a week for a nice walk, the park is beautiful and peaceful.

Userlevel 1

I love a walk with a swim at Chapmans pool in Dorset. Very nice 👌

Userlevel 2

Anywhere, but most often near home in Northants. 

Why iD Mobile?