iOS 14 and Android 11 - Here's Everything You Need To Know

• 23 September 2020
  • 81 replies
iOS 14 and Android 11 - Here's Everything You Need To Know
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
  • iD Mobile Employee
  • 118 replies

iOS 14 & Android 11 at a glance (Includes a competition)

Looking for a new smartphone? Whichever brand or device you choose, the chances are that it’ll all come down to a single question – iPhone or Android? Here, we’ll explain what both can do to help you make the choice. And if you fancy sprucing up that new handset with some fantastic games and apps, read on to find out how to get your hands on a £50 app store gift card!

Let’s start with the basics. iOS and Android are the operating systems that most smartphones use. All iPhones use iOS and the majority of other brands run on Android. Both have been around for quite a while now and have been refined again and again over the past decade, making them better, smoother and more intuitive with age. However, there are a few things you should know when making your mind up.

iOS (iPhone, iPad)

If you’ve already got a Mac or iPad, you’re probably familiar with Apple’s operating system. While every Apple phone, tablet and computer works brilliantly on its own, once you have one, iOS means that new Apple devices fit into your ecosystem right away. With that, you can carry data between your iPhone and Mac, copy text on one device and paste it on another, or even scan photos using your iPhone camera and edit them on your laptop. It really is seamless.

When we say the operating system looks and feels clean, we mean it. When you unlock the home screen for the first time, you won’t find any niche, pre-installed apps (or ‘bloatware’) that you can’t remove. This is often the case with some Android phones, especially since Android is so customisable (but more on that later). So, you only start with the absolute essentials, and you can always download the apps you need to make it your own. Apps can be found in the App Store, and there are nearly 2 million to choose from.

Speaking of downloads, you’ll always get regular software and security updates to keep your iPhone ticking over, the moment they’re available. And it couldn’t be easier. Just go to Settings > General > Software Update, then tap Download and Install. Simple as that. With regular updates, your iPhone stays current and feels fresh well into the future.

Already an iPhone user? Go to your settings to get the latest iOS 14 now! It’s got a bunch of great new features, including custom icons that make your home screen pop, and widgets that give you weather and news updates, show the song you’re playing and more.

You’ll also be able to find your apps in an instant. Pin your most used apps to the home screen and scroll through the rest of them alphabetically, or group them into categories like ‘social media’ and ‘finance’. Perfect.

Android (Samsung, Google Pixel, Huawei, Honor, Motorola, Sony, OPPO and more)

The Android system is used across a massive range of smartphones and tablets, from entry level handsets to flagship phones that do it all. So, it’s easy to find an Android device to suit your budget.

Different Android phone manufacturers have their own interface, or ‘skin’, that runs with Android as its base. There’s Samsung’s One UI, OPPO Color OS, and Google’s ‘stock’ Android offering, among many others. While these are each unique in their own way, the main navigation and feel remain very similar.

We mentioned that Android is popular because of its customisation options. If you want a system that you can really personalise, this is it. You can put apps wherever you like on the home screen, group them into categories, add widgets and loads more. If you prefer a single home screen with only the essentials, you can do just that and access the rest of them from the app drawer.

Don’t have an app drawer? No problem, just download one from the Google Play Store! Every Android device has access to the Google Play Store and its library of over 2 million apps. And the beauty of Android is, even if you don’t like the apps that come with your phone, they can be changed.  Take your default browser, for example. If it feels tricky to use or you’re struggling with button locations, just choose another from the Play Store and set it as your new default, like Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. You’ll feel right at home.

Android gets better over time, too. Most new Android phones come with two years of regular security updates, and it’s easy to download the latest version of the operating system. Go to Settings > System > Advanced > System update. There, you’ll see if there’s a new update and you can follow the steps to get it.

The latest version of Android, Android 11, is starting to roll out now and it’s bringing some exciting new updates to the system. You can open and minimise messages from friends and family in chat bubbles and move them across the screen out of the way. You can change the phone’s theme to Dark Mode and put it on a timer so you’re not straining your eyes when you browse at night. And you can even control your smart lighting, heating and speakers from the notification drop-down menu. Wow.

As for phone security, Android has you covered. Whichever manufacturer you choose, you’ll find handsets with fingerprint scanners, facial recognition and passcodes to give you secure access. And in the Google Play Store, you can find anti-virus apps and clean-up software that remove unnecessary, clunky files from your storage and scan apps for harmful files. That way you can browse for new apps with peace of mind.

Competition time:

Want to get stuck in and find some cracking new apps to use and games to play? We’re giving away a £50 Google Play Store voucher and a £50 App Store voucher, entering the competition is easy. All you have to do is tell us below whether you prefer Android devices or Apple and why. We’ll pick 2 lucky winners from the iD Community. The competition ends on Monday 12th October. Standard Ts&Cs apply. Good luck!

Winners:

Congratulations @Richiewyn and @Caiti you have won this competition. Please check your direct messages where we will contact you now. 

Thank you to everyone who entered the competition! 

81 replies

Userlevel 1

It looks like I am the first commenting here 😊

I have always preferred Android device. The phone I am currently using is OnePlus 7 Pro.

Userlevel 1

Always, always had Android, tried iOS for about 2 weeks and hated it. More features and apps with Android.

Userlevel 1

I prefer android never had problems i switched many years ago from the iphone as it wasnt any good always updates. The android phone i have is s20 never had issues and seems more variety on the android system

Userlevel 1

I much prefer Android. From the variety of phones to the customisation options. I am currently using an Oppo Reno 2Z running ColorOS 7.1 based on Android 10. It is so easy to use.

Userlevel 1

I'd rather have android always preferred it better than apple 

Userlevel 1

Android. Like being able to pick a different brand of phone rather than being limited to 1

I'm an Android man!

I use Google drive for files, Google photos for pictures and Play Music up until recently for music.

Living in that ecosystem works for me.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I definitely am a fan of both. I use a Mac and iPad for home use, and have had an iPhone; but I really do enjoy Samsung devices as they are always innovating and Android devices have so much more customisation and freedom. iPhones tend to be very restrictive on what you can do and what apps you have.  

Userlevel 1

I had apple for many years but since changing to android I have not looked back there's so much more you can do with android I would never go back 

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Don’t forget to check out our other interesting article on the new PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series, let us know in the comments on that article which franchise you prefer. I am definitely a PlayStation fan! I’ve already pre-ordered my PS5 #Excited!

https://community.idmobile.co.uk/blog-posts-and-competitions-45/playstation-5-vs-xbox-series-x-s-37603

Userlevel 4

I recently moved over from Apple to Android and much prefer Android. The screen, processing power and camera of the phone is much better than any iPhone that I could've bought for a similar amount of money.

Userlevel 2

Definitely Android but I have to defend what, I believe, is far better value for money in a household of Applephiles.

Android - having the ability to install apps not from a selected store is must have

I have always used android, i find it so much simpler to use than apple. I also found android can be used with many different brands and items.

Userlevel 1

Prefer Android.

It's eco system is easy to blend in without spending lot of 💰.  Hope security improves over time.

Over the years I have used both android and apple, I have now returned to android for good, I feel Apple are over priced and restrictive on what apps I can use.

Userlevel 3

I have always used Android and have got used to it. I have just acquired an iPad and find it less user friendly and most of the apps that I use are not very compatible -  WhatsApp runs very slow as does Gmail and they don’t always update regularly. Maybe I just need to use and get used to the iOS more.

Userlevel 1

Bought an brand new Ipad about 5years ago and enjoyed it a great deal.  I changed my Nokia phone to a used Apple 5s about 3years ago and ‘With a little help from my friends ,”  soon got the hang of things.  

My partner kept old Nokia phone until about 3 months ago when I upgraded to a more modern  used Iphone S and my apple was passed over. 

The features on the new phone are mostly beyond my needs  and capabilities  and  it does things I don’t intend. 

I have not had a smart phone other than the apple so genuinely cannot compare.  

I do use laptop  Apple Iphone and Ipad most days as can continue lots of things between them. 

I’m an Android fan. I need something that is affordable, simple to use and easy to understand, I don’t need bells and whistles. Android has given me everything I need and is compatible with all my other devices.

Userlevel 1

I love my Nokia Android One phone - It is kept up to date with security patches for over 2 years and keeps working.

I have had both Apple and Android phones in the past. Currently I have an android phone and have completly changing my opinion on them. It is user friendly, fast and responsive for my needs. I'll be staying with android for the foreseeable. X

Userlevel 1

Android was built on copying Apples OS.
Apple has far superior Integration of Hardware and Softwa
re in the iPhone. 
Apps are out first on iPhone. 

Syncs so well within the Apple ecosystem.

Apple Pay

Family sharing

Unrivalled support 

etc 

Userlevel 1

I’m a fan of both - I like using Android for my phone and have an iPad which I like to use

Userlevel 1

Always android for me, have had apple phones before and I hated them even got my children to switch to android.

Android is more user friendly and better price.

Definitely the iPhone & IOS dor me, they're way more secure, there’s no way I’d trust all the financial information & apps I use on my iPhone to Android. Never, never, never.

Why iD Mobile?