That big HD or 4K screen in your living room is the perfect way to view the photos and videos you have saved on your smartphone or tablet. Now that most TVs have built-in Wi-Fi, it's simpler than ever to connect your mobile devices.
In this guide we'll explain how to quickly and easily get your mobile device and TV talking to one another so you can start making more use of that big screen in your home
Google Chromecast – Android and iOS
Google has created a very affordable way of getting things from your device to your big screen with something they call a ‘Chromecast Dongle’. It’s a little device that plugs into a HDMI port on your TV and connects to your WiFi so your phone can ‘cast’ to it.
'Casting' is a general term that means sending content from one device to another, in this case from your mobile device to your TV. It's easy to spot when you can cast something because you'll see a specific icon.
You'll usually see the icon on video apps such as YouTube and Netflix. If you select the icon, it will then bring up a list of devices that content can be cast to. Simply select your TV and the image will be displayed. If you can't see your chosen video on the TV, then try returning to your TV's home menu and cast again.
Here's how to do it.
- Make sure your Chromecast and mobile device are on the same network.
- Open the Chromecast app on your phone or tablet.
- Select Cast Screen and then hit Cast Screen again on the next screen.
- You'll then select the Chromecast you want to connect with, and your device's screen will now be mirrored on your TV.
How to get things from your iPhone/iPad to your TV
Similar to Google, Apple have created a device that enables you to send pictures and video from your Apple device to your TV, it’s called Apple TV
Rather than being a dongle to just send information to, the Apple TV is a mini set top box loaded with loads of apps and services like Netflix, Amazon Prime, iPlayer and more! You can of course also share all of those holiday pictures and videos with a modern slide show right from the sofa!
Amazons answer to the Chromecast, the Firestick is another dongle type device that sits neatly in a HDMI port on your TV and lets your phone connect to it wirelessly
Follow these simple steps to get connected
- Go to the Settings menu on your Fire TV Stick.
- Select Display & Sounds followed by Enable Display Mirroring.
- On your phone, select the screen mirroring option (not every phone and tablet will have this) from the quick-access menu.
- Select the Fire TV device you want to connect with.
Hopefully you found this useful, let us know in the comments below if there are any other ways you get content from your phone to your TV.