Blog

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021

What’s new in the world of tech? - August 2021

Show first post

99 replies

Solid state batteries are going to be a real game changer in electric car technology , removing  major obstacles to their rapid adoption 

Userlevel 1

I work in a care setting providing a range of support to differently able people and the best advance in technology I have seen is when we purchased a VR headset. Seeing the joy and wonder the headset was able to give these people was amazing.

We used the headset to allow people to experience previously unimaginable things, driving with sharks, exploring the Great pyramids and going on a safari. These things are generally inaccessible for most but especially if you have a disability. 

During the pandemic we also used the headset to allow people to visit their childhood homes, walk along the street's of there youth and meet and spend time with their families. It was magical.

Being middle age I am happy with a middle age Samsung Experia. I just need all my apps and games and keeping in touch with a lot of people. Apps for meditation, sleep hypnosis, brain training, learning languages and other stuff , and also video-calling, I now couldn't live with. Also camera and social media. When I was young we didn't have mobile phones or internet , how did I cope lol

Thank you for inviting me on this chance to win OPPO FIND X3 NEO

I am pleasantly surprised by the new technological advancement in mobile cpu’s

First 4nm CPU will be announced by the end of 2021. It is capable of 5g of up to 5Gbit/s :)

This message greets me when I access your website!

not surprising as your website is just one of an estimated 2 billion other websites that require visitors to agree their Privacy and Cookie policies. It is being suggested that cookie preferences should are stored on your own computer or browser, you would then need to enter them just the once and not every time you visit any of the other 2 Billion websites.
The UK's information commissioner is to ask the G7 group of nations (some of the most powerful countries in the world) to join forces against cookie pop-ups online.

We Know about AI which is just around the corner, also folding screens. Better cameras do not interest me, but the finer details such as software, interface, I have read and seen some great stuff about Biological interfaces for injured people .I think in time this will be introduced into the phone and computer market.

I recently heard there were new samsung 'folds' was it? I'm quite intrested to see them.

AI, space tourism and cutting-edge consumer tech – it’s all happening in 2021…

With much of the daily news focused on the covid-19 pandemic and the global response, you’d be forgiven for missing out on all the exciting developments that are happening right now in the world of technology. And there are quite a few.

In some cases, the global pandemic and varying stages of lockdown have meant that technological advancements have sped up rapidly. Businesses and institutions that were previously set in their ways are now a hive of digital collaboration and automation. Schools, offices and shops have adapted to a changing world with the help of amazing tech, and artificial intelligence is getting even smarter. The present is looking ever more futuristic!

Even the world of consumer tech is unrecognisable compared to just a few years ago. So, what’s new?

Amazon and Virgin CEOs Blast Off Into Space:

We’ll start big. Space tourism has been a long-held dream for many, and it looks like we’ve moved a little closer to it becoming a reality! In July, Virgin founder Richard Branson and Amazon chief Jeff Bezos made history by joining only a handful of non-astronauts to have taken a trip above the atmosphere. Branson’s Virgin Galactic project has been developed over the past 17 years, while Bezos’ Blue Origin was founded way back in 2000.

Both space flights launched from the US within days of each other, with Bezos’ flight taking just 11 minutes between launch and landing, and Branson’s around 90 minutes. While we’re still in the very early days of commercial space flight, what we do know is that both Virgin Galactic and Blue Origin travel 66 miles above the surface of the earth, and are expected to charge between $200,000 and $250,000 for the once-in-a-lifetime trip. So start saving now!

Apple’s Self-driving Car:

We may not be there just yet, but automated vehicles will likely transform how we get from A to B forever. And Apple are set to be at the heart of it.

It’s no secret that the guys behind the iPhone, iPod and MacBook have been developing the idea. They first started exploring the concept in 2014, hiring over 1000 car experts and engineers to design an electric car. In December last year, it was confirmed Apple are still very much working on it, and aim to release a vehicle in three to six years’ time.

What we do know is that Apple will work with a manufacturing partner to produce the cars. The plan is to make a car that allows the ‘driver’ to enter their destination and get there with barely any engagement. They’re also developing a new battery for the car that uses less space and has a much greater range. We can’t wait to see what they come up with.

Cloud-based Gaming:

If you’re a gamer, you probably miss that feeling of being able to buy a game and dive straight in without the lengthy install process. Some games these days can take as much as half a day to install! There is a solution though, and it’s online.

Cloud gaming means that once again, you can play right away. Instead of installing the game directly to your console or PC and using up tons of storage, games are run on a remote server and then streamed to your device as a video. And as connectivity improves, cloud gaming will get better. Faster internet will mean better games, better graphics and faster response times. What’s not to love?

It’s been around for a little while, with the likes of Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation Now and Google Stadia developing the concept. But it’s growing. Fast. In 2020, almost as many people signed up to a cloud gaming service as they did to Netflix. And speaking of Netflix, we’re hearing news that they’re looking to get into the cloud gaming realm too. Watch this space.

What about mobile phones?

Cheaper 5G Phones:

We’re still very much in the early days of 5G connectivity, but it’s amazing to see it already setting new standards.  It means faster downloads, faster loading times, consistent signal in high traffic areas. Even away from phones, 5G is changing the way we work, play and interact.

Now, no matter what your budget, you can treat yourself to 5G speeds. We’ve seen phones like the OPPO A54 and Samsung Galaxy A22 offer extreme speed and connectivity at a very affordable price, and we expect phones to double down on that trend. Soon, we’ll all be making HD calls, downloading 4K movies in seconds and gaming like pros on the go. The future is 5G!

Higher Refresh Rates:

We’ve mentioned refresh rates before – it means how frequently your phone screen flashes every second. The more frequent, the smoother everything looks. While most smartphones from just two years ago supported a refresh rate of around 60hz, now, we’re seeing screens that go up to 90hz, 120hz and even beyond.

Phones like the Samsung S21 range and Sony Xperia 5 can adjust all the way to a super smooth 120hz, and it’s looking like that feature is starting to arrive on more budget friendly phones, too. Mobile gaming is about to level up.

Competition Time:

We’ve shared what we think are the biggest tech developments over the past few months, and now we want to hear from you!

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 

Userlevel 1

I think with our cities getting congested there needs to be new ways of transportation. I think it would involve the air then using roads. I think there would be a different kind of hub. This involves drones and electric air-taxis. The UK government has funded a Urban Air Port. Also using green technology it would be powered completely off-grid by a hydrogen generator. I strongly believe there would be the establishment of air corridors linking the city centre with a airport or distribution centre. This probably combined with space transportation.

recently, in the showrooms with phones, I saw the latest Samsung galaxy Z fold 3 and samsung galaxy Z Flip 3 are amazing, the more that they have 5g. many of my friends already have a Samsung S21 in 5g which they are very happy with

Win win plz x

Userlevel 1

I am interested in, the new generation of folding phones. 

Me too interested and I  would like to win and see how new technology works

I believe technological advancements within transport and domestic battery storage have got me excited, mainly because giving these options to customers to reduce their carbon footprint and become trendsetters is powerful. Not only can customers get great bits of kit in their homes but also become near enough self reliant when it come to energy so for example having solar pv systems running their houses and battery systems storing this energy to use of an evening. And electric cars which can be charged at home without the need to use fuel to go and get more fuel. Although these thing are quite expensive at the moment I believe they will become more affordable and more attainable for the general public. That being said smartphones are still the most valuable piece of tech for me and as our lives/homes get smarter the more we will use smart phones as their abilities improve with ever developing software. 

Userlevel 2

What technological advancements or pieces of tech have you seen, heard about or purchased that’s got you excited? Let us know below for a chance to win the incredible OPPO Find X3 NEO.

Mobile phones with folding screens are the most recent technological advancements that have excited me lately. 

Userlevel 2

Automated drone deliveries.

To some this will be very old hat and dated and maybe not seen as relevant but the piece of technology that has been a godsend is Alexa show, with lockdown it was very hard to communicate with my elderly family members and a friend who has dementia , couldn't get them to start using smart phones etc but this bit if kit allows us to "drop in"and see each other without having to leave the house or touch anything. 

Not sure whether touchless touchscreen, 

or power through glass is the best?

I know it is not brand new tech but I am excited about buying an Apple watch 6 for my daughter - love the idea of the ECG and oxygen level functionality as she is an elite sportswoman

Userlevel 1

Hi I think the led light bulbs were a great step forward in technology that save you so much money outside floodlights going from 500w to 21w what a saving and the new technology of batteries is one to watch there are already 1.5v rechargeables out now so gadgets that don't like 1.2v can be used money saving again and good for the environment and solar panels is another with the price of energy going up and up and they are working on a technology that will generate electricity as you walk round your house some type of flooring I believe. What will the future bring we use to laugh as we watched night rider the car of the future but that car  is here now.

Userlevel 1

OrCam My Eye - this increased independence for the blind and visually impaired. means they can read books, newspapers, magazines, important paper work, and best of all recognize their loved ones, shop independently, and so much more!

My late father and my late mother-in-law were blind, and anything that makes life easier for those with vision loss is a winner for me! 

Budget120hz phones

Userlevel 1

Seeing the folding screen by Samsung recently caught my eye.

Userlevel 1

I saw someone build a circular device that had a hole in the centre, I think they said they where “wheels” or something. They had 4 of these wheels and attached them to the four corners of a sort of table, “cart” I think they called it. Not sure if it will catch on mind.

Personally for me it’s the quiet innovations in tech that are subtlety introduced, and you only notice when you realise you’re favourite has a new feature (Like Strava’s map overlays), or is more accurate and responsive (Google maps). Even banking apps that make going into a branch less and less likely. True innovation now, for me at least, is about refining the experience, so we have quiet evolution, not revolution. 

The tech river moves fast when you watch from the river bank, but if you’re in the river, you flow with it without even noticing how it changes.

Why iD Mobile?