Question

Canary Wharf Coverage?

• 6 February 2024
  • 17 replies

Hi, I work in Canary Wharf and over the last few weeks there’s been almost zero network coverage.  The network status says “We're working on improving the network in this area at the moment”, but when is the network going to be actaully usable?  I can understand issues in the countryside, but in the middle of London, what’s going on?  If this doesn’t improve soon I’ll be switching providers.

17 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Sounds like Three UK (the iD Mobile network partner) could be upgrading the backhaul network and cell tower(s) in your area, @nwpturner.

Three UK are doing this in many locations across the UK, in preparation for their 3G network switch-off, which is due for completion by end of 2024. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @nwpturner,

Welcome to the Community!

When would you say the issue started?

Have you tried switching to 4G or 5G to see if that improves things?

Kash

Has this issue been resolved? I have been having a similar issue and cannot receive or make any calls and have next to 0 data coverage throughout the day.

No, still terrible.  I’m planning to switch networks as there is no point paying to have no coverage at work.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Twinpeaks36 

Are you in this same area or another one?

Please could you let us know the postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @nwpturner 

When would you say the issue started?

Have you tried switching to 4G or 5G to see if that improves things?

Tom

Hi Tom,

the exact postcode for me where the issue persists is E14 5LB.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks Ande. I did get the same message but that shouldn’t mean 0 network coverage for the entire day. I can understand spotty coverage and we are used to that generally with any operator. I am wondering if the Three network users are prioritized over ID (being a MVNO)?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @andewhite. I did get the same message but that shouldn’t mean 0 network coverage for the entire day. I can understand spotty coverage and we are used to that generally with any operator. I am wondering if the Three network users are prioritized over ID (being a MVNO)?

Is this your work location, and are you indoors, @Twinpeaks36

The Three UK status checker is the same again today - the message appears to suggest Three UK could be working on their cell towers and backhaul network in this location, which would probably be part of their 3G network switch-off project. 

From 2025, Three UK plan to only maintain and operate 4G & 5G mobile networks in the UK. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Twinpeaks36 

The area of E14 5LB appears to be subject to an outage at the moment, Three UK are aware and working on a fix, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @Twinpeaks36 

The area of E14 5LB appears to be subject to an outage at the moment, Three UK are aware and working on a fix, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Tom

The current status message says networks improvements, @Tom - as a Three UK network partner, are iD Mobile privy to additional information, which says there’s a fault/outage instead?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

When I say outage, that refers more to anything that would cause a disruption, which in this case the mentioned network improvements include.

In this case we’ve just looked at the coverage checker which is all public information.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Thanks @Tom - do you mean looked at the coverage or the network status? 

Perhaps iD can confirm their online coverage page only ever shows a projection of the signal predicted at any given location - whereas, the online network status page shows if there’s anything affecting the network services at any given location? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

It’s both on the same page, in this case I did click “Status Checker”.

The coverage checker box has the following on it;

The status checker shows you the status of any given location, I’m not sure what more could be clarified about that.

Tom

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hi @andewhite 

It’s both on the same page, in this case I did click “Status Checker”.

The coverage checker box has the following on it;

The status checker shows you the status of any given location, I’m not sure what more could be clarified about that.

Tom

Thanks @Tom, just checking - coverage is a theoretical prediction of the network signal, whereas status is a real-world status report about the network?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andewhite 

Correct, the status posted would check the cell site that serves that postcode and see if there’s any reported issues at it.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?