Question

Cant make calls

Hi, my wife's and my phone are unable to make calls or receive calls. What is going on?

25 replies

Userlevel 1

I’m having the same issues. Trying to call out and no dial tone. Goes to dial assist. Try on WhatsApp then says no internet but on 4g with full bars 

Yes same problem since early this morning....dials but won't connect and people calling me get ring tone but my phone doesn't ring my end ....still getting texts though via network 

Anyone know what is going on with the ID Mobile network? Unable to make or receive calls. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @David Mayman,

Welcome to the Community!

Are you still having the issues?

If you could please let us know the error or issue you are having we can assist further.

Kash

Yes I am still unable to make or receive calls in my house. I have followed resetting networks. Shut phone down removed SIM card and still not working. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @David Mayman 

Okay, how are texts and data?

Do calls work when you’re elsewhere?

Please could you let us know the postcode(s) where you have issues with calls?

Tom

PE6 8QJ house number 30

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

PE6 8QJ house number 30

Three UK turned off their 3G mobile network in your area on 1st May, @David Mayman

Unless you’ve got a handset with 4G Calling (VoLTE) capability you won’t be able to make or receive calls. You may also need to restart your handset, or try a NETWORK RESET to ensure the new network configuration is detected.

I cannot make outgoing calls .  Can receive but cannot call out. 

GL1 3JS 

I have an iPhone 12 so enabled for 4g and have already done the network reset 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I have an iPhone 12 so enabled for 4g and have already done the network reset 

To make and receive calls in your house you might need to use the iD Mobile WiFi Calling service, @David Mayman

These forum articles may help in this situation.  

I can’t even make calls over WiFi! 

Userlevel 1

Yes same problem since early this morning....dials but won't connect and people calling me get ring tone but my phone doesn't ring my end ....still getting texts though via network 

This is exactly my experience. Dialling in from an outside phone, I hear ringing, but my phone on the iD mobile network doesn’t ring, so the ringing sound is misleading. Outgoing calls cannot be made, and I don’t hear a ringing sound, just silence. It’s somehow connected to VoLTE/4G calling not working with iD and my phone, despite Three listing it as compatible with 4G calling in the UK (but not abroad): https://devicesupport.three.co.uk/guides/

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@Aaagh,

Can you please check your network settings and select 4G to see if that works for you?

Kash

Hi, my wife's and my phone are unable to make calls or receive calls. What is going on?

Same ...2 weeks now...although if we travel out of the area we have managed to make calls...which rules out our devices being the problem.  ID mobile not suggesting/admitting this is an area problem on help chats

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Dawn Mann,

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account so we can discuss your issue further.

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’.

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview

We’ll see you there.

Kash

@Aaagh,

Can you please check your network settings and select 4G to see if that works for you?

Kash

This is a very basic remedy which,naturally,  I have already checked!

d

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Same ...2 weeks now...although if we travel out of the area we have managed to make calls...which rules out our devices being the problem.  ID mobile not suggesting/admitting this is an area problem on help chats

Are you in the Midlands area shown below, @Dawn Mann

Apparently, I have a 4G volte phone so this shouldnt be the problem!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Apparently, I have a 4G volte phone so this shouldn't be the problem!

Okay @Dawn Mann, has your 4G VoLTE handset been approved by iD for their network? 

Check online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/approved-handsets.

🤞

Its Xiaomi ..model not on list…but ID have been told the model and said this is not a problem.

also texts and data are running fine.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Its Xiaomi ..model not on list…but ID have been told the model and said this is not a problem.

Sounds somewhat ambiguous, @Dawn Mann.

If iD haven’t tested your handset how can iD say it is not a problem?

Anyway, it might be your voice & data settings need adjustments to ensure VoLTE works. Your handset user guide hopefully covers this area.

🤞

Userlevel 1

I am having exactly the same problem! Been on the live chat 4 times and no help!! 

Userlevel 1

SMS and data don’t use VoLTE so can continue to work fine.

This whole VoLTE/4G calling malarkey is so confusing. There is a Three article from 2019, 
https://3g.co.uk/news/three-4g-super-voice-everything-you-need-to-know
that states, for Android, only handsets bought from Three will work with VoLTE. This suggests the modem firmware needed to be customized. Now, in 2024, this is not the case because quite a few Android phones will work regardless of the operator they were purchased from. So what has changed? If it is just a text config file in /vendor or a setprop string that needs updating, that would be really annoying.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

SMS and data don’t use VoLTE so can continue to work fine.

This whole VoLTE/4G calling malarkey is so confusing. There is a Three article from 2019, 
https://3g.co.uk/news/three-4g-super-voice-everything-you-need-to-know
that states, for Android, only handsets bought from Three will work with VoLTE. This suggests the modem firmware needed to be customized. Now, in 2024, this is not the case because quite a few Android phones will work regardless of the operator they were purchased from. So what has changed? If it is just a text config file in /vendor or a setprop string that needs updating, that would be really annoying.

OFCOM stopped mobile network operators from selling network locked handsets in Dec 2021, so operator customised modem firmware probably ended.

Perhaps phones sold prior to this date might have issues with VoLTE, due to operator specific modem firmware.