Solved

Charged for texts I didn't send

• 11 October 2020
  • 5 replies

On my bill for October I have been charged for international texts. On review I have noticed that I haven’t sent these texts to the number that is in question and both texts were said to be a second apart from each other. Is it possible to shine some light on this and why or how exactly this has happened?

icon

Best answer by Will 16 October 2020, 15:13

View original

This topic has been closed for comments

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @phaddon61,

Any texts that are sent outside of the plan (or even inside of the plan) are recorded on the account as usage.

A text message is 160 characters long.

Most modern phones now, rather than cutting off a text after reaching the limit, will start a second message seamlessly (usually shown in the bottom right corner).

So any extra characters after start as SMS 2, then when 160-characters reached again, it’ll start a third.

Depending on the phone, but usually up to 3-5 times before converting to an MMS message.

All of the above text in my message is 540 characters. So if I text that, it’ll be 4 SMS messages that are used and send within milliseconds of each other.

Hope that clarifies one part of this.

In terms of the text message being sent, it’s possible someone used the device to send the text and then deleted or sent in error to a number.

Have you verified the device against the time-frames to check if it was sent? Or checked if you’ve archived the conversation? (usually found by clicking settings in the Messaging app).

Mohammed

Thank you for the reply but I am still slightly confused by it. I am the only one that uses the phone and on that day I didn’t text to anyone also the particular message is to a number I have never seen or messaged. It was only a charge of 60p but I just wanted to know as  after a quick search of the number it appears to be either an Australian or Easter Island number of which I would have no reason to be messaging. Just wanted to understand how this is possible? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Has that number messaged you @phaddon61?

Will

No, totally an unknown number

Peter

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @phaddon61,

We’ll drop you a Private Message now so we can investigate this for you at account level.

Will

Why iD Mobile?