ID Mobile's signal coverage is just terrible, & getting worse.

• 18 August 2023
  • 26 replies

Userlevel 2

Since switching to ID Mobile the signal coverage on my phone is just terrible, & it’s getting worse.

It doesn't matter where I am in the country ( inside or outside ), the signal on my phone is so weak, & if I am inside I can pretty much guarantee that the signal on my phone will be so weak that I won’t be able to use the internet, & sometimes it will be so weak that I won’t even be able to make calls, & this from a mobile network provider that claims to use the 3 network, & claims that their network covers 99% of the UK.

The only way I can get a slightly better signal with ID Mobile is when I turn my phone to 3G only ( manual not auto ), but again, not without the problems mentioned above, but even if I do this my signal can still be full one minute & dead the next, even when I haven't even moved anywhere.

Also, it seems that I’m not the only one with signal coverage issues when it comes to the ID Mobile network as masses of ID Mobile users are complaining about this issue, not only on this forum, but all over the web.

Also, mine & my girlfriends phones are identical as I bought them together, however, my girlfriends phone uses a different mobile network & she has excellent coverage everywhere, so you can’t tell me this is not down to ID Mobile’s signal coverage.

I'm now thinking of switching to my girlfriends mobile phone provider, as what’s the point of having a  phone if you can’t use it 50% of the time because bad signal coverage.

It’s great that ID Mobile is a cheep costing mobile network provider, but I suppose you get what you pay for, & I’d rather pay more & have a phone I can use, especially when I have serious health issues so might need to use my phone in an emergency. ☹️

26 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Hey @andywills8844, sorry to hear about these problems with signal reception. 

Did you choose a new handset contract + line rental when you switched to iD Mobile?
Have you put your iD SIM in your girlfriend’s handset, to check if it’s an issue with your handset? 
Have you tried your girlfriend’s SIM in your handset? 

Perhaps your handset has a faulty aerial. 

On mobile coverage, in the small print iD say they cover 99% of the UK population, which isn’t the same as covering 99% of the UK land area. 
Also, did you know that Three UK are turning off their 3G network, which is currently scheduled for completion end of 2024?

Userlevel 2

( 1 ). No I'm a Sim only customer.

( 2 ). No 

( 3 ). No

( 4 ). I honestly can't see it being a problem with my handset aerial if on the rare occasion l can get a full 4 bar signal, because if my aerial was a problem then surely l would never be able to get a full signal ever, & as I've already said, l am not the only one that has problems with ID Mobile's signal coverage as this forum & the Web in general is littered with complaints.

Anyway, I've now arranged to switch to a another network supplier that uses the Vodafone network which my girlfriends network supplier also uses, so hopefully this will sort things out as the Vodafone network has better signal coverage then Three.

I'll let you know the outcome of my switch. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

( 4 ). I honestly can't see it being a problem with my handset aerial if on the rare occasion l can get a full 4 bar signal, because if my aerial was a problem then surely l would never be able to get a full signal ever.

Okay thanks @andywills8844
Hope the aerial in your handset is okay, because in your ​​original post, you said: 

As each of the UK network operators use: different radio frequencies for their services, different cell tower locations, different power levels, etcetera, it’s not uncommon for one mobile network to have worse coverage than another, at any given location, and vice versa.    

Userlevel 2

In response to your  reply, l went to London the other day. Now London is ranked the 4th best place in the country for mobile phone signals. However, my signal was very weak outside, & when l went into a Costa Coffee my signal went completely, wth no Internet or nothing. However, when l got back to my home in Northfleet Kent l had a full 4 Bar signal, so at the end of the day this can only be down to ID mobiles terrible signal coverage. 😑

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @andywills8844
Hope your handset works great on the Vodafone network. 
🤞

Userlevel 2

Thanks mate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @andywills8844 

Could you let us know the full postcode of the area(s) you’ve had issues in?

We rely on Three UK for our coverage therefore signal would be exactly what they have, however if your girlfriend is on another network this would likely be completely different to our signal coverage.

Tom

Userlevel 2

The signal is poor & unreliable most everywhere, especially in buildings.

2 examples, l get no signal in the o2 arena or on trains, while my girlfriend who's got the same phone working on the Vodafone network, has no such problems. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@andywills8844,

I can see that we are carrying out some work on the mast near the O2 Arena which is why you are having the issue there.

Whilst on a train coverage may fluctuate as you will keep passing through areas with different coverage levels.

How’s your coverage at your home address?

Kash

Userlevel 2

Like l mentioned above, the signal is pretty in general ( mostly 2 bars or none at all ), where ever l am, but l do on the odd occasion get 3 or 4 bars, but it's rare, but it's unlikely to be my phone ariel because if that was the case l would never get 4 bars.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Like l mentioned above, the signal is pretty in general ( mostly 2 bars or none at all ), where ever l am, but l do on the odd occasion get 3 or 4 bars, but it's rare, but it's unlikely to be my phone ariel because if that was the case l would never get 4 bars.

Why not consider switching to Vodafone @andywills8844

You did say your girlfriend has exactly the same handset as yours, but the Vodafone SIM card in her phone works great everywhere. 

Userlevel 2

You should read the previous texts as ive already mentioned l was doing this but at the moment I'm still waiting on my new Sim to arrive, but I'll get back to your with the outcome once I've had a chance to test my new Sim & network out.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

You should read the previous texts as ive already mentioned l was doing this but at the moment I'm still waiting on my new Sim to arrive, but I'll get back to your with the outcome once I've had a chance to test my new Sim & network out.

Okay @andywills8844, good luck with service provider you’ve found that uses the Vodafone network, instead of using a Vodafone SIM card. 
🤞

Userlevel 2

My girlfriend is not with Vodafone, she's just with an operator that uses the Vodafone network, & I've also just applied to a operator that uses the Vodafone network, but not the same operator.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @andywills8844, ASDA mobile use Vodafone network, with added bonus of a telephone support helpline - you can talk to customer service staff if necessary.

Userlevel 2

As I've already mentioned above, I've already joined a new operator but I'm still waiting for my new Sim card to arrive but it should be arriving today ( if its not here already as l haven't had a chance to check my post yet as I'm round my girlfriend's house ).

As for Asda mobile, well their Sim only deals are terrible as they only give you 5GB of data for £7, where as the new operator that l have joined give you 30GB for £7:95, which is ideal for me as l used more than 5GB of data a month, but rarely more than £10GB.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay thanks @andywills8844 - hope you can tell the forum how things go with a talkmobile SIM in your handset.

A shame talkmobile no longer have inclusive roaming in EU destinations with their SIM only plans.

Userlevel 2

I'm not interested in roaming as l don't like flying, so l holiday in the UK.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Indeed, so many great places in the UK for a holiday. 
If sleeper trains became more popular, could they be an alternative to flying to Europe?

Userlevel 2

Just to update you on this issue, l have now switched to another provider that uses the Vodafone network & l have yet to go to a place where l haven't been able to get a signal. I've even just come back from cinema where l was still able to get a signal in the auditorium.

So I've now confirmed that the problems that I was having with iD mobile was down to their terrible signal coverage, & was nothing to do with my phone. So it seems that that old saying is true, you get what you pay for.

Also here in Leysdown. Isle of Sheppey ID signal is very very weak, will be changing soon

If you live around Manchester, Newcastle upon Tyne, London, Bristol and South Wales don't use ID.

The service is utterly rubbish, not had a data connection between the above that's reliable for months.

I think ID mobiles staff need to stop negging customers comments. 

The stuff about arials and bands in this chat is pure distraction techniques.

For clarity ID can you confirm which of quad bands you support and which handsets can't be used on your network.

Can you also clarify the pints around arials? It's spurious at best, do you your support guys know how smartphone uses bandwiths? How the arial works, they certainly aren't configured as omni direction as implied by IDs staff above.

ID spend more time stalking boards than fixing problems because they can't. They just buy bandwidth, no control over their network, services.

Do have control of customer services but appear to want to fight and blame anyone but the service provision that have bought and resell.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Jeff Rouse,

Welcome to the Community!

We are sorry to hear about the issues that you have been experiencing.

Coverage can vary per area and there are many factors that can impact this. It’s possible that 3UK is not as strong in your local area which could be why the coverage is affected.If it’s occurring everywhere you go, the issue points more likely to a handset or SIM fault.

Have you checked to see if there is any maintenance or unplanned outage in your local area as this could be causing an impact with the levels of coverage: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

If a new SIM has been tested and the SIM in another handset we can investigate further via PM.

Kash

Had problems with fraud. Now I have my number back the coverage is useless, I cannot even make outgoing calls sometimes. It’s very hit and miss. I’ve tried all the suggested fixes to no avail. I have a second sim from Vodafone and that works perfectly both connecting to the same mast. Has anyone got any suggestions on what to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Joolz 

As mentioned in a response to another post you've made, taking a look the area of DE13 8DZ has some generally patchy spots which could affect signal, as well as being subject to congestion, which Three UK are aware of, apologies for any inconvenience this causes.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?