intermittent ability to make & receive calls

Userlevel 1

Calling was fine yesterday, today cannot make or receive calls. The issue has been ongoing since starting my contract several weeks ago. I thought it was something to do with settings but after some online research, I’ve noticed that it is a common problem. Online chat with Lilitha earlier didn’t help and then when I followed her instructions it cut off 🤷🏽‍♀️ very poor customer service so far. I am looking into cancelling contract on the grounds that I am not receiving the service I’m paying for. 

15 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +4

Hi @B3loved1 

I’m sorry to hear this, please could you let us know the postcode where you’ve had issues?

Are you still having these issues?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi, still having issues. I’m in DE24. I’ve gone through the arduous task of contacting the customer (non) service and they tell me they have escalated it and I’ll have an update (not a resolution)  within 48 hours. Shocking. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tom 

I’ve tried a replacement sim, worked for just under 24hours. 
I’ve cleaned the sim and sim tray. 
I’ve checked with phone manufacturer. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @B3loved1,

Have you received an update as of yet?

You can try a replacement SIM card from your local Curry’s store to see if that improves things.

Kash

Userlevel 1

Already had a replacement sim from currys. It worked for less than 24 hours but going off again. My issue has been escalated to the ‘technical support team’ but who knows how long it will take. S**t show from start to be honest. Thus far my experience has not been positive 👎🏽

but thanks for the suggestion. 

Userlevel 1

Hi @Kash 

no update as of yet. 

Userlevel 3

Hey there @B3loved1, we’re very sorry to hear that. I see you’ve mentioned this was referred to our technical team to look into this further for you, so I hope that they’ve been able to help with this, or are at least looking into this further for you still.

Either way, if you’re in touch with our customer services and the technical team already, I’d recommend keeping in touch with that same team, and awaiting further updates from technical, if not already resolved.

Thank you,

Tyler

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tyler 

not heard a thing as yet 🤷🏽‍♀️ 

getting through to the customer (no) service is a long drawn out process and something I shouldn’t have to do frankly. They should be keeping me updated with progress reports. 

Userlevel 1

Hi, still having issues. I’m in DE24.

I can’t ring out (no ringing sound) and when I phone my iD mobile number from another phone, I hear ringing  on the other phone, but my mobile itself doesn’t ring and doesn’t even hint at there being an incoming connection. I’ve come on here to see why. I’m in the DE21 area. Data still seems to work. I’ve tried the SIM in another phone to rule out the problem being the mobile. I noticed this on the 6th May, but it could have been going on for longer as I am an infrequent user of voice.

Userlevel 1

Hi, still having issues. I’m in DE24.

I can’t ring out (no ringing sound) and when I phone my iD mobile number from another phone, I hear ringing  on the other phone, but my mobile itself doesn’t ring and doesn’t even hint at there being an incoming connection. I’ve come on here to see why. I’m in the DE21 area. Data still seems to work. I’ve tried the SIM in another phone to rule out the problem being the mobile. I noticed this on the 6th May, but it could have been going on for longer as I am an infrequent user of voice.

Right, this is what I’ve discovered. I thought I had a fully 4G phone, but maybe I don’t. The 3G network has begun to be switched off from the start of May in our area and across the Midlands (see Three’s engineering announcement). We received an email from iD a while back telling us to make sure our phones are VoLTE capable (Voice over LTE) and that it is activated in order to carry on making calls. On my phone the their is no VoLTE option, but there is an option “4G calling (use data to improve voice calls)” which I surmise is the same thing. The thing is the “4G calling” is not working. In my case, I think this is because I have a LineageOS operating system image rather than the manufacturer’s. I’ve tried my SIM in a 5G phone, and I had no problem making a call. I’ve read that (in the US) sometimes a VoLTE capable phone won’t do VoLTE on a network because it wasn’t purchased from that network provider, which comes with modded software, so there is the potential for trickery or incompatibility. Looks like a new phone might be called for in my case!

Userlevel 1

Here’s a link to a iD community thread with the 3G switch-off map in it:

Here’s the VoLTE FAQ, which doesn’t mention my phone as supported, despite my phone telling me its About menu that I have 4G for voice and 4G for data.

Cryptically, the FAQ states that the phone’s modem firmware needs to be supported, and that iD is working to add support for more handsets. Does this mean iD Mobile is having to do this work itself, independently of Three? And is there a wider range of supported phones on other networks, or even on the main Three network itself?

Userlevel 1

Hi @Aaagh 

mine is a new phone bought as part of the plan with ID, so if it’s a dud that’s down to them. 
no customer should have to rely solely on  community support hub to get issues resolved. Where is the customer service? 

Userlevel 1

@Kash @Tyler @Tom @Aaagh Well I’ve checked and my phone is compatible with ID network after the switch off. 
The intermittent issue of being unable to make or receive calls continues and no one from ID Mobile has been in touch with me. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +4

Hi @B3loved1 

Above you’ve mentioned you’ve been in touch with the team about this, have you been back in contact with them?

Tom

Userlevel 1

Hi @Tom 

I eventually went through to socialqueries@idmobile.

I’ve given them my details and details of the fault, fingers crossed they can assist. 

I also got through, without being disconnected, to the live chat. They said it’s a fault that is affecting others and their tech team are working on it. 
Obviously the social queries team don’t know that, or they’re just telling me anything they like. We shall see. 

Why iD Mobile?