Question

Massive Spike in data usage

I have had my ID sim for a good while now in a 10gb monthly plan. Prior to this month I have rarely got above 5gb of usage and therefor have a minimum of 5gb rolling over each month. 

This month however I have suddenly run out of data halfway through the month. A total of 15gb with my usage being no different to the previous months. I do not stream nor download on my phone. 

I am hesitant to 'top up' with a data add on because of what I regard as prohibitive pricing and terrible value. But also because if I have used the volume of data claimed already then it is likely that a 1gb top up @ £7 would disappear within a day!

Is anyone else suffering similar issues with a Spike in data usage?  The data usage on my phone shows only the current month and therefore being the 2nd of the month, only shows the previous 2 days usage rather than the last month. My phone is primarily used for browsing on chrome and Facebook messenger. 

2 replies

Well, I guess I'll post my own solution. I've upgraded my plan (£18 for 30gb) in order to have data for the rest of the month rather than pay through the nose for a data add on that's terrible value. I then intend to cancel my plan altogether and obtain a SMARTY SIM that offers 30GB for £10 a month. Funnily enough also uses the Three network in the same way that ID does.  Offering far better value in all respects. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @Dfitz24 

We’re terribly sorry we didn’t catch this one sooner.

Could you let us know what phone you’re using with the iD Mobile SIM?  We’ll then let you know how you yourself can see statistics of what apps are using the most data.

iD Mobile would only ever be charging you for data that is being used by your phone.  So either a setting change or perhaps a background app without your knowledge is eating more data than you are expecting.

Why iD Mobile?