setting a pin or password to protect against Sim card swap attack

• 19 February 2024
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1

I cannot get past auto telephone bot so I’ve posted this question because I cannot find an answer on the web site.

Protect yourself from a SIM card swap attack

• Set up a PIN or password on your cellular account. This could help protect your account from unauthorized changes. Check your provider’s website for information on how to do this.

16 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Just type “talk to a person” (several times), to avoid the 24/7 chat-bot and speak to an adviser, @Daves.  

Userlevel 1

I’ve also done that but I got an advise link which recommended exactly the same and I still don’t know how to set it up. I don’t know as well if the pin I use to talk to someone at ID i# exactly that. If so I dont have to do any more

Userlevel 1

Thanks Rookie

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Daves 

I’m not quite sure what you’re referring to in this case, SIM card PINs are typically “0000” or “1234”.

Your iD Mobile app/website account will have a password on it you’ve set up upon registering, if you haven’t registered, it’ll be worth doing so.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I’m sorry your answer doesn’t help on this occasion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Daves 

I’m sorry to hear that, please give us more information pertaining to the question itself so we can assist.

Tom

Userlevel 1

Tom this is what I am trying to do because of this threat. If the pin you provided for telephoning your staff is enough then fine if not how do I set this up?  Your website doesn’t cover this as far as I can ascertain. Thought this would be a known issue by idmobile but it’s proving to have taken a lot of my time and having spent an hour the other day on chat it seems quite difficult or impossible to find a solution.

Protect yourself from a SIM card swap attack

• Set up a PIN or password on your cellular account. This could help protect your account from unauthorized changes. Check your provider’s website for information on how to do this
Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Daves 

Where have you got the above information about setting up a PIN or password on your cellular account?

A customer services PIN is given by default when purchasing from us, when registering to an iD Mobile app/website account you’ll have to set a password yourself.

Tom

Userlevel 1

I still don’t quite understand. The information came from Malwarebytes monthly newsletter. When I got that I wrote to idmobile and whilst the guy was very helpful he gave me a link to a site which just stated exactly the same as the message above. So I gave up with idmobile and thought I would try the forum as I thought I might get someone who knew about the issue to tell me how to set it up.

i do have a customer service pin on my idmobile account and I want to know if this is what the recommendation is on Malwarebytes instruction or do I have to do something else to prevent against this fraud method?

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Perhaps the Malwarebytes forum would be a better place to ask about the issue, @Daves

Do Malwarebytes explain exactly what SIM swap means? 

The fact they’ve used the word “cellular” could suggest the target audience is North American (US & Canada), in which case SIM swap might have a different context/meaning.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

If you want to enable the SIM PIN then on iOS all you need to do is the following:

Settings > Mobile Services > SIM PIN > Enable > Enter default SIM pin.

On Android, the process varies depending on the Manufacturer.

But this is not what you’re asking. What you’re discussing in your original post is the ability to set a PIN on your iD Mobile account preventing anyone from ordering a replacement SIM without first entering or confirming the PIN. This is not possible with iD Mobile.

Userlevel 1

Thanks welshPaul I’ve just tried as you suggest to lock the pin in settings using my service pin and I tried it twice and as I’ve only one more attempt left I’ve not tried again. Any suggestions?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

STOP!!! Your service PIN is not a SIM PIN!

I can’t remember what the default SIM PIN is for iD Mobile as it’s been a long time since I changed mine. It was either 0000 or 1234. I forget which.

Before you try again, you need to request a PUK code from customer services. If you enter a SIM PIN incorrectly 3 times, the SIM gets blocked, and you need to enter the PUK code to unblock it, and then you can reset the SIM PIN to one of your choosing. A PUK code is unique to each SIM, so only iD Mobile can provide you with it. Enter an invalid PUK code 10 times and the SIM is permanently blocked and will have to be replaced.

Userlevel 1

Thanks will do.

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Make sure they give you a PUK code, the agent might get confused. A PUK is 8 digits in length. e.g. 12345678

FYI - When I asked for one a few years ago, the PUK code they gave me never worked and the SIM got blocked so be careful.

Userlevel 1

Thanks most helpful 

Why iD Mobile?