Question

sim not working following an upgrade

• 21 November 2020
  • 9 replies

I upgraded my contract yesterday and received my new iphone 11 today. Was told when I ordered that I should just use the same sim, however it doesn’t work in the new phone. I’ve tried activating the new one I was sent but it just tells me that it has already been activated. How do I get my sim to work?

This topic has been closed for comments

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Sim is activated, try to search network manually.

Restart mobile.

Select preferred network 3G/ 4G as per sim.

Go to settings /mobile network / preferred network.

Thanks for the suggestion, doesn’t seem to have worked, it’s not connecting to any of the possible networks

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello @joel161,

Can you clarify if the new SIM that was sent with the phone is working? 

Did you still need help with this?

Mohammed

All good now thanks :)

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

HI @joel161 

We are pleased all is good, thank you for the update.

So, what was the solution? I have the same problem.

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @stephenelea,

If you can you give us some details as to what’s gone on, and we’ll be sure to find a fix for you.

Have you received a new SIM card that isn’t working, or has your old one stopped working and you haven’t received a new SIM?

Will

I upgraded my contract for additional data. Whilst waiting for the new sim to arrive I noticed that the data limits on my account were increased on the old sim to match the new contract, and of course the charge to the account was upgraded accordingly. When the new sim arrived I put it in the phone and went to the app to activate it. I entered the sim card number and it told me that it was already activated. But there was no signal or data connection on the phone.  Clearly the new sim wasn’t activated?  I waited and waited. In the end I put the old sim back in as well (Dual sim phone) and set that to voice and data and that works well. What’s the point of sending me a new sim if I don’t need it? Why was it activated already? Why didn’t it work? If I didn’t need it why didn’t they tell me? If I did need it then why doesn’t it work and why does the old sim still work?

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @stephenelea,

Glad to hear you’ve found a solution to your problem. To answer your questions:

With 5G being rolled out, we send out new SIMs with SIM only upgrades to make sure our customers are using up to date cards.

It doesn’t sound as though it was activated already, as you advised it didn’t work.

I believe it may not have worked, as it wasn’t activated yet. This theory is further supported by the fact you’ve advised your old SIM card is still working.

If you’re happy using your old one, that’s fine. But if you would like us to activate the new one for you here, just let us know and we’ll be happy to assist.

Will

Why iD Mobile?