Question

unable to send message to short code

Since about a year ago I can no longer send text messages to short codes. Plenty in the bill cap to enable it- nothing is switched on to prevent this yet when I send a text I get the following message back from Id 

Calls or texts to short codes are chargeable and are not included in your standard allowance or Add-ons. See our call charges page: https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges

why isn’t this working properly? 

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hey @Arwyn,

Is Premium SMS enabled in the app/account?

Is it just one number or all short codes?

Can you include a few short codes you’re having issues with?

Do these shortcodes charge you to your bill e.g. £5.00?

Mohammed

As far as I know it’s just the one so far 79100 yes charges £5 worked fine before august last year now never works on any ID mobile number. Premium sms enabled yes as is all elements you’d expect needed I’ve also tried turning these off and on again. Makes no difference. Clearly from all the other millions of posts it’s an ID mobile issue that’s not being resolved properly only individually when complaining 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Short codes are managed jointly by the mobile operators through the SCMG (Shortcode Management Group), with numbers allocated from OFCOM number ranges.

There’s more about the management of short codes at https://www.short-codes.com, where it says:

I guess this means that you can’t guarantee all shortcode numbers work all the time on all UK mobile networks. 

Were you an iD customer the last time you used 79100 @Arwyn?

Last time I used it yes and exact same number dialling from and too- it’s 100% an id mobile issue as I get a text from you as above when I send the message. 

works fine for other networks, all except ID mobile 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Okay @Arwyn, I’m just a forum member like you. 
The SCMG say you can’t guarantee sending to a short code number will always work.
Perhaps the commercial terms between iD and the SCMG changed, meaning iD decided to stop offering 79100 for commercial reasons.

Checking online at https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/call-charges, says 79100 cost 15p, but you say it costs £5 - seems there’s something amiss.

I hope iD answer these questions, but the iD staff who reply to posts here, advise this forum is not a live chat environment - getting an answer could take some time.

Yeah pretty frustrating that you have to use a forum to get answers from ID. All great ID until there is an issue 

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah, iD Mobile is great when everything works, but can be super frustrating if something needs fixing. 

I suppose while the business can keep increasing the number of customers on a 24-month handset contract, then maybe everything else has a much lower priority.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Arwyn 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Also having the same issue with 79100 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @AaronPrictor,

Welcome to the Community!

Do you have a £0 cap on the account?

If so you’ll need to increase it so that you can be charged.

Just to confirm it’s not a bill pay method where you use request to add the fee or membership to your iD Mobile bill as we can only charge for the text not for it to be paid via your iD Mobile bill.

Kash

Userlevel 1

I'm also having the same issue, please advise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @DavidSS 

What shortcode are you having issues with?

Have you been able to use it at any stage while on iD Mobile?

Is your bill cap high enough to support the cost?

Tom

Userlevel 1

First time using with ID mobile, used previously when on EE

Bill cap is set to £10, cost is only £5

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @DavidSS 

We’ll shortly send you a Private Message to your Community account, so we can discuss your issue further. 

To access your messages, click your profile picture in the top right hand corner and then click ‘Private Messages’. 

Alternatively, if you are currently logged in, you can use the following link: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/inbox/overview  

We’ll see you there. 

Tom

Userlevel 1

Having the same problem with messaging a 79100 number. Premium messaging set to on, adult content filter is off, cap is set at £30, 79100 is listed in the allowed numbers for messaging for three. Message should cost £5 and a code returned. Outcome of sending this text is a charge at 15p, a message from ID saying this is a premium message and not included with allowance and no code received. 

I've seen over several community posts that the same generic answers are given to troubleshoot but there seems to be no definitive answer on this. 

Can anybody help at all please? 

Userlevel 1

After weeks of back and forth they have finally confirmed that the shortcode 79100 does not work on their network. 

Userlevel 1

That's great, thanks for letting me know. I don't know why they don't just update the forums so that the question isn't asked over and over again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Hi @Adrian Purewal & @DavidSS 

Sorry about the time this took @DavidSS, indeed this was the conclusion, 79100 does not work on our service.

We will use this information to better advise in future.

Tom

Why iD Mobile?