Question

VoLTE Roaming

• 31 December 2023
  • 18 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi, i was just wondering if iD Mobile supported VoLTE whilst roaming. Most, if not all, other networks support this now as it’s needed with the 3G switch off in other countries. I’m going to France in January and would like to know if it will work there or not. USA in June too and will 100% need it then too as they have successfully switched off their 3G services.

i know VoLTE works in the UK as i use it day in day out. My phone is supported on VoLTE roaming by all other carriers (iPhone 15).

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @Bubblesthefish,

Welcome to the Community!

We can’t guarantee VoLTE abroad as it would be dependent on our network partners abroad and the coverage at that specific location.

Kash

Userlevel 2

Hi @Bubblesthefish,

We can’t guarantee VoLTE abroad as it would be dependent on our network partners abroad and the coverage at that specific location.

Kash

That’s not how VoLTE roaming works. It has to be supported by the main network (in this case ID)

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Maybe not relevant here, but companies like Three UK and Vodafone UK seem to suggest it’s the handset device, which needs to support VoLTE Roaming (4G calling abroad). 

The iPhone 15 appears to have this capability.

Userlevel 2

Maybe not relevant here, but companies like Three UK and Vodafone UK seem to suggest it’s the handset device, which needs to support VoLTE Roaming (4G calling abroad). 

The iPhone 15 appears to have this capability.

Agreed, but the network also needs to support it. For example, Vodafone give a list of countries supported.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Would it be reasonable to assume, in any given country without a 3G network (i.e. switched OFF), a VoLTE service would be available with any 4G and 5G network? 

Outside of the USA, even without 3G, isn't 2G usually available for calls & SMS?

Userlevel 2

Would it be reasonable to assume, in any given country without a 3G network (i.e. switched OFF), a VoLTE service would be available with any 4G and 5G network? 

Outside of the USA, even without 3G, isn't 2G usually available for calls & SMS?

Yeah 2G is available where 3G isn’t and i think this does also still apply to T-Mobile in the USA but 2G does make for a pretty dismal experience… I know it isn’t really about the experience whilst roaming (moreover that it actually works full stop) but it’s just not great. 
Moved to iD from Smarty for 30GB roaming (smarty supported VoLTE roaming) but iD don’t seem to have any pages about VoLTE roaming.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

iD Mobile do seem to be a no-frills operator, so perhaps the best you can hope for, regarding using VoLTE roaming, is the following forum page:

Maybe being able to use 5G while roaming implies VoLTE while roaming works? 
A VoLTE service should work with 4G and 5G networks.

Userlevel 3

iD Mobile do seem to be a no-frills operator, so perhaps the best you can hope for, regarding using VoLTE roaming, is the following forum page:

Hi,

Being able to connect to 5G doesn’t automatically mean VoLTE while roaming works. For example, no UK network has VoLTE roaming in France, but most still can connect to a French 5G Mast.

I am solely  presuming that if SMARTY and Three mention that they support VoLTE abroad, then iD must also do in some countries. It seems that only Vodafone business  has a list of supported VoLTE destinations, but those lists are always a hit or miss as the iD list for 5G roaming is also missing some countries, for example Bulgaria.

Thanks,

tgets0v.

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Being able to connect to 5G doesn’t automatically mean VoLTE while roaming works. For example, no UK network has VoLTE roaming in France, but most still can connect to a French 5G Mast.

I am solely  presuming that if SMARTY and Three mention that they support VoLTE abroad, then iD must also do in some countries. It seems that only Vodafone business  has a list of supported VoLTE destinations, but those lists are always a hit or miss as the iD list for 5G roaming is also missing some countries, for example Bulgaria.

Thanks,

tgets0v.

Thankyou. VoLTE did not work in France but 5G did, and the list iD have for network partners is outdated.

i could connect to: 

Orange F 4G

SFR 5G

Free 5G

Bouygues 5G (this was the best (fastest and most concistent)

Userlevel 3

Hi,

Thanks,

tgets0v.

Thankyou. VoLTE did not work in France but 5G did, and the list iD have for network partners is outdated.

i could connect to: 

Orange F 4G

SFR 5G

Free 5G

Thanks! I actually appreciate that list considering that I am due to be travelling around Europe (Including France) in a week or so! If you noted down any other networks around Germany and Austria, feel free to drop them here. Thanks.

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Thanks,

tgets0v.

i could connect to: 

Orange F 4G

SFR 5G

Free 5G

Thanks! I actually appreciate that list considering that I am due to be travelling around Europe (Including France) in a week or so! If you noted down any other networks around Germany and Austria, feel free to drop them here. Thanks.

Hi, sorry the only other insight i can give is Spain. 
Movistar 4G

YOIGO 4G

Orange SP 4G.

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Thanks,

tgets0v.

i could connect to: 

Orange F 4G

SFR 5G

Free 5G

Movistar 4G

YOIGO 4G

Orange SP 4G.

Edit:: i lied; Germany has 5G from Telekom.de.

Userlevel 3

Hi,

Thanks,

tgets0v.

i could connect to: 

Orange F 4G

SFR 5G

Free 5G

Movistar 4G

YOIGO 4G

Orange SP 4G.

That’s also very useful for me, thanks! I hope a detailed VoLTE list gets uploaded here soon, considering most networks EU-Wide have uploaded theirs. Telekom Deutschland is the most detailed Roaming list i’ve seen in a while.

Userlevel 1

Id not connecting to Telekom anymore?! Any idea why is it??? I can connect only to o2 and vodafone and its only 4g network, when other sim can get 5g in same place!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @John01,

Have you tried in multiple locations?

Is the other SIM card that you are referring to an iD Mobile SIM?

Kash

Userlevel 1

Other sim card is from other provider. I have tryed in multiple locations and no 5g at all with ID. Last year I could get 5G with Telecom.de

Userlevel 3

Hi, i was just wondering if iD Mobile supported VoLTE whilst roaming. Most, if not all, other networks support this now as it’s needed with the 3G switch off in other countries. I’m going to France in January and would like to know if it will work there or not. USA in June too and will 100% need it then too as they have successfully switched off their 3G services.

i know VoLTE works in the UK as i use it day in day out. My phone is supported on VoLTE roaming by all other carriers (iPhone 15).

Hi!

I just came back from a big EU roadtrip, with testing VoLTE compatibility along the road. After tests in: France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Austria, I noticed a pattern where the only country with VoLTE Roam support was Austria on the 3 AT network. Which leads me to presume that VoLTE is available on ‘certain partner networks’ where those partner networks are other Hutchison 3G brands such as Drei Austria, 3 Sweden and more. VoLTE Roam is also supported on the US’s roaming partners for 3 due to the fact 3G was shut down there the first. Whilst in Germany where all networks are 2G/4G/5G only, during calls I did not stay on 4G but I dropped down to EDGE/GPRS meaning data access was unavailable during phone calls. In France, Belgium and Luxembourg, I dropped down to 3G during calls. In Austria, if you connect to A1 or any non-Drei network, you will not get VoLTE capabilities while on the network.

Userlevel 3

Other sim card is from other provider. I have tryed in multiple locations and no 5g at all with ID. Last year I could get 5G with Telecom.de

Yes, the current partners for Germany are o2-de on 4G with no VoLTE and vodafone.de on 4G with no VoLTE. But stay tuned, roaming lists update all the time!

Why iD Mobile?