Question

Wifi calling not working Samsung A50

• 26 November 2020
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1

When attempting to make a call etc the phone behaves as though its not connected, asks me to connect via the mobile network or Wifi. The problem being that the phone IS connected via wifi, indedd all other internet functionality (mail, web, yadda yadda) works perfectly, wifi calling is the only thing that doesnt work.

My ISP is BT FTTP, I have seen on internet some other wifi calling users had similar problems, but a workaround seemed to be to downgrade mobile network selection for auto 2g/3g/4g to just 2g/3g .. implies there is some bug somehere with VOLTE (afail wifi calling is implemented in a very similar manner to volte, just uses wifi rather than mobile data for the underlying data service) ,, but whatever .. I tried this and it didnt fix it for me

Yes, the A50 supports wifi calling and the feature is enabled in phone settings. BT claim thier FTTP servies and wifi hub supports it. I have tried turning the phone off and on again 27 times yadda yadda. Inside the house I have strong wifi signal, running OOKLA on the phone I get around 50 mbps DL, 10 mbps UL, 18mS ping which should be more than good enough

I really need wifi calling as there is no mobile coberage where I live, so any suggestions / help most appreciated, thanks !

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Tubenutdave,

Is this a new issue? Has the phone previously been able to do it?

Will

Userlevel 1

Hi & thanks for your follow up ..

No, Despite taht I really need wifi calling since there is no coverage around the hous I bought the start of the year, I havent yet ever had it working due to multiple known trechical reasons, eg my previous ISP (plusnet) are known to not support it, same smae my previous phone didnt support it, but I now changed ISP to BT fibre who claim it is supported, and also bought the new phone dispite in all other respects being happy with my old one, speciifcally because this one (as smasung A50) supports wifi calling. So on paper it *should* work. what can I tell you, it doesntso far ;-)

In an ideal world I will take my handset to a friends hous that has wifi calling working which should confirm that the handset is working, and conversely they can try thier handsets in my gouse should confirm if my ID mobile backhaled wifi is supporting it OK .. but, you know … lockdown etc … so unclear when I will be able to do that

Any suggestions what else to try most appreciated, many thanks ! BR / D

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Tubenutdave 

Did you manage to attempt the WIFI calling test at a friend's or family member's house? We can confirm the Samsung A50 does support WIFI calling. Please ensure your phone software is up to date. Please let us know if you have any issues.

-Mohsin 

Userlevel 1

Hi & thanks for getting back to me.  The phone SW is totally up to date but wifi calling still isnt working. Due to Covid restrictions I havent had an opportunity to try my phone somewhere else/ another phone here but thats clearly the next step to localise the issue, I will do it at the earliest opportunity I get !. Thanks again

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Let us know how you get on there @Tubenutdave, if it’s working elsewhere on other networks, then it would definitely indicate it’s an issue with a setting with your router or isp.

Did you previously have the A50 from another network, on contract?  If so, there’s a small chance the WiFi calling feature is only working when used with SIM’s from that network in question.  We’ve seen cases were other networks have flashed the firmware of phones they’ve sold to make certain things network exclusive.

Userlevel 1

Many thanks @Kevin ! .. your insight was most useful ! . I bought th phone as an unlocked refurb, with no mention of any operator customisation and no sign of any. … however after reading yor post above I had a loooooonnnnng discussion with smasung technical support  and we dug deeply into the IMEIs and firmware versions etc and it transpires this handset was originally supplied with vodafone firmware *which it still has*. So in the context of your information the hypothesis is now that this is root of the problem. In principle the obvious way to proceed would be to reflash it back to the standard amsung firmware, but as you know there is an increasing trend in the consumer electronics industry to vendors to build in SW obsticles preventing consumers changing firmware in ways that dont suit thier marketting, indeed may *BRICK* the device if you try, so I asked the samsung tech support guy very carefully about this, was it safe to reflash it like this and/or would samsung reflash it for me .. sad to say they arent very helpful about that, no guarantee or even guidance it reflashing would work and recommend consumers buy phones directly “from samsung” (?!), kind of rediculious given that almost all phones are bought through the many retail suppliers, please tell me where the closest “samsung” shop is, LOL. Anyway we now maybe understand the problem and I have contacted the retailer who sold it to me, see if they will reflash it or exchange that has the generic firmward not butchered by vodafone / refund it so I can buy one elsewhere …. Im guessing they wont be happy with any of those options and will try to wriggle out so that road may itself be rocky but .. thats where things are now !. Thanks again for the tip off about operator modified firmware !

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Tubenutdave 

Good job on looking into this on your end. Feel free to message us for any issues you may have.

-Mohsin

Userlevel 6
Badge +8

Hi @Tubenutdave,

Although frustrating, that actually all makes perfect sense, and I’ve heard of this type of firmware affecting WiFi calling before.

Thank you for taking the time to post your update, it helps the community greatly.

Will

Userlevel 1

Further update and SUCCESS

I just got the phone back after having it reflashed with the generic (unbranded) version of the firmware (which is available from samsungs website along with the sw tool needed to do it, ODIN) .. and wifi calling over ID now works fine !

ie confirmation the problem was the (in my case) vodafone customised firmware (denoted VOD in the CSC field of the sw version, look in the “about phone” section of settings. From things I have seen elsewhere on the web it seems possible that firmware branded for other operators may also cause problems : read that backwards if you are having problems, and your device has operator customised firmware .. that could be the explanation

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Thanks for the update there @Tubenutdave 

Your experience and the update there could very well be the golden ticket for any others who find themselves in a similar boat.

Why iD Mobile?