Skip to main content
Solved

Cost of images via RCS

• 27 June 2024
  • 7 replies

Sending an image via SMS incurs an extra charge, but what about sending the image via RCS? 

7 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +10

The cost of using RCS comes out of the data allowance of your iD plan, @derrickw

RCS requires a network connection, by using a Wi-Fi network, or the iD mobile data network. There’s no extra charge for the image as such. 

FYI, the iD Mobile MMS can’t send any images larger than ~384KB. 

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @derrickw,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope that @andewhite has answered your query.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Userlevel 1
Badge

The cost of using RCS comes out of the data allowance of your iD plan, @derrickw

RCS requires a network connection, by using a Wi-Fi network, or the iD mobile data network. There’s no extra charge for the image as such. 

FYI, the iD Mobile MMS can’t send any images larger than ~384KB. 

That is false, Ive just used google messages  RCS and have been charged 55p for an MMS message!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi @derrickw,

Welcome to the Community!

I hope that @andewhite has answered your query.

If you require further assistance, please let us know.

Kash

Youre wrong that was not the correct answer

Also why is the default charge cap is £75 if was 0 my message wouldnt have gone and I would have use WhatsApp.

Ive set the cap to £0, so I won't get caught out again!

I do not trust ID RCS messages now.

Regards

Ken

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Kenw 

The above is in-fact correct, if you were charged 55p for an RCS MMS message, it was not an RCS message, that’s what we charge for MMS over our texting network.

RCS would go outside of our own SMS system (Similar to that of iMessage, WhatsApp, Messenger etc).

Tom

Userlevel 1
Badge

No your  reply is  not accepted.

My reply is why did I have GB£75 cap , if it had been £0 the message should not have gone!  

iD set the CAP do they are at fault! And always be as far I'm concerned.

This another example of ID not being truthful, the other is not telling customers that when connected to a WiFi network the mobile data is limited. This is per Ofcom coverage checker contrary to ID/3 checker

Regards

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Kenw,

Thanks for getting back to us.

If you didn’t select a cap when purchasing your cap would go to the highest amount of £75.

Please let us know if you would like us to check your cap and when it changed.

Kash