Blog

How to switch your old data to your new iPhone

• 9 April 2019
  • 3 replies
How to switch your old data to your new iPhone
Userlevel 8
Badge
If you’ve got new iPhone congrats. It’s an amazing piece of tech. But before you ditch your old phone for good, there are a few things you should do.

First things first, set up your iCloud account

If you already have an iCloud account (also known as Apple ID) then good for you - ignore this step. But if you don’t, set one up now – then you can do all sorts of things like downloading apps from the App Store. Here’s what you need to do:

1. Go into Settings.
2. Tap Don’t have an Apple ID or forgot it?
3. Tap Create Apple ID
4. Enter your birth date, tap Next.
5. Enter your first and last name, tap Next.
6. Select your current email address, or get a new iCloud email address.
7. Enter your email address.
8. Create a password, then verify it.
9. Select a security question, type in the answer (repeat this stage twice).
10. Agree to the Terms and Conditions.
11. Choose Merge if you want to sync iCloud data from Safari, reminders, contacts and calendars.
12. Tap OK to confirm the ‘Find My iPhone’ feature is on.

Should I backup my old phone?

You should now backup your old phone, just to make sure everything’s as up-to-date as possible, so you can then transfer it to your new iPhone.

Here’s how to do a backup for iPhone and Android:

How to back up your iPhone

You’ll be backing up your stuff to iCloud (which is why we told you to set up an account earlier). Let’s go:

1. Go to Settings on your old iPhone.
2. Tap the Apple ID banner.
3. Tap iCloud.
4. Tap iCloud Backup.
5. Tap Back Up Now.

When your backup’s finished, turn off your old iPhone, and pop the SIM card out if you’re going to stick it in your new iPhone.

Top tip: If you’re going to trade-in or sell your old phone, don’t forget to do a factory reset on it.

How to back up your Android phone

1. Go to Settings on your old Android.
2. Choose the option saying Accounts and Sync or something similar (it varies by model).
3. Enter your Gmail account details.
4. Enable synchronisation. Your phone contacts and Google Contacts will synchronise. You can now put down your Android, and pick up your new iPhone.
5. Go into Settings.
6. Tap Accounts & Passwords.
7. Add your Gmail account and make sure Contacts are enabled. You should now find all your Google contacts are in your new iPhone. Easy, wasn’t it?

How do I transfer data to my new phone?

Okay, now comes the fun part. It’s time to transfer from your old phone to your new iPhone. There are, of course, different way of doing this depending on the phone you’ve got…

How to transfer data from an old iPhone to a new iPhone

1. Insert your old SIM card into your new iPhone if you’re using it.
2. Turn on your new iPhone.
3. Slide up or press the Home button (depending on your iPhone model).
4. Choose your language and set up your Wi-Fi network.
5. Tap Restore from iCloud backup.
6. Sign in to your iCloud account.
7. Tap Next, Agree, Agree in quick succession.
8. Now choose the backup you made on your old iPhone.
Your data will now get transferred to your new iPhone. This might take a while, especially if you’ve got lots of music, videos and apps to transfer across – so we recommend you stay on Wi-Fi while this is happening.

How to transfer data from an Android phone to a new iPhone

If you’ve got an Android phone, you can transfer data to your new iPhone with the help of a handy app.

1. Head to the Google Play Store, and download the Move to iOS app onto your Android phone.
2. Agree to the Terms and Conditions and make your way to the screen that reads ‘Find Your Code’.
3. Pop your SIM card into your new iPhone.
4. Choose your language, and you’ll soon arrive at a screen called ‘Apps and Data’.
5. Select Move Data from Android.
6. When it’s finished, enter your Apple ID.

The only thing that Move to iOS doesn’t do is transfer your apps – but seeing as some of the applications from Google aren’t available on iOS, it’ll give you a chance to shed all those little used apps you’ve been hoarding for a while!

Got a questions on setting up your new iPhone? Then post it below!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
This is super helpful! When I switched to an iPhone from my old Samsung I couldn't figure out how to get everything across, so I had to start fresh and just put everything from my Samsung onto my laptop.

Wish I'd had this guide then! 😂

Rebecca

Hi I have my new sim but I have another no the new no is 07915976012 but I wanted to keep my old no 07761465698, a chap from Carphone warehouse did everything and he sorted it but never told me about the new no, is it only a temporary no until I put the sim in need eventually go to my old no have I got this right need help and advise, please struggle ringing different people to get an answer then you sent your letter ,so problem over to you thanks a lot 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Hi @Barbaraann 

Welcome to the iD Community.

Please contact our Live Chat team who are able to assist with account related support.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/contact-us  

They’re available between 9am - 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am - 6pm Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately, we’re currently working on reduced staff due to COVID-19, and the team are extremely busy, so the Live Chat button may not always appear as ‘available’.

If so, it may be a matter of waiting, until an agent is available, so please be patient.

Once the agent is available the button appears blue, indicating that an agent is available.

No need to refresh the page, this will happen automatically.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

Pearl

Why iD Mobile?