Tutorial

Capping explained – how to adjust your pre-set cap

• 16 March 2018
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge
Capping is a feature is on all iD plans.

*As of the 1st October 2018, we have updated our capping policy, so that you can now cap at £0. For more details on this update and further information on Bill Capping click here.

It puts a capped limit on your out-of-plan spend, so you’ll never get shocked with an unexpectedly large bill.
So, if you use up an allowance and start getting charged at our out-of-plan rates, you’ll get stopped from spending any more when you reach your cap.

Your cap is automatically pre-set at £5 (or at your credit limit if your plan is older than 15 November 2017), and can be adjusted between £5 and your credit limit.

Here’s how to do this:
• Select 'Services’ from the bottom menu of the app (or ‘My Services’ if you’re in My Account.)
• Then select ‘Edit my capped limit’. You can then move the slider anywhere between £5 and your credit limit.

That’s all there is to it. And you can adjust your cap as often as you like.
If you’ve any questions or comments on Capping, let’s hear them!

8 replies

Userlevel 1
This is a fabulous feature of iD plans, love it!
Userlevel 2
Yep , great if you’ve got kids , recently saved me from a possibly large bill , I had set it to £10 , he reached that so thanks ID , I have reset it back to a fiver as didn’t like the £10 shock.
Userlevel 1
Need to have the option of capping it at £0 I’m a student and I hate having to waste another £5 of my money.
Need to have the option of capping it at £0 I’m a student and I hate having to waste another £5 of my money.

I agree. It's a great feature to have, and I use it on my child's account, but I would like to be able to set the cap to zero to ensure he is not able to exceed his monthly allowances, even by £5.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Need to have the option of capping it at £0 I’m a student and I hate having to waste another £5 of my money.I agree. It's a great feature to have, and I use it on my child's account, but I would like to be able to set the cap to zero to ensure he is not able to exceed his monthly allowances, even by £5.

Hi Marouf14 and Phil_P,

I can see you've also responded on a topic created recently regarding this.

You can see the response here: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/bills-allowances-charges-capping-21/phone-capping-216

Mohammed
Userlevel 1
I agree, especially when my kid uses 120mb over his allowance and I have to pay a 100% top up on top of my monthly fiver. If this is not sorted, I will be leaving.

Need to have the option of capping it at £0 I’m a student and I hate having to waste another £5 of my money.I agree. It's a great feature to have, and I use it on my child's account, but I would like to be able to set the cap to zero to ensure he is not able to exceed his monthly allowances, even by £5.

Dear ID/Mohammed,

I couldn't agree more with Hugh, Marouf14, and Phil on this subject.

I am a new customer, (I signed up yesterday) and I have used my £5 cap already. I didn't even intend to but it's quite easy to do if one calls "the wrong" no.; it was 40p a minute to my bank.

Are there any plans to allow a customer to set the cap to £0?

... If not, then I believe I'll leave within 14 days. It should always be up to the customer to set their limits.

I look forward to hearing your response. And I don't want to have a link pasted to the page explaining what capping is and how to set it - I've already read that.

Kind Regards,
Ali
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Dear ID/Mohammed,

I couldn't agree more with Hugh, Marouf14, and Phil on this subject.

I am a new customer, (I signed up yesterday) and I have used my £5 cap already. I didn't even intend to but it's quite easy to do if one calls "the wrong" no.; it was 40p a minute to my bank.

Are there any plans to allow a customer to set the cap to £0?

... If not, then I believe I'll leave within 14 days. It should always be up to the customer to set their limits.

I look forward to hearing your response. And I don't want to have a link pasted to the page explaining what capping is and how to set it - I've already read that.

Kind Regards,
Ali

Hello @AliYurt,

Welcome to the iD Community.

This question has already been answered previously on the community here: https://community.idmobile.co.uk/bills-allowances-charges-capping-21/why-can-t-we-cap-at-0-327

We don't have the ability at this moment in time to lower the cap past £5.00.

Therefore there aren't any plans we provide that offer £0.00 capping.

We've previously fed this back to the team as you may find popular request on the Community for this feature.

Mohammed