Skip to main content
Solved

5G reception but quality is rubbish

• 18 May 2024
  • 9 replies

Ive got 5G signal 3 bars and most calls wont connect as if it times out, those that did the quality is so bad i cant have a conversation. Just switched to ID from O2 so hope this isnt the service I expect

9 replies

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

Hi @Kevin Hunter,

Welcome to the Community!

Do you get any error messages and are you able to receive incoming calls.

Have you tried switching to 4G coverage to see if calls improve?

Kash

Ive got 5G signal 3 bars and most calls wont connect as if it times out, those that did the quality is so bad i cant have a conversation. Just switched to ID from O2 so hope this isnt the service I expect

I feel your pain, my phone is a workplace & I end up shouting at people I've called as 90% of the time they struggle to hear me! 

This is affecting my business so much I'm heading towards cancelling this contract as I'm not getting what I've paid for!

Userlevel 1

Hi @Pete Davis , Is this the same issue? I would recommend ensuring VoLTE / 4G Calling is enabled in your device settings, and switching the connection to 4G to see if this helps. 

Ed

So how does switching to 4g resolve the problem with so many 5g masts around as I've never had to do that before I moved to id?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Pete Davis 

Have you tried it?

It may be that the 5G in the area is weaker and 4G is stronger, therefore worth switching over to it.

Tom

There are 5G masts everywhere around here & never had this problem with EE so why would I need to adjust my phone to 4G & if that does fix it why do we even have 5G masts all over?

Userlevel 8
Badge +6

Hi @Pete Davis 

Not all masts are shared between every network, it may have worked with EE, that doesn’t mean it would work with us, we do not share our network with EE, we share our network with Three UK.

Your signal will not be the same as it was with EE.

Tom

So the 3 network is not as good as ee?

Userlevel 8
Badge +7

@Pete Davis,

All networks will have different levels of coverage in different areas as the coverage is dependent on the mast locations.

Some networks will have better coverage in some areas than others.

Kash