Skip to main content

Last year my wife and I bought a pixel 8 and contract each from iD mobile.

We are both experiencing very poor performance using when trying to make or receive calls using the iD mobile sim.

By far the worse is receiving calls. Quite often the phone itself rings, but when we answer the call there is just silence the other end.  On a number of occasions we have waited for important phone calls and when we answered the call couldn’t speak to the person on the other end. We thought maybe it was the ‘wifi calling’ option that was the problem, but disabling that has not helped.

When trying to make calls, we have noticed a huge lag in entering the phone number and the call being connected. I’m talking 10s or more. Then when the call does connect the person on the other end can often not make out what we are saying as the call quality is so poor.

We now have a 2nd sim in our phones with another provider as it is the only way we can reliably make and receive calls with a decent quality of service. I have had to add a voicemail message to my iD mobile number asking callers to call my other number in order to make use of my phone. It’s worth pointing out that it took me 3 attempts to set my voicemail, as the first 2 had such poor call quality that I had to re-record it 3 times before the voicemail was legible.

We are now tied in to a 2 year contract paying for a service we are hardly using as well as paying for a cheap 2nd sim to make calls.  Is there a problem with the phone, sim or location (BS36 area)? The alternative sim we are using has none of these problems.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi @KnightOfNi 

I’m sorry to hear this, if two separate iD Mobile SIM cards are having the same issue, it sounds like an issue with coverage.

Please could you let us know the full postcode(s) where you’re having issues?

How long have you had issues here?

Tom

Hi, thanks for the response. The postcode is BS36 2TQ. We have had the issues since getting the contract around 8 months ago and have been trying all sorts to get a reliable service. We are both now trying to avoid using the sim where possible, and are making use of a secondary (e-sim) we have installed in the phones.

Sounds like the network used by your secondary eSIM plan has better coverage and capacity in your main locations, @KnightOfNi

Unfortunately, the different UK mobile networks don’t always work equally well in any given location - many factors can cause performance differences between the UK networks.

Hi @KnightOfNi 

I’m not seeing any suggestion that the postcode BS36 2TQ should have coverage issues, are you still having issues?

I see you’ve mentioned issues since joining iD Mobile, all iD Mobile plans have the option to return in their returns period based on being unhappy with the signal, was this not considered?

Please let us know if so so we can get in touch.

We’ll be able to get in contact with you to assist here, or for a quicker service, we’d recommend using the Live Chat, Facebook or Twitter.

Tom

Hi,  no I wasn’t aware there was an option to return after using the handset and service for a while. Also I may not have realised the service was so poor within the return period as this was a whole new phone number and phone (no switching) so I wasn’t using the phone fully from day 1 and slowly moving friends and family over to using the new number.

The ID mobile sim is now relegated to an emergency backup option. I can’t make or take any calls reliably through it, whether I’m at home or not. I was in London a couple of weekends ago, and there was zero data available (unlimited data on the contract so I still had it as my data provider) so I had to switch that to my 2nd sim too. Maybe there is a problem between ID mobile and the Pixel 8?  Either way, I cannot wait for the contract to come to an end as the mobile service is totally useless to me.

Having said that, the deal which included a Pixel 8 was decent even if I only got the hardware out of it, so I’m not too bitter about it all.