Skip to main content
Solved

Hotspot only giving 60-80MB/s yet my phone on 5G has 350-500MB/s

• 23 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, does anyone know how to get faster speeds when connecting to a mobile hotspot as mine seem unusually low? It seems I’m getting a fraction of my actual speed and I’m not sure why.

My actual phone’s speeds are between 350MB to 500MB/s which I consider good, but when hotspot is connected from my PC I’m only getting 60MB to 80MB.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy M53 5G

ID mobile package: Unlimited data/calls/texts

PC: Windows 11

Thanks

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Evening @40nm CECHA00,

Unfortunately, almost all phones will provide limited hotspot speeds, to preserve their Battery Life and prevent Overheating.

Thanks.

Userlevel 1

Evening @40nm CECHA00,

Unfortunately, almost all phones will provide limited hotspot speeds, to preserve their Battery Life and prevent Overheating.

Thanks.

Thanks for the response.

With your comment I had an idea to charge my phone so it is charging while the hotspot is active. This actually helped me get up to 120MB/s which is far better than what I was getting before. While not near enough of my 5G speeds, it should be good for now.

Userlevel 1

Further update, in the interests of helping others

• If the phone isn’t charging while hotspot is active, you’ll get lower speeds
  • Using 5GHz band on my hotspot bumped it up to 200MB/s from 120MB/s
  • Disconnecting my hotspot and then USB tethering it to my PC (USB-C to USB-C cable) I was able to get an even better 300MB/s. However, the phone does feel a lot hotter although seems to tolerate it well with no temperature warnings or anything.

I consider the thread resolved now with these findings :)