Skip to main content
Solved

Mobile Data not working on brand new phone/sim card

• 21 May 2024
  • 4 replies

I got new contract with iD Mobile last week to include a new phone. I arranged for my old number to be switched over on 16th May, which all happened OK.

The problem is my new phone only works with the WIFIturned on, and I can only call or text when I have WIFI. The moment I turn WIFI off or if I leave the house I can’t use my phone at all.

After several attempts to try and find a phone number to speak to a human at ID mobile, I used the online chat which was no help at all. I kept being asked the same questions and going round in circles.

The online chat asked if the sim worked in my old phone and yes it does, I get 4G straight away.

They tried to tell me that it was my new phone - the brand new phone which I bought on contract from ID Mobile.

The online chat said they would send me another new sim card which arrived today and I have the same problem again…..no mobile data. If i leave the house the phone is useless (emergency calls only).

Please can someone help me? I am now putting an official complaint into ID mobile as I have had the phone nearly a week and can’t use it the moment I leave the house.

Is it worth going into a Carphone Warehouse/Currys shop for help?

No signal wherever you go seems strange, @claireherbert12

Does the iD SIM work in another handset?

Yes if I put sim in my old phone, mobile data works no problem. Just doesn't work in my brand new samsung galaxy s24! Also doesn't show my ID network under Network Operators function.

That’s seems to suggest the brand new Samsung handset might the issue, @claireherbert12

Currys might be an option for getting confirmation of whether or not the handset is faulty.

Hi @claireherbert12 

I would agree with @andewhite that if the SIM works in another device, this suggests more a device issue, not a SIM/network one.

It may be worth trying a network settings reset;

For iPhone;

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset eDevice] > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

For most Android;

Settings > System > Reset options > Reset Wi-Fi, mobile & Bluetooth

For Samsung; 

Settings > General management > Reset > Reset mobile network settings

Resetting network settings will NOT reset any personal data (Photos, Videos, Contacts etc) only network settings.

Tom