Skip to main content

I have a pixel 7 and switched to ID around June. I noticed that my phone is unable to connect to the internet when on 4G, but the symptoms suggest this is a bit more complicated. The issue is usually reserved to very specific areas and is completely consistent. Here are a few things I observed:

• when connected to a “dedicated” (still NSA, but C-band) 5G tower, the connection is perfectly fine.
  • Certain spots where I’d expect normal coverage there is no connection, those are city centres and I seem to have all bars of signal strength, 4G connection, but no internet access.
  • This is not a slow or sporadic connection but outright no access.
  • This is sometimes accompanied by an exclamation mark next to the signal bar (unfortunately, android doesn't provide much in terms of network diagnostics)
  • in some other areas, the phone quickly toggles between 4G and 5G, again all bars of signal strength, but settles back on 4G which doesn't work
  • According to the coverage checker and status checker, there should be excellent 4G access in those spaces and 5G available outdoor, neither of which are present and no faults are active.
  • Other handsets that are connected to the Three’s network in those exact spots have no issues
  • the problems are consistent in terms of the same area, and happen at all times during the day, suggesting it’s not a problem with congestion (checked very late when absolutely no soul is around)

If there is any more information I can provide to troubleshoot this, I’d be happy to do so. The fact that this seems to be isolated to iD and not Three (other handsets working fine, which have a Three plan) makes me suspect some configuration problem, but I’m not an expert on the matter.

Seems the pixel 7 is known for dropping connections. Are you able to try another vendors SIM to establish the phone itself isn’t a part of the problem?

Have you tried to reset the connection?  I hear this can help. To assume for android:

•    On the Pixel 7, head to your settings.
  • In Network & internet, tap Internet.
  • At the top, locate and tap the network reset button.

Have you tried resetting the handset?  This forces the connection to re-establish on the way up. A bit over the top for such, but the reset should clear out anything in memory footprint that might interfere.

I reboot my phone at least once a month for security updates and restarting my network does help but only very briefly. I have had other providers and other SIM cards in the handset, both physical and eSIM and all worked fine.

Hi @jmczarny,

Have you tried the iD SIM in another phone to replicate the fault? We understand this isn’t necessarily possible for everyone to test.

Have you had a replacement iD SIM, or have you just tested other SIM cards in your phone?

-Lauren

I have an eSIM so cant really try it on another phone. I tried other SIMs, not replacements on my phone

Hi @jmczarny,

I would advise contacting our Live Chat Team so that they can carry out further troubleshooting.

Kash