Skip to main content

For some time now my phone calls are failing.  When making a call, it connects (80% of the time) but after the call starts it gets progressively worse after a few seconds, going form patchy to complete failure and cut off.   It’s getting silly now. The fundamental function of a phone is to make phone calls and it doesn’t.

signal is very good with 4G.  Same thing happens on Wi-Fi calling with very good internet connection and speed.  It’s not a signal issue.  All phones are modem iPhones and all have the same problem so not an old phone issue or individual phone issue - We have 4 ID SIM contracts in our house and all are experiencing the same problem.

Tried the make a complaint form but you get no confirmation anything has been sent or received.  Tried the online chat but only got a robot or human unable to think for themselves.  Not had any emails back.  Not had any calls back, not that they’d work anyway!

please can someone advise when the network is going to be fixed.  Area is Cornwall TR13

Also tried network status checker and it says the same vague thing for months with no update.  We’re working on the network and will post updates here…. But no updates ever.

Also tried network status checker and it says the same vague thing for months with no update.  We’re working on the network and will post updates here…. But no updates ever.

Doesn’t sound great @IDProblems

Had a similar network status message in my area for nearly 12-months, so don’t hold-your-breath. Nor could / would anybody find out (from Three UK) the completion date.

My guess is Three UK are working on their backhaul network infrastructure and cell towers, in your area, in preparation for their 3G network shutdown across the UK by end of 2024.

For anyone else with the same problem, I have found an interim solution with absolutely no help or response from ID.  Customer service is non existent, they just don’t respond at all.

Anyway, turns out that basically the VoLTE calling is not fit for purpose.  If you have the same problem go to (on iPhone) Settings: Cellular: Cellular Data Options: and turn off VoLTE.

For anyone that does not know, the “upgrading” of the network essentially means that calls are made via VoLTE as opposed to a traditional phone call.  VoLTE essentially means that you are using data to make the call a bit like if you use internet calling when connected.  It also makes calls higher definition, so more data is needed to support the quality (of not) of the call.  In my area certainly, the network is not sufficient to support this and the call degrades and then cuts off even with full signal.  Even with a perfect internet connection the calls still fail which indicates the network is just not capable of supporting these calls as opposed to not being a fast enough connection.

By switching back to the older style of calling (as explained above)at normal quality, calls work fine.

However eventually they will switch the old ‘actually working’ way of making calls off and everyone will be forced to use VoLTE.  Anyone in my area on ID will simply not be able to make calls when this happens so will need to find a new provider unless they fix this.  Also anyone with an older phone that doesn’t support VoLTE will not be able to make calls anywhere in the UK or EU where 3G is switched off.

looks like a great way for ID to lose loads of customers and an industry wide scam to sell new phones.  Think about older people comfortable with a simple to use brick.  Soon it wont work!

Thanks for sharing this workaround, @IDProblems

Not sure an iPhone with 5G capability has an option in the Settings app to turn off VoLTE.  

Hi @IDProblems,

Welcome to the Community!

Three, iD Mobile’s network partner, has announced it’s phasing out its 3G network and will be switching it off by the end of 2024. At the same time, they’ll continue to invest in rolling out 4G and 5G, meaning more people in more places will be able to take advantage of being on the UK’s Fastest 5G Network, as awarded by Ookla™️.

Please visit the Article below for further information on the 3G Switch off.

Kash

Getting fed up with phone not being able to access connections and being cut off constantly 

Hi @Jewelslatham22 

Sorry to hear this, could you give us a little more information as to your issue here?

Please could you let us know the postcode(s) where you’re having these issues?

Tom