Question

Why would my id mobile phone not work in the USA?

my id phone would not work at all in the USA. I have a Samsung A14 the problem was the id contract and not the phone.  

We were in Wyoming for 2 weeks and Id were absolutely useless and provided no support. 

Once we left Denver and went up into Wyoming the phone was dead which was rubbish as the hire car sat nav needed Google Maps via the phone. So we were blind until I could get a paper map. 

It was a disaster and nearly spoiled the holiday. 

When in a hotel and on their wi-fi I tried to contact id but they make it impossible to get through. 

The chat room helpers are awful

I paid extra (£25) to get more data (as I thought that the problem) and was then told I could not use that extra data until I got back to the uk...which was infuriating. Please refund me £25. 

Im trying to contact id now im back in the uk but they hide and don't give phone numbers or email adress so I hope one of you guys at id answers this. 

Absolutely ridiculous….please explain why you don't cover USA or at least warn users spy they are not left in a mess.

Steve Beder. 

11 replies

my id phone would not work at all in the USA. I have a Samsung A14 the problem was the id contract and not the phone.  

We were in Wyoming for 2 weeks and Id were absolutely useless and provided no support. 

Once we left Denver and went up into Wyoming the phone was dead which was rubbish as the hire car sat nav needed Google Maps via the phone. So we were blind until I could get a paper map. 

It was a disaster and nearly spoiled the holiday. 

When in a hotel and on their wi-fi I tried to contact id but they make it impossible to get through. 

The chat room helpers are awful

I paid extra (£25) to get more data (as I thought that the problem) and was then told I could not use that extra data until I got back to the uk...which was infuriating. Please refund me £25. 

Im trying to contact id now im back in the uk but they hide and don't give phone numbers or email adress so I hope one of you guys at id answers this. 

Absolutely ridiculous….please explain why you don't cover USA or at least warn users spy they are not left in a mess.

As it stands IDMobile doesn't have a roaming package or agreement for the USA. 

thats from elsewhere on the “community”. 

Why don't id have an agreement? 

Very poor service. 

I have waited for over ½ on “live chat” and it just dropped out. 

it did offer me a “satisfaction survey” though...ha ha ha. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Best to check your phone providers international options, before you leave.

id Mobile is an online service, so there’s no phone support. 

Use CHAT, or direct message them via social media.

id treat their customers very badly. 

I did check id before I left...I expected it to be expensive. id show the tariffs for calls and data. 

now im back in the uk I learn id just don't have an agreement with the use operators...thats why im furious..I did check first!

Calls to UK* £1.68 £1.68
Calls to United States* £1.68 £1.68
Calls received* £1.50 £1.50
Texts to United States** £0.42 £0.42
Texts to UK** £0.42 £0.42
Picture message (MMS) sent** £0.60 £0.60
Internet and Data (per MB)*** £0.30 £0.30

thats their usa published tariff..but it just don't work when you get there. 

thats why im fuming...I checked and they did not deliver. then “live chat” encouraged me to pay £25 more for more data which I cant access until back in the UK...how stupid!

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

Yeah, the Live Chat can be a lottery on occasions, @Steve Bedder

You might’ve had a better experience contacting iD support by sending a private message using Facebook Messenger, or X (formerly Twitter).  

If your iD account bill cap was £0, then iD roaming in the USA wouldn’t have worked. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Steve Bedder 

Sorry to hear you had this experience.

Add ons cannot be used in non-inclusive roaming zones and unfortunately cannot be refunded.

While in the USA, our customers will be able to use AT&T and T-Mobile, however this is at an extra cost based on the usage while there.

If issues come up, it’s always worth trying to manually connect to the above networks, instead of relying on automatic network connection, or even while you’re there, trying a network settings reset on your device.

It’s also worth noting that if your bill cap was £0, you wouldn’t have been able to use any premium services that would cost you extra, such as roaming in a non-inclusive zone like the USA.

Tom

Tom,

look at my bill this month..its outragous..you have taken money and not provided services. think about it.

I managed to “talk” to your live chat from America (by hotel wi-fi) and appeal for help getting my phone working so I could get data and use the car sat nav / google maps.   

The “live chat” “assistant” suggested I buy more data, which I did at £25 and I raised the cap. Why do that if it don't work where I was located? Mis-information. 

I would have happily paid the 30p per megabyte..but your stupid restrictions and rules would not let this happen. 

Why sell your customers things which don't then work? 

You have also charged me for “roaming” in USA which I was unable to do.

Most annoying is that before we travelled to USA I looked at your web site, to check my phone would work, and checked out the USA charges..which I have pasted several messages above. 

Regards your information above..you should display that “new information” next to the tariff table so travellers know what to do before they go..much better than abandoning them when they get there. 

My position remains you do not inform or support your customers adequately, you took additional monies under false pretences (your |live chat advice was incorrect). 

You should now refund or credit me the additional charges you took while I was in USA. (the £25 extra data plus the roaming charge). 

Get your facts right and provide a decent customer service. 

Steve Bedder.