Question

CGNAT

• 22 October 2023
  • 3 replies

Will the iD one sim card allow inbound traffic to be initiated on a specified port that is assigned to me mobile/router?.  Basically if I have a email server listeding on prt 465 or 567 will it work or does iD mobile use CGNAT that will cause a problem with the email MX set to the IP assigned to my connection.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi @jbowsher,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately I’m unable to provide much information on this.

However all MVNO’s using the Three network use CGNAT which means that iD Mobile also uses CGNAT.

Kash

Unfortunately still need to know the answer to the key question.  Basically if inbound traffic initiating a connection on a specified port to the public IP assigned to me SIM connect will get forward to me.

Userlevel 8
Badge +9

I’d say you’re unlikely to get an answer from iD Mobile @jbowsher.
I suspect they’d need to ask Three, and it appears communications between Three and iD are often somewhat pedestrian at the best of times. 

I think you’ll need to test your mobile broadband router (with say a PAYG iD SIM card), and see if external users can access the SMTP server you’re running behind the router’s firewall. 

iD probably haven’t anticipated inbound SMTP traffic to a non-mobile phone device, because they specifically state their SIM cards are only supported for use in approved handsets.

Why iD Mobile?